Why your Pilot's Certificate is not a "License"

Reaction score
Ever wonder why your pilot’s “license” is really a pilot’s “certificate?” Or did you even know (or care)?

One of the most common sayings in aviation is that your pilot certificate is a license to learn, and your non-flying friends and family members will always think of that precious bit of plastic as your “pilot’s license.” You might have noticed, though, that the term “license” doesn’t appear in official documents.

Read why, here.

This reminds be a bit of the Driver's License. In the US, the DMV gives you the license, but it is up to you to make sure you (and others) are safe when you drive. In fact, in the US, a driver's license is NOT a right, it is a PRIVILEGE. You want to drive? Ok, here is a license, you can drive, but make sure you are safe to others, and we'll be watching, if you mess up, we'll revoke that privilege. In the US, you never earn the 'right' to drive ...

See any 'similarity' ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
A cousin of mine, flies with the Civilian Aviation now, went through rigorous training (of course) and I remember him telling me: The FIRST thing they teach you in flight school ... is to LAND a plane, NOT take-off. This was 30+ years ago, not sure if this has changed much. Though, when flying my drone, I'm always more 'nervous' about landing than I am about taking off.

Last edited:
A cousin of mine, flies in the Civilian Aviation now, went through rigorous training (of course) and I remember him telling me: The FIRST thing they teach you in flight school ... is to LAND a plane, NOT take-off. This was 30+ years ago, not sure if this has changed much. Though, when flying my drone, I'm always more 'nervous' about landing than I am about taking off.

The more you land the less nervous you will be!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The FAA covered this a little bit in a recent newsletter. They don't cover is exactly but they go over the certificate versus rating, etc. There's a drone only version of the newsletter here. (Link will take you directly to the page with the article). Not sure the exact answer though.

Ever wonder why your pilot’s “license” is really a pilot’s “certificate?” Or did you even know (or care)?

One of the most common sayings in aviation is that your pilot certificate is a license to learn, and your non-flying friends and family members will always think of that precious bit of plastic as your “pilot’s license.” You might have noticed, though, that the term “license” doesn’t appear in official documents.

Read why, here.
becasue without the medical certificate you STILL can't fly?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen