Why wi-fi downlink doesn't try to reconnect after signal loss?

Reaction score
Is this normal?

When I'm testing in my home in wi-fi rich environment (16 networks around, including 3 of mine) the link always gets lost after a minute or so, the app goes gray, led on transmitter goes red. Radio contact is still OK, so there is control over the drone, phone is still connected to transmitter's WiFi, so it's the wifi downlink between P3S and transmitter, however it only restores connection if I turn P3S off and on again. Otherwise it stays disconnected (probably won't trigger RTH because there is radio contact, just no downlink)

I don't understand why it doesn't try to reconnect? Is there a way to help it reconnect in-flight? Have I waited not long enough (a couple of minutes)? It really should try to reconnect if wifi is lost, it's a trivial thing, I wonder why it doesn't do that. Maybe there is something wrong with my P3S?

I don't understand how the RC light is red and you claim to still have control. o_O

The wifi is the video downlink correct? 5.8 G
If I lose the video and once I get back into range it comes back on.
Am I wrong here? Probably...lol

I think the light turns red when It can't see the bird.
When you have activated RTH, It flashes red and beeps.
Mine is not reconnecting like I remember.

Is this normal?

When I'm testing in my home in wi-fi rich environment (16 networks around, including 3 of mine) the link always gets lost after a minute or so, the app goes gray, led on transmitter goes red. Radio contact is still OK, so there is control over the drone, phone is still connected to transmitter's WiFi, so it's the wifi downlink between P3S and transmitter, however it only restores connection if I turn P3S off and on again. Otherwise it stays disconnected (probably won't trigger RTH because there is radio contact, just no downlink)

I don't understand why it doesn't try to reconnect? Is there a way to help it reconnect in-flight? Have I waited not long enough (a couple of minutes)? It really should try to reconnect if wifi is lost, it's a trivial thing, I wonder why it doesn't do that. Maybe there is something wrong with my P3S?
What is most important, does it work good, better or same if you are in what I call Clean Air?

Mine is always green unless signal is lost. When close enough, it always reconnects. The video coming back on however, is a crapshoot at best.

Mine is always green unless signal is lost. When close enough, it always reconnects. The video coming back on however, is a crapshoot at best.
When you loose your video the light stays green, hum, guess I need to test again, trying to get all this info put together. CrapShoot?, that we be like me Trap Shooting.

No, I said the video coming back on after the RC reconnects with the aircraft (green light) that getting video back is a crapshoot. Either the screen is frozen on the last frame received before losing signal, or it is a blank screen...flying blind either way.

Ok, I think.
Anytime you loose FPV or Data from the Bird to the remote the remote light will go red, even though you can still operate the Bird.

Red light on Remote will return to green when the remote signal is received from the bird, camera image may not always return.

If the Bird looses Remote signal but the remote still sees the bird then the APP displays Lost Remote Signal and gives you a chance to touch RTH and after few seconds of lost signal it automatic activates RTH.
So is the Remote light Red? Then if in RTH is active the light is flashing red and beeping?

No, the red in this case only indicates the loss of wifi downlink (video and telemetry). Radio control is still OK and P3S doesn't initiate RTH and is fully controllable. RTH can be manually initiated from the transmitter by the S2 switch. Why the hell it doesn't try to just reconnect downlink - that I don't understand...

No, the red in this case only indicates the loss of wifi downlink (video and telemetry). Radio control is still OK and P3S doesn't initiate RTH and is fully controllable. RTH can be manually initiated from the transmitter by the S2 switch. Why the hell it doesn't try to just reconnect downlink - that I don't understand...
Thanks for the update, I didn't have time to fly when I got home.

Isn't the video reconnect issue one of the main things mentioned in the release notes from the recently released firmware update? Have you tested with the latest firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did long distance test and I lost signal when my Phantom was 12600 ft away. RTH was triggered although I didn't know because I lost contact with the Phantom. I didn't turn off anything and patiently waited for 6 minutes when it was about 3000 ft away. WiFi took longer to reconnect because it requires ALL 512 bytes in the packet receive in order to establish the WiFi handshake.

I know my biggest issue is pointing the remote at the bird when i can't see it LOL that seems to be that hard part for me, I try to align it...

Isn't the video reconnect issue one of the main things mentioned in the release notes from the recently released firmware update? Have you tested with the latest firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, I have the latest firmware (that was a scare when wifi was lost during update a few times leading to screaming drone!) I only tested at home, where it loses wifi because of interference (I think). I only flown once outside - it was never more than 10 meters from me, no problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl