Why am I seeing a lot of arms/props in unedited videos?

Reaction score
Just finished uploading and viewing some videos on my PC straight from my GoPro Hero3+, why am I seeing loads of props and even plenty of the arms and landing gear (left landing gear), which come up a lot throughout the video much more than all the unedited videos I've seen on YouTube. Any ideas what the deal is?

Depends where it is mounted (is it on the stock mount or on a gimbal). Also depends on your field of view (are you using 1080 wide on the Hero?).

If you have it set to 1440 mode (1920 wide x 1440 high) then you will see a lot more top and bottom .... This view is preferred if you are using the Hero 3 for FPV as you can see more in shot of whats ahead of you while flying but by converting it to 1920 x 1080 mode in post production you loose 'most' of the props and legs.

If you are using a gimbal then it totally depends on how you are flying, what tilt angle you have the camera etc. High wind or aggressive flying will show more prop and leg because the gimbal is fixed and the Phantom is moving a lot in compensation.

You will also always tend to see more left than right as the mount is down the centre axis of the Phantom but the Hero's camera lens is not in the centre of the camera.... net result is more shows on the left than right.

Hope that helps.

DeweyAXD said:
You will also always tend to see more left than right as the mount is down the centre axis of the Phantom but the Hero's camera lens is not in the centre of the camera.... net result is more shows on the left than right.

Hope that helps.

Very good point, hadn't thought of that.

CarlJ said:
DeweyAXD said:

Hope that helps.

Very good point, hadn't thought of that.

Its why Tarot v2 Gimbals are sometimes preferred. They mount the camera lens in the true centre axis.... only problem being you can't get to any of the ports easily because of it (and with a balanced gimbal it isn't exactly an issue anyway).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl