Where do I start in correctly tuning my monitor for video processing & editing?

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best settings for my 43" LG monitor for video editing to get results that will look correct in general, on monitors of others who view my work. I have everything set fairly flat ATM, but I noticed yesterday, on my friend's monitor, my video looks gross and way over saturated with color. Does this Image, taken as a video still, look way over saturated to you? Where, if need be, should I start making setting adjustments to my monitor? Thank you in advance.
P4P0051_DR.19420.Still001.jpg

One thing is that even if your monitor is calibrated, your video still might look over saturated on your friends monitor. Most monitors, TVs, phones, and tablets over-saturate colors on video. Your picture does look saturated, but not terribly oversaturated. I think it looks fine, but yes it is always a good idea to calibrate your monitor, especially if your videos are going to show on many different screens, so the Base Video has correct color, in case it just happens to display on a properly calibrated television.

Reactions: Ripper7620
One thing is that even if your monitor is calibrated, your video still might look over saturated on your friends monitor. Most monitors, TVs, phones, and tablets over-saturate colors on video. Your picture does look saturated, but not terribly oversaturated. I think it looks fine, but yes it is always a good idea to calibrate your monitor, especially if your videos are going to show on many different screens, so the Base Video has correct color, in case it just happens to display on a properly calibrated television.
FWIW, my friend's an avid gamer, so I'm sure she had her monitor set to full color saturation.

I disagree on a few points. It’s terribly over saturated. And disagree about tablets and phones. Apple goes out of its way to color calibrate every display on their iPhones and iPads individually (not one profile for a whole display line) So no not everything out the gate is oversaturated. TVS often are set to Vivid Modes in the stores because that’s what sells TVs. Computer monitors are a crapshoot.

The calibrator gets you a correct baseline from which you can work. Doesn’t matter if it looks like crap on your friends monitor afterwards, that’s their issue. At least you know your reference has been calibrated.

Also if you’ve read any of the OPs posts you’ll notice that he’s trying to figure out this whole process of producing professional video. So no, it’s not a good idea, it’s mandatory. ESPECIALLY since he’s decided on Divinci Resolve which is at its core made for... wait for it... COLOR CORRECTION.

Any person who attempts to do anything to any image or video better have a calibrated monitor. Period. End of story.

Reactions: Ripper7620
TVs often are set to Vivid Modes in the stores because that’s what sells TVs.
The torch mode setting on TVs on display at stores is cringe worthy. I'll never understand how a shopper can see those screens and think it looks good. I'm certainly in the minority, but I can hardly look at them.

Reactions: JoBe and ravedog
The torch mode setting on TVs on display at stores is cringe worthy. I'll never understand how a shopper can see those screens and think it looks good. I'm certainly in the minority, but I can hardly look at them.

Because... so shiny!

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl