Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Whats up with customer service?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by buford, Nov 21, 2015.

1. buford

I have owned the p3s for two months. I have never seen a co that has absolutely no customer service. My drone came out of the box with the wrong software, so I contacted them, and got no response. Turned to yt to see how to fix it and found a guy who had the same problem. Followed his lead with turning wifi on and off and communicating with drone in between, and I got it fixed. It flew flawlessly, for 1 flight, then the camera fell off at the magnetic joint. I put it back on, and continued to fly. The camera kept falling off, like on every flight, but I figured with my previous experience the dji service I had better either figure it out, or live with it. It kept doing it for 2 mos, and then the ribbon cable sheared right above the cam. I was dead in the water. I contacted dji, looking for a new ribbon, or a new camera since this one blew apart every time it left the ground. They apologized for my troubles with their product, and if I had any further trouble to contact them. End of conversation. I have kept emailing, sending pictures of the drone, the detached camera, the broken ribbon. No response. I ordered a ribbon from helipal, paid for by me, and due in about a week. I considered ordering a camera/gimbal setup, and using my old one as a spare parts resource, but dji customer service being what it is, I'm not inclined to buy any more of their products. I haven't found a drone yet that flies as good as the dji, or with a camera that takes the same kind of pictures, but I'm looking. Has anyone else found dji to be customer unfriendly? 20151119_121145.jpg 20151119_121218.jpg 20151119_121246.jpg

2. RodPad

#2 RodPad, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Njguy

DJI : one of the possible best drones DJI: one of the possible worts customer service

4. RodPad

Yep, Yep, When I had to send my second one in for repair it had improved.

Buford, If you haven't seen anything until you send your unit in for repair.
    :rolleyes:

5. buford

I don't plan on sending it anywhere. I will try to fix this ribbon episode, and pay for the ribbon myself, but if something else goes wrong, I will attempt a repair. I hope it isn't major, because at that point I will have to go to a storm or a go pro. I hear they're coming out with a drone in the next six months or so.

6. buford

Send it off to dji would be like throwing it in the ocean. I'd never see it again.

7. buford

8. RodPad

Yeah I could see that, you not in their system until they set you up for a repair.
    I am wondering about your problem I have never heard of that happening except crash related. I surprised it didn't rip the cable alot sooner.
    Good Luck.

9. cdronefly

That is extremely rare - in fact almost unheard of - for the stuff to just fall apart without crashing or other incidents. There are now over 1 million Phantoms with gimbal and cam out there and I don't think I have ever run across a claim that these just fell apart on their own....

BUT, the P3S is admittedly their starter (cheapest - by far) model so they obviously had to build it cheaper to sell it at 1/2 the price. Who knows?

One thing for sure - you aren't gonna buy a GoPro drone for even 2X the price of the P3S.

For those who are extra concerned about crashes and problems - my suggestion is to buy the better model(s) and get them from B&H photo where you can buy a 3rd party ST warranty - if anything happens they will fix or repair the unit quickly.

If I had a cam fall off in the first month or two I'd have sent the thing back to the vendor - most cc companies and pp automatically cover you fully for a certain time period (Amazon also).

The P3 is the best bird yet in terms of general reliability - at the same time so many of them are being sold and flown that more problems than ever crop up also (just statistics - sell more, fly more and more break).

10. buford

Yeah, I figured a go pro drone wasn't going to be cheap. But this has worked into a little more than a hobby, so if I'm gonna continue to fly, I have to have a drone that works, and maybe keep the phantom(if I can repair it) as a back up. As far as the fact that it seems like a crash related issue, I started out flying cheap drones and got my crashes, at least the pilot error ones, out of the way. I couldn't believe how easy this one was to fly. I've never even nicked a propeller. It has come off while driving my motorhome from mo to tx. I opened the case I got for it, and the camera was dangling. At any rate, storm, yuneec, and go pro if it ever comes out are on my list. I grew out of the little cars with rubber bands that blow apart when you roll them into something a long time ago.

11. cdronefly

If it's more than a hobby the Inspire is probably calling your name - and/or the Pro bought from B&H with a SquareTrade warranty...and then use the P3S for the backup.

Storm is not a valid choice and Yuneec has shorter range and the image quality is not as good.
    The GoPro drone - well, the company have lost over 3/4 of its market value and the odds of any company getting a drone right on the first shot is about zero (IMHO).

I'm going to CES this year so maybe some new stuff will be coming out - but I doubt anyone is going to leap past DJI for at least a couple years.

12. TC Malker

Swallow your pride and send it in for warranty repair. You had it for 2 weeks dude. If they don't respond, contact your credit card company and file a claim. If u get in touch with DJI be prepared to have your log files checked. They will know if u crashed your bird or not.

13. Matthewd5

I bought mine from Amazon and when two weeks went by with no response either by email or phone I contacted Amazon and they overnighted me a new one and I sent the dead one back...

Buy t from b&h or Amazon

Matthew