What's the difference between the FC40 and a Phantom 1?

Reaction score
I get the impression there is no difference and the FC40 is a P1 with a camera. :?

Welcome to the list Papi.

I hear some vendors are selling P1 using 5.8 ghz, what have you heard Papi?

HailStorm said:
Welcome to the list Papi.

I hear some vendors are selling P1 using 5.8 ghz, what have you heard Papi?

;) Yea, I wasn't gonna go there with Popi.

Ok, lets set things straight.

I have a Phantom FC40, have read lots of stuff about it and really can't find the difference between the current version of the Phantom 1 and what I have. Minus the cute little camera which is collecting dust now that I have a gimbal and a GoPro.

Don't get me wrong, I think the FC40 camera is super cool, especially when I am flying at 8,000 ft Msl and need to reduce my gross weight to increase my flight time.

But seriously, what's the difference? :roll:

I think the crappy camera and the radio frequency, otherwise pretty much the same bird as far as I know.

the Phantom 1 uses 2.4 ghz radio ,the FC40 uses a 5.8 ghz. there are a few other differences but that is the big thing.
the camera uses 2.4 ghz to transmit .the FC40 uses the same radio as the Vision (5.8)
the batteries are the same between the Phantom 1 and FC40. cheap! a great mod is using a Multistar 4000 s3 battery.

Wayne

I think the FC40 also has the spring centered throttle stick where the P1 doesn't. Or at least the older versions do I think. Not 100% sure about that though, just something I noticed on a few P1 flight videos.

Thanks folks,

Yep, I think you're correct. 2.4 vs 5.8, the camera, and I don't know about the control stick.
I have noticed some pics showing 2 circuit boards in the P1 and my FC40 has only one. It looks like they moved the transmitter onto the main board.

Wayne, you're right on with the multistar 4000. I've got 4 and they beat the daylights out of any others I have used. :D

;)

I'm thinking it's likely your FC40 has two boards as well (receiver and main board). You should be able to see this from looking into the battery compartment.

It's open at the moment for some mods. Yep, there's 2. The little bugger is tucked in real close.

Thanks for clarifying CityZen. ;)

IflyinWY said:
It's open at the moment for some mods. Yep, there's 2. The little bugger is tucked in real close.

Thanks for clarifying CityZen. ;)

I swiped the radio out of my FC40 and put it on my new F450 build. As well as the OSD mini,PMU, Fpv and Walkera gimbal .
I need to find another 5.8 radio receiver so I can make the Phantom whole again. The poor guy looks lonely sitting there all by itself

Don't be looking at me for a radio, Tallyrver.
Just because it's opened up doesn't mean I'll part with any of it... :lol:

I'm working on FPV & OSD, when time permits.

Sounds like a cool build. I hear of quite a few FC40 owners using the guts for bigger builds. Are our pieces that good?

I was going to use the parts from the Phantom to build the 450 but decided on buying a Naza lite combo . I took the Naza out of the Phantom and replaced it with the lite.
So all I need is a new radio receiver . :mrgreen:

I was going to use the parts from the Phantom to build the 450 but decided on buying a Naza lite combo . I took the Naza out of the Phantom and replaced it with the lite.
So all I need is a new radio receiver .

I just so happen to have 2 brand new phantom 1 2.4GHz receivers that like a ******* I bought by mistake thinking they would work in a phantom 2 but they dont physically fit in the p2 shell or under the main board right. I'm planing on keeping one of them for a f550 built I might do at some point but id sell you the other one if you want one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl