What's the coldest flying temp?

Nice video, reflects the cold in Calgary.

I read recently that the City of Calgary has announced some very strict regulations regarding drone flights from parks and over the city. Do you happen to know what they are? I'm hoping Lethbridge does not take the same stance as it would stifle drone flights :(

Ditto that here in Ontario- I hear legislators are going to combine recreational and commercial together here(news report) There's dark days ahead. I'm glad I live in the country
-22 is common average temps for this time of month - great video
Where are you Goose

I have flown around 25F. No issues. These are my first flights, so far the aircraft out last my hands. LOL. Going up to northern Wisconsin in a few days, where it will be about 20F. I always leave the aircraft and controller in the box it was shipped with. I think it keeps it warm a little. I don't take it out until I'm on location. And it a good place to set it out of the snow. I also leave it in the box when I'm done and bring it indoors. It keeps the aircraft cool, and allows it to warm up slowly. Better for the electronics. I also always use a fully charged battery. The batts will never have a long life in the cold.

CanuckleHeads don't feel the cold Rudy :)

Reactions: Rudy68
Ditto that here in Ontario- I hear legislators are going to combine recreational and commercial together here(news report) There's dark days ahead. I'm glad I live in the country
-22 is common average temps for this time of month - great video
Where are you Goose
I'm down South of Calgary in Lethbridge. I do a lot of real estate properties in the city and I'm hoping I can continue to do it. I think the few idiots are going to ruin things for the rest of us in time!

I'm down South of Calgary in Lethbridge. I do a lot of real estate properties in the city and I'm hoping I can continue to do it. I think the few idiots are going to ruin things for the rest of us in time!
I hear the new regs will be out in spring-there goes any flying in cities...us country folk will have to rent out air space ;)

I've flown in the lower teens F. Recently I developed small cracks in the motor mount areas of the shell from stress, which I wonder if that could have been increased by recent cold weather flying.

the shell will be more brittle at lower temps for sure- vibration/imbalance can add to it. I flew yesterday morning at -15C / +5F and almost needed to take my coat off LOL
If I understand correctly stress cracks are covered the first year?

the shell will be more brittle at lower temps for sure- vibration/imbalance can add to it. I flew yesterday morning at -15C / +5F and almost needed to take my coat off LOL
If I understand correctly stress cracks are covered the first year?
yeah its amazing when you get to below -10 degrees its colder than a witches tit then when it goes to about 20 degrees it feels like spring lol. Feels almost like shorts weather lol.

Just flew in -19 celcius. Quite windy. Battery stayed above 25 degrees. Was OK!

2aafaef40f419e3469f736bccf165ec8.jpg

This was -24C this morning. Was flying for about 15 min.

However, during yesterday's flight gimbal started to behave erratically after about 5 min, so I returned.

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Today I flew at -29C. No problem with the quad, the problem was my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2) which went from 30% to 1% charge in 10 minutes. Also, when battery reached maybe 15 or 10% it seem to went into power saving mode, cutting down on performance, so video feed become almost unusable.
And then we couldn't start our car :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart