What would you do in this situation?

I would just tell the person that I was working, that when I finished, if they wished to discuss it, I would be happy to do so.

Just smile, give her your business card and kindly ask her to give you a call when she decides to move house.

I do real estate photos too and if the shoot is in a populated area, I usually give a quick call to the local police dispatcher. This was the advice/request of the local police chief. They are always glad to get the notice. Then, if someone like this woman gives you $hit, you can suggest she call the police. They will already know about you and should back you. In any case, seems like you were cool about it.

It is not only flying MRs that you run into people not liking you with a video or even still camera.

In decades of commercial video and photography production. I have many times hired local off duty police to be "security" on shoots. And often I have had to obtain permission from Town/City officials to film. Most municipalities have ordinances about commercial filming.

The best approach is to get permission first. Once you have that it really helps to have "security personnel" often off duty police. This works wonders with local authorities and the general public.

We often shoot for theme parks and when we do, we always cordon off areas where we fly/film to keep the general public out of harms way. The parks always provide lots of security personnel.

At times we have even closed roads for a quick scene with the help of Police officers. They love to help when asked, yes you have to pay, but that is part of video/film production.

Another great way to shoot is to shoot early in the morning, just as the sun is coming up. This is also one of the most beautiful times of day to shoot. Here in the NE that can be at 4 AM. You will have very little general public around then.

If I am shooting somewhere and I see public in the area I have my security people (this is sometimes just my wife with a clipboard and a press pass on her lapel, I always wear one as well) we often ask if people want to be part of the shoot and have them fill in a release form. This often gets them interested in the project and they become very helpful.

In essence I am saying behave in a very professional manner, always listen to and respond politely to anyone approaching your production environment.

I have done this since the 70's and I have never had anyone yell at me or be unreasonable. I have shot with MRs since 2009 and have a 333 and 107. But only a small percentage of our productions involve aerials. We used to use helicopters, and those are very expensive and noisy. MRs are so much better for low level shots we used to to with CableCam or Jibs. But we approach production in the same way no matter how we shoot.

Pre flight planning, Common sense, being professional and polite is the best way to defuse a situation, before it becomes a problem.

Reactions: Richrbg
There's nothing to do. I'm a Dronebase pilot and I do other work. Yes, before I'm asked: I am 107 Certified and North Carolina certified.
You'll understand that while working, there isn't time to deal with people who interrupt. I usually hold up a hand and keep my eyes on my drone while saying something like "I'll be happy to talk to you when I've landed."
Welcome to the double standard of being a drone pilot. People feel it's okay to harrass, interrupt and accuse us of wrongdoing; But it's not okay for us to feel insulted by their actions.

Reactions: Richrbg
With all the bad press drones receive, I think it's important to de-escalate these encounters to help minimize future antagonism. After finishing the shoot, I'd explain to the woman that you're trying to help her neighbors sell their house, and then offer to help her out with similar service if she ever needs it. People fear things they don't understand.

Reactions: John Locke
She wasn't asking a question, just making a statement. I would give a courtesy wave and continue one.

Any high-visibility vest will totally diffuse this situation. And if you look closely, you can determine which high-vis vests are used by your local utility. When people think you work for a utility, they don't bother you.

I was flying my P4P on a mission for Dronebase taking pics of a home for sale. A lady was in her yard across the street and 2 houses down. Her exact words were "if that thing falls in my yard, I am not giving it back, go fly somewhere else, it is very annoying. I indicated it would only take a few minutes to finish my job and she repeated her first comment. I quickly finished my mission and got out of there. Is there something I could of said or done differently?

Do you have a FAA Remote Pilot License?

I am looking for something similar. How / where did you get the lettering on the back???

Also, and this may sound stupid, but for those of us with a 107, are we actually "licensed" or just "certified" (since my paper from the FAA says certificate), and is there a difference? Sorry if I am splitting hairs. Just don't want to tell people I am something I am not.

You are Licensed by the FAA as a Remote Pilot and must comply with the rules and regulations stated in Part 107 and any local statutes.

images
By the way, you don't have a Part 107 "license", it's a certificate. You are certified not licensed, for what it's worth. Nowhere on the card you have does it say "license", it says "Certificate Number". So these vests are slightly misleading. Licensing for a person's privileges usually implies a physical demonstration of skills have been performed, and the card has your photo on it.

I ALWAYS review my objectives with neighbors in this case, then show them examples of images I've taken and my license. In ALL cases, I have gotten permission. Even in cases when I intended to fly over a private resort where it is posted "No Drones Allowed", permission has been granted.

If a property owner says NO, to me that means NO. I don't need to increase any negative PR for myself or for any other drone enthusiasts. It's not worth it.

The following story is along the same lines - but nothing at all to do with drones at all - just human nature.

In about 2006 I had the idea of walking round my own village and taking pictures from street level of what the various streets looked like from ground level. I didn't intend to take "face on" views of the houses - just general street views that would perhaps be of interest to folk who wanted to see what the streets looked like at the early part of the 21st century.

I'd only walked a few streets away from where I live when a man came from one of the houses. "Wot yer doin?"

I explained my project to him.

"Can't do it. Don' want yer tekin pictures er my arse" (translated into "Don't want you taking pictures of my house")

So I stopped taking the pictures and put my camera away.

That didn't seem to please him - he jumped into his car, chased after me and gave me another mouth full. I had decided to just carry on walking and then get home - but he was not having anything of that - he even then blocked the footpath I was walking on and had another verbal go at me.

I did get home without problem when he'd said his bit but I'm still wary when taking pictures - either ground-based or with a drone.

One thing did make me smile in after thought though - there's been another company carrying out exactly the same project - what do they call them - Google Street view?

The lesson to be learned though is that there's some strange folk about - best just pack up, say you're done taking the shots - maybe show them what you've got - and clear off.

Been there done that, I learned to get in, get the shot and get out quickly and if I am approached by an unruly neighbor I politely apologize and state "Im just getting few real estate inspection shots and then I'll be out of your hair, sorry for the intrusion, have a nice day". That has worked several times in the past few years I've been doing this, but for the most part people are friendly and primarily curious. GL

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
By the way, you don't have a Part 107 "license", it's a certificate. You are certified not licensed, for what it's worth. Nowhere on the card you have does it say "license", it says "Certificate Number". So these vests are slightly misleading. Licensing for a person's privileges usually implies a physical demonstration of skills have been performed, and the card has your photo on it.
I'm a CFII and as I always say "same difference." Yes, call it a certificate, if you want to be specific we're all AIRMEN! :)

If you can manage to squeeze out some gushing, soul-wrenching tears and Academy Award-worthy weeping, that usually works on women. She might even give you lunch.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart