What would be the cause of weak/no satellite linking?

Reaction score
Is this just something we have to be prepared to deal with from time to time? I had several "unable to takeoff" messages, a weak satellite signal warning, and after locking on 15 satellites, I had to fly back in Atti mode. I also got compass error readings, so I recalibrated the compass in the field, free of interference to the best of my knowledge, as well as an IMU recalibration, and still the issue persisted. Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Is this just something we have to be prepared to deal with from time to time?
The compass issue, possibly, depending on your takeoff location. GPS should not be an issue unless there is a problem with the aircraft. I realize this is rather vague, but it is not something that should be causing many issues. If this persists you could indeed have an issue with the aircraft. The compass cal, if done correctly should correct the ATTI switch. Also, when calibrating the IMU, it is recomended that you do this in a cool environment, such as in a very cool room, over an AC vent...etc..etc.... Some have gone so far as to refrigerate the aircraft before calibrating. A bit too far IMO, but none the less, that is the point.

Reactions: Ripper7620
The compass issue, possibly, depending on your takeoff location. GPS should not be an issue unless there is a problem with the aircraft. I realize this is rather vague, but it is not something that should be causing many issues. If this persists you could indeed have an issue with the aircraft. The compass cal, if done correctly should correct the ATTI switch. Also, when calibrating the IMU, it is recomended that you do this in a cool environment, such as in a very cool room, over an AC vent...etc..etc.... Some have gone so far as to refrigerate the aircraft before calibrating. A bit too far IMO, but none the less, that is the point.
Thank you for the reply and information, I appreciate it. Before the issue arose, I had a 32,000' flight without any issues, and everything has worked fine with this particular AC for the month I've had it since a Care Refresh exchange after a major crash.

Is this just something we have to be prepared to deal with from time to time? I had several "unable to takeoff" messages, a weak satellite signal warning, and after locking on 15 satellites, I had to fly back in Atti mode. I also got compass error readings, so I recalibrated the compass in the field, free of interference to the best of my knowledge, as well as an IMU recalibration, and still the issue persisted.
A compass error is not a malfunctioning compass - and doesn't need "fixing".
It's a compass working properly to warn you that it's detected a problem with your launch site.
Recalibrating the compass won't fix that.
The solution is to move away from the problem the compass is warning you about.
Recalibrating your compass is never necessary (unless you modify the Phantom).
Recalibrating the IMU because of compass or GPS issues is like adjusting your car's air conditioner because of gearbox problems.

What bird are you talking about? You have a long and winding road of problems, including this one, a crashed drone, a repaired drone and a modified remote. Nothing you have posted about, including this, is or should be part of a normal operating experience. If I incurred the amount of issues you continue to have, quite frankly I'd ground the entire setup for good. I know you were contemplating a p4pv2. Have you gotten one? Anyway seriously, in the name of safety for you and anyone on the ground, put this ill working bird out to pasture. Perhaps under the pasture!

What bird are you talking about? You have a long and winding road of problems, including this one, a crashed drone, a repaired drone and a modified remote. Nothing you have posted about, including this, is or should be part of a normal operating experience. If I incurred the amount of issues you continue to have, quite frankly I'd ground the entire setup for good. I know you were contemplating a p4pv2. Have you gotten one? Anyway seriously, in the name of safety for you and anyone on the ground, put this ill working bird out to pasture. Perhaps under the pasture!
This is the first issue I've had, besides an interference issue, that's to be expected given my main flight route, with this replacement AC. The modified antenna system continues to operate as it's supposed to, within it's limitations.

This is happening to the repaired bird? This may a problem surfacing from that crash. Those error warnings aren't typical. Compass errors are more common. Nothing really to do ecept fly conservatively until you get confident it was a one off thing.

This is happening to the repaired bird? This may a problem surfacing from that crash. Those error warnings aren't typical. Compass errors are more common. Nothing really to do ecept fly conservatively until you get confident it was a one off thing.
I didn't get the same AC back that I crashed, I received a refurbished AC instead. I flew it today, and either the problem is an intermittent one, in which case I'll send it back for repair, or the issue just went away, but either way, I'm being very careful in the manner in which I fly, until I believe the AC is trustworthy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72