What ND filters

Reaction score
Want to get some nd filters , are the polar pro filters better than the dji ones ? I Read about the weight of the polar pro being to heavy for p4p gimble ? Like the idea of the circular polariser but on a drone it would be hard to set up , thanks for your help and input

Want to get some nd filters , are the polar pro filters better than the dji ones ? I Read about the weight of the polar pro being to heavy for p4p gimble ? Like the idea of the circular polariser but on a drone it would be hard to set up , thanks for your help and input
I think the 'Shutter' series are the same form factor as the DJI UV filter and only very slightly more weight (not enough to matter), but the Vivid (which include the polarizer ring) are larger/heavier.

I have both set of Polar Pro filters. The Cinema Series Vivid Collection and Shutter Collection. Both sets work great on the Phantom 4 Pro. And I have had absolutely no gimbal issues using these filters. They work as advertised. I don't know if the Polar Pro filters are better then DJI's filters. But I don't see how the DJI filters could top the Polar Pro filters. They are that good.

Since a polarizer's effect varies with angle, results can appear uneven when using a wide angle lens. Some portions of the scene might be in a direction which is directly into the sun, whereas others might be at a right angle to the sun. In that case, one side of the photo would have a strong polarizer effect, whereas the other side would not.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Maybe worth considering.. DJI ND filters fit in stock gimbal protector. Will need to mod it to fit the PP until they release a polar pro gimbal (and if you think its worth the $$)

**Only for Polar pro ND with Polarisation

Last edited:
Maybe worth considering.. DJI ND filters fit in stock gimbal protector. Will need to mod it to fit the PP until they release a polar pro gimbal (and if you think its worth the $$)
I think the PP Shutter series (ND only) can use the stock gimbal lock, it is the Vivid series (with polarizer) that don't work with the gimbal lock (unless it is modified.)

Polar Pro Shutter Collection is my choice for sure. Don't want to mess with CL Polarizers on this tiny camera and lens. And the gimble protector cover does barely fit but not all the way on. So I just take a Dremel tool and cut out the front part of the stock gimble cover. I did the same thing on my P4 until Polar Pro made a cool gimble protector for it. I'm sure they are gonna make a new one for the P4P asap I'm guessing. I still do need an ND 4 for those late eveing sunset flights though. Wish Polar Pro would make a set with a 4,8,16 and 32. LOL

Reactions: Eddyfisher
Polar Pro Shutter Collection is my choice for sure. Don't want to mess with CL Polarizers on this tiny camera and lens. And the gimble protector cover does barely fit but not all the way on. So I just take a Dremel tool and cut out the front part of the stock gimble cover. I did the same thing on my P4 until Polar Pro made a cool gimble protector for it. I'm sure they are gonna make a new one for the P4P asap I'm guessing. I still do need an ND 4 for those late eveing sunset flights though. Wish Polar Pro would make a set with a 4,8,16 and 32. LOL

I use the ND4/PL in low light from the Polar Pro Vivid Collection. I use the filter for the ND not the PL. Video looked good using this filter in low light.

Why are the DJI filters not available yet for the 4 Pro. Its been out for months. C'mon DJI!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Are the higher number filters (IE 16/32) really that necessary for the pro? Can't you just raise the aperture to compensate and thus have less need for higher ND filters?

Are the higher number filters (IE 16/32) really that necessary for the pro? Can't you just raise the aperture to compensate and thus have less need for higher ND filters?
In bright sunlight even fully stopped down you mat not be able to achieve optimum shutter speed, also lens performance suffers somewhat at very small (physical) apertures so you want to stay away from them if possible. What is 'necessary' is subjective because it varies with intended use (for non-critical use you don't really have to use ND filters at all), but if you want maximum control (i.e. able to hit the aperture/shutter speed/ISO sweet spots) you will want a full set of ND filters.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures