What is the largest thing you have flown? (real or model)

I have never flew anything larger than my drone. But did get to fly in a c-141 simulator in Charleston south Carolina air force base. I was in the army for 8 years and and had some friends that were in the airforce stationed there. We were in the chow hall there and met a guy who was in charge of she flight simulators there and he let us play a little in that one since the c-17 globelmasters were replacing the c-141s. It was pretty cool even know that was just a cargo plane. Biggest dream would be to fire the main gun from a c131 gunship that would be fun.

Sent from my SM-S975L using PhantomPilots mobile app

IFR certified Piper Archer PA128. The funnest thing was a Cessna C150 when I took spin training. That was a rush!!!

IFR certified Piper Archer PA128. The funnest thing was a Cessna C150 when I took spin training. That was a rush!!!
Back in the 70's when I was a civilian flight instructor, I was the "go to" guy for required spin training. Cessna 150 Aerobat!

I must have done thousands and thousands of spins with new students, commercial upgrades and mainly CFI's who needed the endorsement.

I enjoyed every one of them. The last words from me before the first demonstration spin was "OK, here we go!"

Evidently spin training is not required these days. Too bad. It teaches a LOT to a student. Confidence among other things!

AD (Navy ROTC Primary Instructor about a thousand years ago)

Back in the 70's when I was a civilian flight instructor, I was the "go to" guy for required spin training. Cessna 150 Aerobat!

I must have done thousands and thousands of spins with new students, commercial upgrades and mainly CFI's who needed the endorsement.

I enjoyed every one of them. The last words from me before the first demonstration spin was "OK, here we go!"

Evidently spin training is not required these days. Too bad. It teaches a LOT to a student. Confidence among other things!

AD (Navy ROTC Primary Instructor about a thousand years ago)
I agree, it does teach you a lot of confidence. It's one of the most unusual attitudes a student will encounter and too be honest one of the most spooky attitudes. I always felt it should be at least demonstrated if not required during training. My instructor told me it wasn't required but thought it would benefit me so I happily agreed. I'll admit I grabbed the dash with both hands the first time he demonstrated it. But after doing it several times you get used to it and can concentrate on flying and what's going on. I thanked him for the experience because it's so out of the normal scope of today's private pilot training. That was 2005.

d9323ce75c162e55e4a21c936ee87614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: RemarK
I did not really get to fly this due to separation of responsibilities. I was the Operations Analyst at the Defense Satellite Communications System Operations Center (DSCSOC) at Fort Detrick Maryland.

My controllers did all the telemetry analysis and commanding of the communications payload of the DSCS III satellites. 5 DSCSOCs world wide.

We had the capability to "fly" the satellites, but not the authority except under extreme situations. These birds cost about a billion dollars while in production.

There were ten produced. Still in use today. Don't know how many still support mission now as I am 11 years retired from the Army Space Command.

35 years in Satellite Communications starting with really primitive capabilities to now where everyone has a 18 inch dish on the house getting massive video to their TV sets.

What a long strange ride it has been!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Falcon900
Will a drone really take down a plane? I thought the impact be worse for the drone than the airplane.

I flew a DS-1 with the empire, for Lord Vader....

22935c3c971829db1a86fed1cbf9d405.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka