Weird Incident

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, and new and first time drone owner. I'm a filmmaker and purchased one to expand my production. As i'm still learning the ins and outs of flying these things I had a strange and potentially disastrous experience. Upon flying it without my gopro attached I flew under a telephone wire not too close, I heard a loud spark sound and my phantom shutoff and fell from the sky into a bush. Fortunately it still works with no apparent problems. My question is what exactly happened, and is there any precautions I need to take moving forward (obviously not flying under wires again) but in calibrating or recalibrating?

~Thanks

No clue, but the telephone wire would not have any effect on the Phantom.
BTW - Welcome to the forum. If you post your location in your profile you may discover neighbors with Phantoms.

Are you sure it wasn't a power wire rather than a telephone wire? It states in the manual not o fly too close to power wires cause of interference and such. That could have been the problem but if not, who knows...I would avoid that place from now on either way

dtitus6297 said:
Are you sure it wasn't a power wire rather than a telephone wire? It states in the manual not o fly too close to power wires cause of interference and such. That could have been the problem but if not, who knows...I would avoid that place from now on either way
The manual is wrong. Power lines will not cause interference. There's plenty of people with YouTube videos flying over, under and between high voltage power lines without issue.

I have flown over a few, I still would not get to close because high power electric causing interference is a known fact. Just because it doesn't happen once or ten times doesn't mean it is impossible or the manual is wrong

dtitus6297 said:

That I have no clue, not too knowledgeable when it comes to power lines, it was a single line that crossed from one poll to another. It sounded like it fried my phantom, it was a loud sparking sound, so it didn't abruptly stop or mess with my controls it simply just shut off.

Sounds like a telephone wire to me so I wouldn't be too worried but still not fly past it again. Could have just been static electricity or something like that...

dtitus6297 said:
I have flown over a few, I still would not get to close because high power electric causing interference is a known fact. Just because it doesn't happen once or ten times doesn't mean it is impossible or the manual is wrong
Cite, please.
Electric transmission lines do not radiate any RF energies. They cannot interfere with microwave signals.

Oh....ok. go hover around a transformer and see what happens. Make sure to post video

The telephone and cable drops are always the lowest.

WELCOME TO THE PARTY

I have 2 questions,

Was there very high humidity at the time, or even visible moisture, like rain or drizzle?

How is your depth perception?

Funny that you should ask, it was raining that day, the rain let up and I launched my phantom, so yes moisture was present, my depth perception is good, when it comes to flying this thing not yet, but I was with a ton of people it was film shoot, I know for a fact i didn't hit it, I was for sure under the line or at least in front of it, because I watched as it began to power down. It fell straight from the sky into a bush (thank God)

Sounds like static electricity to me.
Saved by the "BUSH"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The power lines that run along the "TOP" of the utility poles are referred to as "Primary Wires" and typically carry high voltage.
The moisture in the air could have helped transfer some of the electricity to your bird.
Some folks will probably say I'm full of it but you can ask a lineman next time you see one. ;)

FYI:
Never grab a cable hanging from a helicopter which is flying in the rain before the cable touches the ground. :shock:
I did that ONE TIME. ouch :cry:

dtitus6297 said:
Oh....ok. go hover around a transformer and see what happens. Make sure to post video

I don't need to - here's a few who did fly very close to power lines, and in one, a power sub-station.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mgdo6qu0sA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDWY6VY760s[/youtube]

This one is chasing piegons near a power sub-station.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCLqRxDLCI[/youtube]

This one should convince you that power lines are only a threat if you fly into one.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvzqHhZSEtY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWp2g32Tf_E[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IOoF1alLM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKPnk7wIDM[/youtube]

Like I said, some folks will...

Thanks Stevie. Did you consider the RAIN? Cripe.

Still going on and on and on. :roll:

IflyinWY said:
Sounds like static electricity to me.
Saved by the "BUSH"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The power lines that run along the "TOP" of the utility poles are referred to as "Primary Wires" and typically carry high voltage.
The moisture in the air could have helped transfer some of the electricity to your bird.
Some folks will probably say I'm full of it but you can ask a lineman next time you see one. ;)

FYI:
Never grab a cable hanging from a helicopter which is flying in the rain before the cable touches the ground. :shock:
I did that ONE TIME. ouch :cry:

It was either bush or concrete and it was the only bush around lucky I am! Well that makes a hell of lot more sense! Thanks for the clarification, do you recommend me re-calibrating or anything, like I said after it flew just fine no issues at all, just don't want anything unexpected to occur later.

I would do an advanced IMU calibration and do the compass dance too.

A close visual inspection is a great idea as well.
If you're inclined, you could open it and see where the cracking sound came from.
Might be a "soon to fail" electronic part in there just waiting to be found.

I fly close to power lines and a transformer or two regularly.
Just NOT when there is visible moisture or very high humidity.

I wish Stevie would read everything and even try to comprehend what has been written before flapping his yapper.

IflyinWY said:
I would do an advanced IMU calibration and do the compass dance too.

A close visual inspection is a great idea as well.
If you're inclined, you could open it and see where the cracking sound came from.
Might be a "soon to fail" electronic part in there just waiting to be found.

I fly close to power lines and a transformer or two regularly.
Just NOT when there is visible moisture or very high humidity.

I wish Stevie would read everything and even try to comprehend what has been written before flapping his yapper.

I think I'd be in over my head opening her up and trying to comprehend what I'm looking at! But thanks for the advice will do!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl