Weight vs flight time

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could calculate how much weight I can add and how much of a difference that will make in terms of flight time.

Just so that when I'am adding stuff I have a good idea of how it's gonna affect my flying time. Let me know if this makes sense.

- Weight of p3p including battery and propellers is 1280 grams

flight time is 20 min = 1280 seconds ( you can change this number to actual flying time)

divide weight (1280) by time (1200) = 1.06

So this means for every 1.06 grams I add to my drone it will reduce my flying time by a second.

Right ? Or does this not work.

1 gram per second is a ballpark figure that many have been using for some time. Be aware that it is not linear, though. As you continue to add weight, at some point it will not lift off at all and your flight time will be zero. Long before that, it would become a pig in the air.

Hey guys, I wanted to see if I could calculate how much weight I can add and how much of a difference that will make in terms of flight time.

Just so that when I'am adding stuff I have a good idea of how it's gonna affect my flying time. Let me know if this makes sense.

- Weight of p3p including battery and propellers is 1280 grams

flight time is 20 min = 1280 seconds ( you can change this number to actual flying time)

divide weight (1280) by time (1200) = 1.06

So this means for every 1.06 grams I add to my drone it will reduce my flying time by a second.

Right ? Or does this not work.

Good theory.... but I think the "Square Law" applies here somewhere.. I'm not a physicist, but something like this.. "To double your speed through the air you have to quadrupole your power", I'm sure the boffin's out there will advise better.

Waylander

I believe the square law applies to light and how a beam widens from the source. I'am no physicist by any means, I was hoping there was one amongst us that could chime in.

1 gram per second is a ballpark figure that many have been using for some time. Be aware that it is not linear, though. As you continue to add weight, at some point it will not lift off at all and your flight time will be zero. Long before that, it would become a pig in the air.
I wasn't aware of this one gram per second being a "thing" I'am pretty new to the drone world. thanks for your input.

I believe the square law applies to light and how a beam widens from the source. I'am no physicist by any means, I was hoping there was one amongst us that could chime in.

I believe the principle ( I said "square Law" to be brief, I meant the "inverse Square Law" ) applies to many things, here is an example of what I meant:- Wind resistance and cycling speed • Dave McCraw
It might be that I'm talking rot, but like I said I'm no physicist :)
Waylander

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews