Water FlyingIMG_8738.MOV.mov

Reaction score
Just lost my Phantom 4 in the Gulf of Mexico. This is what happened. It was all pilot error! We were at a big Channel Marker in St. Petersburg heading out!

We were in a 28ft fast fishing boat and the Home Point was set at that point where the flight started. Slowly the driver (a retired Delta Pilot) was driving. I was in the back of the boat and it was a great seat. The water was unbelievably smooth and we were doing winding swerving videos as I watched, controlled and the Phantom 4.....easy flying.

All of a sudden it started to becoming a little bit tricky to control. I noticed we'd gone 9350 ft from home Point.....I knew I had to do something so I got my wife Maribeth to go to the very back of the boat and I'd fly it into her hands. The boat was stopped.

As it came closer Maribeth was reaching out but it wouldn't come any closer. Her hands were 4 inches away! Then seemingly restless it started a climb into the blue. I said keep an I on it and we'll follow it back. It was too high to see but I knew it was going back to the market. I asked the boat driver to get us back to the channel marker. He had all the navigation equipment but he kept looking at a sail boat. I knew chances weren't good. Finally he found the marker and we went screaming back. When we got to the marker two guys said it was at the marker and going up and down trying to land. The whole time I was watching battery power and the last I saw was a RED 5%! They said it really tried hard to land but just finally gave up! Now she's in Davy Jones's Locker.

Pilot Error...1. Not thinking about how far and fast we could get away from the home Point! 2. Not turning off avoidance to land on the boat. 3. Not schooling the pilot about getting back to the home Point.

Thoughts. Could have turned off Return to Home and turn off obstacle avoidance. Lastly prepped all the people in the boat on the challenges.

Smart Drone. The whole time it was calculating how much batter it would take to get back. That was the reason she climbed and headed backward.'

Lastly....think about what you flight will be doing the whole time. I've got at least 200 flying hours but this flight became the most complicated quickly. I was out in a boat so doing this from a car would be risky also!!!

Yours Truly. Captain Hook

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Tough lessons. I'm not familiar with the 4, is there an option to change the homeport on the fly? The P3S has it. I've not flown far over water yet but I am considering launching from a boat this summer, but I will be constantly repositioning and updating the home port so if it does get away it will go to the last saved HP. Sorry to hear about losing your drone, any diver friends available? Maybe you could salvage some of it.

Reactions: Fancher9-76
Sorry about your drone. When you got to the boat you could have turned it around and backed it in. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear. I.m pretty sure you can change home point to the controller in the dji app so that in a rth situation it goes to the current location of the controller. As for obstacle avoidance u can either come in sideways or switch to atti mode (just be careful with only small stick inputs lest u fly it into someone*

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Things were happening fast and I didn't think about that! Darn. I'm an advanced RC pilot and things happen real fast flying a RC aircraft. The P4 is steady and so easy to control!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sorry to hear, pretty rotten day. Will you buy a new drone and try again? I only recently got the hang of changing the home location on the fly to the controller's location. Very handy.

Reactions: Bill Brannen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164