Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Watch out for magpies!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wacker2611, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Wacker2611

I was out today, toddling around a local park capturing some Autumn loveliness. The bird was just coming home at about 50 metres altitude about 150 metres away. As quick as a flash, 3 magpies flew out of the trees and started harassing it, presumably thinking it was a threat. If I'd done nothing it would have ended in tears so I climbed to 100 metres to shake them off, but to no avail. By now I was starting to really worry as it was turning into a bit of a dog fight, so I hovered and yawed quite quickly and the flashing lights seemed to scare them off.
    There's all sorts of buzzards/ Hawks in the area where I fly most, including red kites and I've never had one single problem....Anyway all was well in the end, but watch out for magpies, they'll have your bird down in a jiffy!

#1 Wacker2611, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Bill S

Seagulls as well on my end. Brought it down.

3. Wibble

Red Kites? Not in Wales are you?
    I get lots of them here along with some huge Buzzards and plenty of other birds of prey.
    Magpies can be nasty. A few months ago a lovely woodpecker flew into my window and knocked itself out. It landed on the extension roof and was flapping around. Within seconds a magpie was there ready for the kill. I opened a window and stood guard until the woodpecker recovered!

Seagulls really worry me - there are loads where I work and also fly. So far they haven't bothered it at all but they dive bomb our factory during breeding season so I wouldn't dare fly the drone then! They get so very aggressive - seen them chasing many a poor bird of prey that has strayed into their area they will chase anything.

4. snerd

Heckle and Jecklel lol!!

5. RedHotPoker

Probably just pissed.
    image.jpeg
    That is hilarious.
    image.jpeg
    But they do seem intent on mayhem.

RedHotPoker

Wacker2611 likes this.
  6. Wacker2611

I'm in Leeds but live quite near Harewood House, where they've set up a red kite breeding programme, there's 100s of them roving the skies round here now. Less rabbits.

7. kenjancef

Spy vs. Spy.... lol... :)

8. duse500

I'v had quite a few bird attacks ,the ones that get me are the ones I don't see coming..
    When I see them coming I go in attack mode.Stop,aggressive moves towards them up,down left ,right,,,make a run for it. (We're not going to out run them )Stop and do it again if they come back.
    Out of Red Tails,Osprey's , blackbirds,Seagulls, The ospreys were the most aggressive due to the shear number of nest , they all had 2-4 fledgling's
    The sea gulls I believe, just see a white bird which they think is another seagul that has food .