Vision 2+ - crashed, gimbal issue, did all I could

Reaction score
Finally crashed the bugger. Actually the battery suddenly died without warning and it did a forced decent - into a forest. Amazingly I found it (not stuck in a tree!) on the ground with battery ejected and laying 5 feet away. Considering how I have to battle the thing to remove batteries, I was surprised. But that tells me its was a big hot. No physical damage.

Upon power-up, the gimbal got all crazy.

From what I can tell, the gimbal arm to base was not aligned correctly. I loosened the allen stud and realigned it. I checked the two other motors for alignment, both were and still are correct. Both motor rod to step reading sensor things are tight. I used this thread as a guide: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20514

I am very mechanically inclined and with minimal direction can usually figure things out (not bragging, just saying I am not a complete idiot! :) ) So after many, many searches and lots of reading I can say that everything looks right. But I still have the same issue. The ribbon cable appears to be okay.

So besides the typical causes as in the thread above, is there anything else I should look at? While I have not flown it yet, since I want to fix the gimbal, everything copter wise also seems good to go. It powers and spins up fine. Motors respond to controls, etc.

Thoughts are:
• Ribbon cable did get damaged, just shows no outward signs.
• One of the motor boards is bad.
• Some internal damage to the drone.

I hate to start another thread on this, but I have been through so many others I dont think those will help.

unity said:
with battery ejected and laying 5 feet away. Considering how I have to battle the thing to remove batteries, I was surprised.

You might consider that the loss of power and crash was caused by the battery not being firmly locked in place and coming loose during flight. As you said, you "have to battle the thing to remove batteries". Battery ejection is not a normal result in a crash especially one which, according to your assessment, caused little physical damage to the aircraft.

cruz_ctrl said:
unity said:
with battery ejected and laying 5 feet away. Considering how I have to battle the thing to remove batteries, I was surprised.

You might consider that the loss of power and crash was caused by the battery not being firmly locked in place and coming loose during flight. As you said, you "have to battle the thing to remove batteries". Battery ejection is not a normal result in a crash especially one which, according to your assessment, caused little physical damage to the aircraft.

Battery falling out as a result of a crash is common.

cruz_ctrl said:
unity said:

Nah, I am pretty habitual about checking the battery insertion. Because not only are they hard to remove, they can go in at an angle making it 10 fold harder to slid out. So I am always careful to slowly insert them just right. Been this way since day one. But I suppose I can not exclude any possibility. I am human. I will add that I was approaching 20% battery when it dropped fast to 10% - as in seconds. That triggered the automatic decent, not return home.

Would anyone happen to have the gimbal default positions for the spindles. For example, when correcting horizon the middle motor spindle's flat edge should be on top and level with camera body.

But there is another for the gimbal arm rotation. I could only find one source that says the flat edge should be to the right if you are looking at the gimbal upside down and usb port facing away. Then there is one for the camera tilt. This one is a little harder to access. But the camera attaches to a spindle with a flat side like the other. A screw secures it. Not sure if flat side should be forward when looking at camera lens or facing back.

Just want to make sure I do have these aligned correctly. Any help appreciated!

batteries come out, gimbals completely break away from quad and scratches and damage to gimbal ribbon cable can cause fuuny action. all happen all the time. even from crashes that were not that bad. it seems the ängle that the craft hits the ground, like one arm hits first and hard, things can get very bad. while a belly flop can cause very little damage. just been my experiencd.

to the op.. check that ribbon cable. if scratching a damaged area with your finger nail pulls theshielding off, you might consider replacing it.

I did order a new cable. Backorder until 17th. But I still need to make sure my spindle are aligned to the sensors correctly. Based on what I read the main arm was not aligned right after my crash. This one is easy to see how it aligns. The camera, not so easy.

New ribbon did not help. Reflowed the sensors on all three boards. Still nothing. Checked every connection, etc. Took the main body part. All looks good.

unity said:
Wedeliver said:
I did not re-read the 1st page of this thread but is this what is going on..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEc_Ff8zK4

No. Mine jumps around a lot more and I have no alignment issues.

Humm, Actually I think you do have major alignment issues. I think that is what your gimbal is trying to do. Re-align itself as that is its job, thats what all the jumping is about. I got more ideas and things for you to attempt in the way of self repair. But I do not want to mislead you either, so as I can, I will. (hey I just made that up.. AS I CAN, I WILL . ) no, not that good, but my head wraps around it.

Craig

Wedeliver said:
unity said:
Wedeliver said:
I did not re-read the 1st page of this thread but is this what is going on..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEc_Ff8zK4

No. Mine jumps around a lot more and I have no alignment issues.

Humm, Actually I think you do have major alignment issues. I think that is what your gimbal is trying to do. Re-align itself as that is its job, thats what all the jumping is about. I got more ideas and things for you to attempt in the way of self repair. But I do not want to mislead you either, so as I can, I will. (hey I just made that up.. AS I CAN, I WILL . ) no, not that good, but my head wraps around it.

Craig

The only spindle that could be misaligned is the camera body one - the one that other have had break. If I align it like middle gimbal (that controls camera level at horizon) where the flat part of the sensor is in the same relative location (flat side "up") then the camera sits with a slight downward position. There is no information that I can find that really shows which position this sensor needs to be in relative to camera default position. I can not turn it by hand, so its very secure. But that does not say the crash did not move it. But without the right information, I can not be sure its aligned correctly. The other two spindles are indeed aligned correctly.

Made a quick graphic from a photo I stole via Google.

Upper main arm spindle, flat edge to left from this view.

Middle level motor - flat edge up and level.

Camera - not sure what default position of flat edge should be within sensor relative to default position of camera body. I do know when attaching the camera body, the flat edge goes to back.

Attachments

• phan_gimbal.jpg
    phan_gimbal.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 342

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing