Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Video Slow Motion Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CJ31, Apr 3, 2014.

1. CJ31

I've shot a video at 1080 30fps realized you really cannot slow it down because it gets very choppy. However I just shot one at 60fps, and slowing it down also resulted in a bit of choppiness (though not as much). I'm using iMovie and you can slow it down whatever % you want.

My question is: When filming at 1080 60, is there a % (like 50%) or some multiple that you need to use to get it to play smoothly? Will some other % slow down not work as well due to frame rate? I really don't know much at all about frame rates and don't understand what the various ones do for you. I'm usually filming in Medium FOV. I know there is also 720 120, but I'd rather stick to 1080 I think.

Hopefully this question makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

2. davemcm

You don't want to drop the framerate any lower than roughly 25 or 30fps to keep it looking smooth to the eye.

Example

You shoot in 1080p 60fps for a video you intent to upload to Youtube. While editing your video, you should not slow any clips down to more than 40% (24fps) to keep them looking smooth, unless using a slow motion plugin which creates frames for you, such as Twixxor or similar.

3. tgrizzle73

I have noticed that if you will use GoPro's Studio, the editing software that comes with your gopro, the slow motion is way better and not so choppy. I use it specifically for slo mo and Final Cut Pro X for everything else.

4. MILLER4PRESIDENT2020

If you want real slow month you can shoot in wvga which is 240 fps and then slow it down to 10% which is 24 fps and get professional looking slowmo for action related things. In general don't slow down anything to below 24-30 fps.