Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Stinger said:
Hey Dewey,

Instead of soldering a XT60 to the rear of the DJI Internal Power Connecter will this connecter work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281397364504?ssP ... 1436.l2649

Nope sadly the holes in the female 'Traxx' plugs are too small for the IPC blades (been there tried that and many others :lol: ). IPC + XT60 is by far the easiest method. Just use the pre-soldered wires on he IPC to attach to the XT60 and then solder your own 16awg from the rear of the IPC to send to the main board (get shot of that silly little 2 lead cable btw... not needed). Be careful of the angle you solder it at though as the standoffs get in the way:

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

Note the angle of the Grnd wire soldering

IMG_4228.jpg

Darn, that would have been a nice easy fix. Thanks for the pics. Im slowly ordering all the items on that list. I hope to start this project in late December or early January.

Hoping someone in here can help me out... My H3-3D had the yaw twitch... I sent it to DJI and they sent it back repaired. (bad yaw mounting plate or something). I hooked it back up and now the gimbal isnt linear. Apparently that was a change they made with the new firmware! Being that I'm running a 1.5, my naza assistant doesn't allow me to make any adjustments to gain, or travel. So now my aftermarket gimbal pot is useless! I don't like the new method at ALL!

How can I fix this? my software doesn't recognize the H3-3D... Does this make any sense? DJI upgraded the firmware of my H3-3D and now it is useless to me! :(

Video of what its doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTx8PI ... 8d1_2V5bWQ

Dan,
Try recalibrating the X1 gain. I had similar problem with first H3 and had to do it multiple times. Press start under X1 then SLOWLY move your TX through the complete motion a couple of times, then hit finish. Hope that helps.

after a week off from the conversion, holiday week, I tried things again. following the diagrams which I thought I followed before. the canbus seems to work, gs and iosd work. and I think the main thing that was really getting to me was I couldn't get the fpv to work through the iosd. I was not getting the connector fully seated, one or more female parts would not open up enough to fully seat. I had to force a small pin in to spread the openings. now that the phantom is spread out on the table and things seem to work, I am done for the night!! sorry for all the frustration, but I guess that is part of the process. just had to think it all through. every thing seem to work. I will get this back together tomorrow and let you know what how it works.
thanks for all the great help!!

EMCSQUAR said:
Dan,
Try recalibrating the X1 gain. I had similar problem with first H3 and had to do it multiple times. Press start under X1 then SLOWLY move your TX through the complete motion a couple of times, then hit finish. Hope that helps.
I'll give it a shot.... But note: my x1 pot will travel the full range... But has to be centered to keep the gimbal still. Used to, if I moved the knob 5 degrees, the gimbal would tilt 5 degrees and stop on its own until I moved the knob again. Now after the update, if I move the knob 5 degrees, the gimbal begins tilting and doesn't stop tilting until it reaches its own mechanical limit. The only way to get it to stop tilting is to go back the other direction 5 degrees on the knob to where the pointer is centered again.

I'll update tonight.

dteca said:
one or more female parts would not open up enough

.... try flowers and a box of choclates next time :mrgreen: (sorry couldn't resist... and lets keep it clean and not dwell on the small pin that resoloved the issue guys ;) ).

Seriously though I am glad you got it sorted. Nothing more frustrating than niggly problems when everything suggests it should be working and it just doesn't. You did well to find it actually.

Question.... I currently have a 1.5 now with the upgrade board... Would swapping in the p2 board allow me to utilize the naza assistant for the phantom 2's and have full control over my h3-3d? Is there a way to keep using my multistar Batts with a p2 board?

The reason I ask is because I sent my gimbal to DJI for repair and They upgraded the firmware. Now it seems to be configured for the new controller with the scroll wheel in the top left corner. I have been battling with DJI and they told me that I have to upgrade to a phantom 2 to use the H3-3D, and that in the phantom 2 software there is an option to choose which style of controller you have which then changes the way the gimbal behaves. Can anyone confirm this?

Danielhv said:
Question.... I currently have a 1.5 now with the upgrade board... Would swapping in the p2 board allow me to utilize the naza assistant for the phantom 2's and have full control over my h3-3d? Is there a way to keep using my multistar Batts with a p2 board?

The reason I ask is because I sent my gimbal to DJI for repair and They upgraded the firmware. Now it seems to be configured for the new controller with the scroll wheel in the top left corner. I have been battling with DJI and they told me that I have to upgrade to a phantom 2 to use the H3-3D, and that in the phantom 2 software there is an option to choose which style of controller you have which then changes the way the gimbal behaves. Can anyone confirm this?

Afraid not Daniel - To get the P2 NAZA assistant software you need the P2 Specific NAZA (which means by by standard lipos). The board is nothing much more than a pathway for the electronics... not the logic behind them.

A better option would be to find someone with a P2, plug the gimbal into it and then update the gimbal firmware with the correct controller method. If you ask nicely I am sure a local hobby shop might let you do this (Can't hurt to call and ask one).

DeweyAXD said:
Danielhv said:

Afraid not Daniel - To get the P2 NAZA assistant software you need the P2 Specific NAZA (which means by by standard lipos). The board is nothing much more than a pathway for the electronics... not the logic behind them.

A better option would be to find someone with a P2, plug the gimbal into it and then update the gimbal firmware with the correct controller method. If you ask nicely I am sure a local hobby shop might let you do this (Can't hurt to call and ask one).
Dewey you are a ****ING genius! My dad has a p2... Will report back! Thank you sir!

Dewey you are a ****ING genius! My dad has a p2... Will report back! Thank you sir!

Ahhh perfect. Will be interesting to see. The only hitch might be if the firmware is locked in the GCU (which in the Phantom case 'could' be the board which functions as the GCU). I don't believe this is the case but you'll find out via this test i guess. There would be a way round that involving a P2 board and your Dad's P2 but it would be a pain to do. Lets hope it is all locked in the gimbal itself... i suspect it is.

DeweyAXD said:

Ahhh perfect. Will be interesting to see. The only hitch might be if the firmware is locked in the GCU (which in the Phantom case 'could' be the board which functions as the GCU). I don't believe this is the case but you'll find out via this test i guess. There would be a way round that involving a P2 board and your Dad's P2 but it would be a pain to do. Lets hope it is all locked in the gimbal itself... i suspect it is.

Well, it didn't work. :( My gimbal functions normally on his. And his functions normally on mine (old firmware). And he doesnt want to swap with me because his has the old style plug for the back of the gopro. :(

So now I don't know what to do. I'm stuck with the following options:

1) Finding someone with an H3-3D with older firmware that feels comfortable swapping with a complete stranger
2) Swapping internals (including Naza) to a P2 and buying their expensive batteries
3) Selling my H3-3D, and trying to find an older one for sale
4) Selling my H3-3D and buying a different brand gimbal.

Quite honestly, I'd almost be happy if someone with a P2 would just swap birds with me. What would be the chances of swapping their P2, batts, and controller for my 1.5, 1 - 2200mah phantom batt, 3 - 2800mah batts, 2 - Multistar 5200mah batts, dual battery tray & pigtail (don't use it anymore after I bought the multistars), Accucel Charger, Shapeways battery door, Power Supply, and controller...

Danielhv said:
DeweyAXD said:

Well, it didn't work. :( My gimbal functions normally on his. And his functions normally on mine (old firmware). And he doesnt want to swap with me because his has the old style plug for the back of the gopro. :(

1) Finding someone with an H3-3D with older firmware that feels comfortable swapping with a complete stranger
2) Swapping internals (including Naza) to a P2 and buying their expensive batteries

Quite honestly, I'd almost be happy if someone with a P2 would just swap birds with me. What would be the chances of swapping their P2, batts, and controller for my 1.5, 1 - 2200mah phantom batt, 3 - 2800mah batts, 2 - Multistar 5200mah batts, dual battery tray & pigtail (don't use it anymore after I bought the multistars), Accucel Charger, Shapeways battery door, Power Supply, and controller...

Don't gibe up yet.... Reset your H3-3D via the scissors method. This takes it back to 1.0.0 firmware:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVigBCbVzU[/youtube]

That should get it back to the same soec as your dads.

Don't give up yet.... Reset your H3-3D via the scissors method. This takes it back to 1.0.0 firmware:

That should get it back to the same spec as your dads.[/quote]

Edit: and failing that you can easily swap out his GoPro connecter with yours (4 screws) using my vid here (or remind him that only yours is Hero 4 compatible ;) )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wVMzF28pY[/youtube]

DeweyAXD said:
Don't give up yet.... Reset your H3-3D via the scissors method. This takes it back to 1.0.0 firmware:

I tried resetting the gimbal, but now its just showing 0.0.0.0 and is dead. I have to flash a firmware to it to bring it back to life, and the new firmware seems to be the only option available....

Frustrating.... but if you update to the latest, swap out the GoPro connecter on your Dad's would that not solve the issue within the family? (assuming your Gimbal still works fine with your Dad's P2?).

DeweyAXD said:
Frustrating.... but if you update to the latest, swap out the GoPro connecter on your Dad's would that not solve the issue within the family? (assuming your Gimbal still works fine with your Dad's P2?).

I talked him into it! Swapped the connectors and everything appears to be fine. My gimbal (now his) is much more noisy... so I hope he doesn't complain.

Another question... I need to order another of your 1.5 battery doors (mine flew off because I didn't snap it in all the way). Do they make one out of a more sturdy plastic? That rough textured stuff, while flexible, feels really thin.

Thanks Dewey!!!

Glad you got it sorted.

As for the doors well the thickness of the plastic is tricky. Wall thickness is all based on my design. Where possible I make the plastic 2.5mm thick in all important areas and no less than 1.5mm in non stressed zones (to keep weight and cost down). Any less is too thin and any more and it won't flex. Bare in mind that that is the only way I can dictate what parts of a model have flex and what don't. Also 0.5mm extra thickness across the whole part will likely increase the model density by about 30%... which results in a minimum of Shapeways adding %30 to the cost.

There is a slightly more expensive 'polished plastic' option but I tend not to open this up for buyers because it is a more brittle material. That means it will be much more prone to cracking on a ummm 'sturn landing'.

DeweyAXD said:
Glad you got it sorted.

As for the doors well the thickness of the plastic is tricky. Wall thickness is all based on my design. Where possible I make the plastic 2.5mm thick in all important areas and no less than 1.5mm in non stressed zones (to keep weight and cost down). Any less is too thin and any more and it won't flex. Bare in mind that that is the only way I can dictate what parts of a model have flex and what don't. Also 0.5mm extra thickness across the whole part will likely increase the model density by about 30%... which results in a minimum of Shapeways adding %30 to the cost.

There is a slightly more expensive 'polished plastic' option but I tend not to open this up for buyers because it is a more brittle material. That means it will be much more prone to cracking on a ummm 'sturn landing'.
No problem. Was just curious. I was happy with my first one so I'll just be happy with the second!

Thank you sir!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94