Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Thanks, EMC, for the very generous offer. Unfortunately, however, I figured I wasn't going to get a response and went ahead late last night and ordered a Feiyu Tech 3 axis instead of the ZenMuse.

Rats!

Still waiting for the spruce tree to cough up the remains of the Tarot gimbal and my GoPro but no luck there, either.

It is a serious testimony to the Phantom's durability that Miss Piggy survived with no more damage than fractured landing gear and a loose compass connection. She's dirty and scuffed but otherwise checks out fine. I'll test fly her soon.

GearLoose said:
Thanks, EMC, for the very generous offer. Unfortunately, however, I figured I wasn't going to get a response and went ahead late last night and ordered a Feiyu Tech 3 axis instead of the ZenMuse.

Rats!

Still waiting for the spruce tree to cough up the remains of the Tarot gimbal and my GoPro but no luck there, either.

It is a serious testimony to the Phantom's durability that Miss Piggy survived with no more damage than fractured landing gear and a loose compass connection. She's dirty and scuffed but otherwise checks out fine. I'll test fly her soon.

Good choice in FeiYu - excellent gimbals

GearLoose said:

Rats!

Sorry to hear about the crash GL. The loss of a GoPro requires three days of mauning alone!

Feiyu Tech G3 Ultra is proving to be pretty capable (Feiyu are using my video review of the handheld rig on their website currently as i am on there testing list :mrgreen: ). I also have the aircraft version. Its not quite up to the Zenmuse quality but its pretty **** close. A few niggly things with it but overall even on stock firmware its looking pretty good. My review of it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UkBTJRLlM and unboxing shows the mounting options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxIDlS1F3Y
You'll need the longer landing gear (but you have custom gear iirc?) and you'll have to drill a couple holes to mount it. Plus you need 3 spare channels to get all the modes... Which on a NAZA based aircraft is impossible without SBUS 14ch. All you really need though is pitch tbh.

EMCSQUAR said:
Wtneo said:
Quick question for those upgraded into p2 shell with h3-3d - i am using the new shell with the bigger hole at the bottom to accommodate the h3-3d. I have a new h3-3d coming in hopefully arriving this coming week, but would like to know if the original p1 landing gears matched with the new p2 shell are tall enough to take the h3-3d.

otherwise if not, i would probably order the slightly taller legs (part 49).

You can use the original landing gear and the H3 has about an 1/8' clearance to ground. I've used the leg spacers and or larger gear just for insurance.

thanks for the info!

DeweyAXD said:
Ghost Recon door added to the set of battery doors guys. It was a custom build for Ronin on DJI Guys forum but available to all.

This version has mounting holes for the LED board from the Phantom 1. When mounted it will shine the LED through the eyes/mouth of the skull.

GhostRecon1.jpg

GhostReconRear.jpg

http___makeagifcom__media_2-20-2014_1NAhg_.gif

Man how cool is that! Does it come in white?

Man how cool is that! Does it come in white?

It does indeed. The White Soft and Strong material is pretty close to the white of the Phantom. There is also now a polished version though I havn't had this design printed in that as yet (and it is a more expensive option).

Best shown in action for the guy that wanted the design (though his photos are a little dark).

ghostdoor3.jpg

ghostdoor5-1.jpg

ghostdoor1.jpg

I've just reviewed the video from a test flight with a Feiyu Tech 3 axis gimbal -- and I'm very happy. I fly slow and easy but there's no doubt that this gimbal is much smoother than the Tarot T-2D it replaces. As a bonus, the tilt behaves itself and doesn't wander up or down. On the Tarot I could never get it to stop by itself -- if I tilted up or down at all I would have to be very careful to tweak the VR knob to stop it from continuing to tilt to the end of its range.

Installation was a bit of a head scratcher. I drilled a couple of holes in the anti-vibration mount in order to bolt it to the two forward mounting points on the P2 shell (presumably for the ZenMuse?). The rear end of the gimbal mount sagged so I drilled through the shell there and zip tied through the bottom of the battery compartment.

The gimbal is now very solid and the Phantom shows no signs of imbalance in the air.

My next test will be the Ground Station's "Air End", which took some serious hits in the recent crash.

GearLoose said:
I've just reviewed the video from a test flight with a Feiyu Tech 3 axis gimbal -- and I'm very happy. I fly slow and easy but there's no doubt that this gimbal is much smoother than the Tarot T-2D it replaces. As a bonus, the tilt behaves itself and doesn't wander up or down. On the Tarot I could never get it to stop by itself -- if I tilted up or down at all I would have to be very careful to tweak the VR knob to stop it from continuing to tilt to the end of its range.

Installation was a bit of a head scratcher. I drilled a couple of holes in the anti-vibration mount in order to bolt it to the two forward mounting points on the P2 shell (presumably for the ZenMuse?). The rear end of the gimbal mount sagged so I drilled through the shell there and zip tied through the bottom of the battery compartment.

The gimbal is now very solid and the Phantom shows no signs of imbalance in the air.

My next test will be the Ground Station's "Air End", which took some serious hits in the recent crash.

Sounds good GL - I'd love to see some pics of how you've mounted it. I've not tried mine on the Phantom (just using the rail mount on my Alien560).

It's a quick & dirty fix but it at least it works. My concern is that in a very hard landing or outright crash the Feiyu Tech mount might well crack at the points where I drilled. If that happens it will be back to the drawing board. In the meantime, I'm enjoying being back in the air!

DeweyAXD said:

Sounds good GL - I'd love to see some pics of how you've mounted it. I've not tried mine on the Phantom (just using the rail mount on my Alien560).[/quote]

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 516

Took my P1.5 to Hawaii. Kayaked from Lanikai beach to the larger Mokulua island and flew it from there. Was pretty scared as I havent flown my phantom for months, been busy with my wedding.

So, it was pretty windy and there were a few people on the beach so I didnt want to hover low. I took off in attitude mode and got so nervous that I dont think I ever put it back into GPS mode to correct for the wind. Then some guy start blabbing in my ear asking questions and I end up crashing into a tree.....luckily. At that point I was done flying. Got an OK video and took a couple screen shots.

PJA said:
Reworking my Phantom 1.5 with the Fr Sky X4R-SB - 3/16 Channel Receiver, w/S-BUS...
Ready to Rock 'n' Roll with a test flight early this week
I am interested in installation "FrSky X4R-SB" RC receiver (for Taranis Tx) to my P1 (The Original version).
So NAZA-M1 unit is connectable to X4R-SB receiver via SBus? Since this receiver has only three regular channels ...
Thank you for the specify how you connected.

Antennas you have taken out the legs of the landing gear?

gardenroute said:
PJA said:
Reworking my Phantom 1.5 with the Fr Sky X4R-SB - 3/16 Channel Receiver, w/S-BUS...
I am interested in installation "FrSky X4R-SB" RC receiver (for Taranis Tx) to my P1 (The Original version).
So NAZA-M1 unit is connectable to X4R-SB receiver via SBus? Since this receiver has only three regular channels ...

I've installed a couple of them them in P1's, and they connect just like the X8R does...one cable between sbus on the Rx and X2 on the NAZA.

You can use the stock Phantom antennae (if you have a 1.1.1) or the ones included with the X4R. I got FrSky's 250mm replacement antennae so they could extend farther down the legs.

OI Photography said:
gardenroute said:
PJA said:

I've installed a couple of them them in P1's, and they connect just like the X8R does...one cable between sbus on the Rx and X2 on the NAZA.

You can use the stock Phantom antennae (if you have a 1.1.1) or the ones included with the X4R. I got FrSky's 250mm replacement antennae so they could extend farther down the legs.
I have connected the X4R-SB to my P1.5, as per resident expert OI Photography, who turned me on to the FrSky Taranis System. I was using the Futaba T8J system with the R2008SB receiver. I was disappointed with the limitations of the Futaba 8J TX.

I also have the X8R receiver in my f550 (now a 650). Both have S-Bus set ups, and unlike OI, I don't have the FrSky's 250mm extension antennae for the X4R-SB in the P1.5... but I did slip the included antennae through the vents in the shell and they seem to work fine (see pic below)... I'm planning to get the extensions soon...
15656458616_a72f709535_c.jpg

So my fellow 1.5er's after capturing some fireworks this weekend in high winds I have decided that a H3-3D needs to come home to roost on my 1.5. Mainly cause the shots were shakey on the H3-2D due to 17mph wind and also cause the new Hero4 doesn't function for FPV due to the pin out change!

I am being a tad cheeky and lazy in asking the question in here but hell... 1.5 goers need to know as much as anyone else. When i did the upgrade I had the small holed P2 shell.... my questions are as follows:

1) If I reem out the hole do still need to buy/fit the extended legs. Reason I don't really want to is because my fake Peli case simply has maybe a couple of cm (half inch'is) room above the motors on closing. Just how much higher are the legs? I'd like not to slice and dice the shell but I'd rather do that than need a new case

2) 8 pin reinforcement board - anyone using these? As far as my research tells me I can pretty much plug and play on the P1 Upgraded board but for £8 I'll get this if people find it helpful/needed.

Thats all for now... answers on a post card and a thanks in advance! :D

Hi Dewey, in regards to the legs .. the ones i bought ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111418595317? ... EBIDX%3AIT ) are 230mm wide compared to 150mm normal and 156mm tall compare to 121mm.

31mm taller
80mm wider than the normal legs.

I have no idea about the board though ... infact i dont know even know what it is?

I have a question though ... the DJI PMU unit .. is this directly compatible with the Phantom v1.1.1 ? .. ie, will it mean that i dont have to make my own Canbus ?

Thanks Danny - yeah those legs would cause big case issues for sure. I am talking the official DJI extensions that come with the Zenmuse H3-3D early P2 kit: https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/spares-finder ... aptor.html

The board is this thing: http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji- ... board.html

As for the PMU... yep direct fit. Adds a bit of weight but you just solder power to it, squeeze it in there (tight fit in a P1 shell) and then plug it to the NAZA. You then have an active Can-Bus port. As always there is a ... but...

If you want a Zenmuse (H3-2D or 3D) then you will need to also use the GCU unit (which plugs into the PMU-v2 can bus port). This is why for weight saving the upgrade board + can-bus mod is great.... just not for the shakey solderer. Plenty of people running both setups though and if you don't intend a Zenmuse then the PMUv2 route is a much more user friendly route.

Excellent, thanks for the info, it did make me wonder !

I wouldnt mind soldering tbh it doesnt look that bad and i've done a fair few solder jobs in my time. Anyone thats modded a nintendo Wii or xbox might agree :)
I Would probs go with the PMU for ease though, but looking at the cost of it ... i dont think i'll bother !

Dewey, you might find this surprising...but I have some pics for that:

NQJcYhPl.jpg

YGFDhFal.jpg

v9zNH8cl.jpg

So just a few mm, fits in my case fine but it'll depend on how much foam compression range you have left in the lid.

As for the board, I saw no benefit with it connected so it's back in the spares bin...but I'd suggest picking one up since you may not know if you need it without testing it.

Btw, I'm determined to have the 1.5 group set up by this weekend ;)

@PJA: I'll be in touch to discuss that (and your latest PM :() shortly.

DeweyAXD said:
As for the PMU... yep direct fit. Adds a bit of weight but you just solder power to it, squeeze it in there (tight fit in a P1 shell) and then plug it to the NAZA. You then have an active Can-Bus port. As always there is a ... but...

If you want a Zenmuse (H3-2D or 3D) then you will need to also use the GCU unit (which plugs into the PMU-v2 can bus port). This is why for weight saving the upgrade board + can-bus mod is great.... just not for the shakey solderer. Plenty of people running both setups though and if you don't intend a Zenmuse then the PMUv2 route is a much more user friendly route.

Dewey if you do my mods listed earlier in these threads using P2 board (which is even cheaper than upgrade board) you can do away with both PMU and GCU just use the hub and - it makes P1.5 super light.

EMCSQUAR said:
... if you do my mods listed earlier in these threads using P2 board (which is even cheaper than upgrade board) you can do away with both PMU and GCU just use the hub and - it makes P1.5 super light.
Is there any clear, step by step process showing how to do this mod, whether it's been posted here or on the R/C Forums? I know an abridged version was listed here a few pages back... I've been hoping for someone to post a step by step video on how it's done...

Can the E300 ESC's and Motors be used with the P2 board upgrade also? :)

I'd hate to take apart and redo my P1.5 again since it's been flying extremely well... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart