Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

It really depends on what warning light you go off. I found the first level voltage needed to be lowered really low (need to check how low). The best thing to do is go off the P2 batt lights and run them down until the last one starts flashing. That will give you a good few minutes more.... Unless it is a fatty like PJA's ;-)

DeweyAXD said:
It really depends on what warning light you go off. I found the first level voltage needed to be lowered really low (need to check how low). The best thing to do is go off the P2 batt lights and run them down until the last one starts flashing. That will give you a good few minutes more.... Unless it is a fatty like PJA's ;-)
Yeah I noticed the battery light was still on 2 bars so I guess that's why. I'll look around for some voltages and try again this afternoon.

DeweyAXD said:
:p

PS: Hope you're doing well Mr. D...

A little something to share w/my P1.5 bretheren - How about a P1.5 on steroids? Yes I did, it's in the build stage and should be functional by end of weekend. It's a 450 size Phantom. to be fitted w/E300 and all the goods (see attached)

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 357

EMCSQUAR said:
A little something to share w/my P1.5 bretheren - How about a P1.5 on steroids? Yes I did, it's in the build stage and should be functional by end of weekend. It's a 450 size Phantom. to be fitted w/E300 and all the goods (see attached)

Ahhh I was wondering if any of the guys in here would go for this. I'd of been tempted myself but cost to the UK was just stupid (for a change! :roll: ).

Would be interested to see the internals of it and how the battery door situation is set up. I seem to recall it is a similar style to the P1 right? Also what fixings on the bottom are available for gimbals etc? Hell you should start a thread on it really as it is 'almost' an original P1 (as much as a p1.5 is really lol)

Should be good for some weight lifting thats for sure!

It just came today and I'm planning on fitting a 5000mah Turnigy into it. A little shaving to be done and have to raise the power board a few cm, other than that looks like typical DJI layout. Gimbal mount looks to be P1 style but nothing a few well placed holes won't solve. No pre molded P2 stantions so to use P2 battery will take some work. It's definetly a monster...lol

Yeah shipping held me off too, but when I called and chatted and told them my issue w/shipping, they shipped free...

EMCSQUAR said:

can you do a quick rundown/review of the the 450 sized phantom shell? I am seriously contemplating getting it!!!

what are the size of the battery bay? how would you be hooding up the antenna?

The Protocol and Nomenclature Department has just issued the following updated list of Non-Standard Phantom Designations (NSPD):

LONG FORM - SHORT FORM
Phantom 1.5 - P1.5
Phantom 450 - P450

Please direct all questions to the email address at the bottom of this post.

I am also eager to hear more about this -- such as, what size props might you use on this larger shell? Could this use a 4s battery? Any idea of the potential lift capacity? I'm all ears!!

Wtneo said:
EMCSQUAR said:

can you do a quick rundown/review of the the 450 sized phantom shell? I am seriously contemplating getting it!!!

GearLoose said:
I am also eager to hear more about this -- such as, what size props might you use on this larger shell? Could this use a 4s battery? Any idea of the potential lift capacity? I'm all ears!!

Wtneo said:
EMCSQUAR said:

OI Photography said:
The Protocol and Nomenclature Department has just issued the following updated list of Non-Standard Phantom Designations (NSPD):

LONG FORM - SHORT FORM
Phantom 1.5 - P1.5
Phantom 450 - P450

First to the Protocol Dept - Since this is the non standard Phantom thread I felt it appropriate to share with other pioneers of the habit/sport and will continue doing so HERE...

To GL - I fitted a 5000mah 4S Turnigy battery for the maiden voyage and it went fantastic - I'm sure two maddogs or comparable would fit. Fitting P2 battery might be a trick but I'm sure I'll be attempting that in future (spoiled w/pushbutton start)- the broadness tends to spread the weight out so it flew as agile as a P2 - note I have yet to fit it with gimbal (maybe tomorrow) but it flys like a 450 very stable, zero prop wash using standard 9443 props. I used the NAZA V@ kit so I'm using puck style GPS/Compass in lid. It locks on GPS in less than a minute - compass #s are in the 1700s and is stable as glass and that's using stock gains 125,125,100,100, - 125, 125. There's enough interior space for accessories - yet I plan G/S, Tx to be external so I can swap between p1.5... more to come, initially 2 Thumbs up on "Super Phantom"

Please direct all questions to the email address at the bottom of this post.

Attachments

• photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 282

WOW! I'm diggin' the 450 Shell, EMCSQUAR. Is this an actual 450 DJI Phantom shell that is out now? Where can it be purchased? Can't wait to see how it turns out... Good Luck, EMC... :)

"Flying The FATTY"

Yesterday I took my Phantom 1.5 out for a spin with one of the MultiStar 5200mAh Batteries I bought recently... Coming in at 1550 plus grams, it actually got off the ground. :eek: Surprisingly, it had a lot of pep and agility. I didn't just hover to see how long I could fly, but I did some actual aggressive flying. I landed at 9 and a half minutes because the weather was misty and drizzly and I started to see some red mixed with the green LED readings...

My main problem is finding an area near me to fly. It's very congested where I live. Can any Long Island, NY member guide me to any LARGE fields in Nassau or Suffolk Counties where we can fly and not be chased?

A neighbor here drives RC cars on the same field I'm in now, which is surrounded by the Co-Op complex. Someone called Security and he was told not to drive his RC cars anymore on the complex because they are a nuisance to everyone... I got away with flying the P1.5... No One has complained to me yet... People are creepy... :twisted:

This was a test flight to see if I can fly at 1550+ grams and how the MultiStar reacts. I'm wondering if I could get more lift and better reaction with 9450 Props??? In the video posted below, You can see I haven't much room to fly without being over houses, streets and people, so I did short spurts around the small field...

I call this Video, "Flying The Fatty," as Dewey so affectionately called my Phantom a few posts back... ;)

Excerpts from the 9 Plus minute flight:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhTF76VqtI[/youtube]

PJA said:
"Flying The FATTY"

Looks to me like it moves just fine! And has no fear of chain link fences either :D

The 9450 props are probably still a good idea with that flight weight. Even if you can get by most of the time without the extra lift they provide, they'll give you an extra safety buffer against VRS and that's a bigger issue the heavier you get.

So...I guess your test results mean I can go ahead an mount that 2nd gimbal on mine, right?

OI Photography said:
PJA said:
"Flying The FATTY"

Looks to me like it moves just fine! And has no fear of chain link fences either :D
Ahhh! You saw that, right? I almost cost me some money in repairs ... I'm still not the best pilot on this thread :lol:

The 9450 props are probably still a good idea with that flight weight. Even if you can get by most of the time without the extra lift they provide, they'll give you an extra safety buffer against VRS and that's a bigger issue the heavier you get.

So...I guess your test results mean I can go ahead an mount that 2nd gimbal on mine, right?
Don't laugh... My GoPro USB is broken, so I can't use it through my FatShark. I'm going to add the small camera that came with the FatShark kit so I'll have 'eyes in the skies!' That should add another 20 grams to "The Fatty." And don't forget a few more grams from the extra weight of the 9450 Props...

My next flight should really be a lot of fun!!!

That's not a fatty, this here is a fatty -> http://youtu.be/RVbsJp2mgUk?list=UU_2vD ... VSNdmm127A - This was first two flights with gimbal, GS and IOSD MIni and Tx onboard. I'm also using a 5000mah 4S Turnigy mounted internally on her. Unfortunately these flights were shortened due to 30+ mph gusts (and she catches ALOT of air being as big as it is)

PJA - Infinity Hobby sells the 450 Phantom shell and ironically it's called the "Fat Phantom"

The "Flying Fatty" looks trimmed out nicely PJA! I see your problem with where to fly.... weekend away with a shed load of batteries and some amazing scenery is on the cards for you i'd say!

I feel bad that i've given your Phantom a Fatty a complex.... next thing you know you'll walk into the workshop and find it reading a cosmo while stuffing down cookie dough and crying :roll: :lol:

Haha, nice one! Even with the side by side comparison, my brain refuses to register that the larger shell is actually any bigger. It must be quite a sight in person.

A bad crash

Yesterday started out quite well with a 12 minute waypoint flight over a local land trust reserve, close to 8000 feet. Then I plotted my first grid-style mission over the wetlands in front of our cabin. In doing so I failed to notice that the leg to the final waypoint intersected perfectly with the huge spruce tree behind the cabin. Miss Piggy flew straight through the branches at 100 feet AGL and did a face plant against the trunk of the tree. She then tumbled down through the branches, ejecting the battery (appears to be ok) and shredding the Tarot gimbal.

Most of the gimbal, with the GoPro 3 Black, is still somewhere in the dense branches. And it is raining, perhaps until next June. :shock:

I've already bought another GoPro on ebay but now I'm trying to decide on a gimbal. Another Tarot T-2D would be cheap and easy but previously I'd been thinking how nice a 3 axis would be. I see a lot of "tail wag" in my videos and I don't like it.

The DYS 3 axis is just $200 but it weighs 262 grams, 62 more than the Tarot and 100 more than the Zenmuse H3-3D (which is also $179 more than the DYS).

What to do? Adding the DYS would put Miss Piggy's AUW to around 1510 grams. As chunky as that sounds I am encouraged by PJA's experience with his hefty quad. I guess a lot of the decision comes down to the difficulty of mounting and the overall quality of the gimbal.

My P1.5 is an early P1.0 so I'm not sure if I'd need additional mods for a Zenmuse.

Your thoughts would be appreciated! I really want to get back into the air ASAP!

Quick question for those upgraded into p2 shell with h3-3d - i am using the new shell with the bigger hole at the bottom to accommodate the h3-3d. I have a new h3-3d coming in hopefully arriving this coming week, but would like to know if the original p1 landing gears matched with the new p2 shell are tall enough to take the h3-3d.

otherwise if not, i would probably order the slightly taller legs (part 49).

Wtneo said:
Quick question for those upgraded into p2 shell with h3-3d - i am using the new shell with the bigger hole at the bottom to accommodate the h3-3d. I have a new h3-3d coming in hopefully arriving this coming week, but would like to know if the original p1 landing gears matched with the new p2 shell are tall enough to take the h3-3d.

otherwise if not, i would probably order the slightly taller legs (part 49).

You can use the original landing gear and the H3 has about an 1/8' clearance to ground. I've used the leg spacers and or larger gear just for insurance.

Re: A bad crash

GearLoose said:
Yesterday started out quite well with a 12 minute waypoint flight over a local land trust reserve, close to 8000 feet. Then I plotted my first grid-style mission over the wetlands in front of our cabin. In doing so I failed to notice that the leg to the final waypoint intersected perfectly with the huge spruce tree behind the cabin. Miss Piggy flew straight through the branches at 100 feet AGL and did a face plant against the trunk of the tree. She then tumbled down through the branches, ejecting the battery (appears to be ok) and shredding the Tarot gimbal.

Most of the gimbal, with the GoPro 3 Black, is still somewhere in the dense branches. And it is raining, perhaps until next June. :shock:

I've already bought another GoPro on ebay but now I'm trying to decide on a gimbal. Another Tarot T-2D would be cheap and easy but previously I'd been thinking how nice a 3 axis would be. I see a lot of "tail wag" in my videos and I don't like it.

The DYS 3 axis is just $200 but it weighs 262 grams, 62 more than the Tarot and 100 more than the Zenmuse H3-3D (which is also $179 more than the DYS).

What to do? Adding the DYS would put Miss Piggy's AUW to around 1510 grams. As chunky as that sounds I am encouraged by PJA's experience with his hefty quad. I guess a lot of the decision comes down to the difficulty of mounting and the overall quality of the gimbal.

My P1.5 is an early P1.0 so I'm not sure if I'd need additional mods for a Zenmuse.

Your thoughts would be appreciated! I really want to get back into the air ASAP!

I've been refraining from answering because I'm biased towards the Zenmuse H3 (and don't like spending others $$$) If you can spare "Ms Piggys" time, I think I can save you a bunch of weight - install P2 board and an adapter cable I've been making. Also For the Zenmuse H3 your early P1 would need taller landing gear, hole cut in shell. Be more than happy to help you for just the cost of the parts.

MC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka