Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

DeweyAXD said:
zmnypit said:
Yeah I rotated it 180*. I was just experimenting but ended up going the correct route. As far as the USB I've wired it a couple different ways but so far the only way to get my laptop to see the p2 USB is unhook the p1 led.

I had the same problem when wiring up both v1 LED and v2 LED. Basically two USB ports cannot be in the same circuit as they draw too much current (or something like that :? ).

The only way I got it working was to put a small switch inline on the postive (vcc) wire for the P1 LED cable. This allowed me to have 'flight mode' which makes both LED's flash correctly (but USB doesn't function). Then throw the switch and bingo USB mode works. A bit of hassle but very workable.

Vidoe and pictures of it are explained in on my post #12 of my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084603 where you will also find my video on how i sorted it ;)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHfYdDh-oM[/youtube]
Thanks guy! I will mess around with it this weekend.

One other thing I noticed after the conversion. I also have the carbon fiber props and I'm getting a lot of "wobble" when coming down or changing directions. Like it shakes side to side until it levels back out. Its really bad when descending. Has anyone had this issue?

zmnypit said:
One other thing I noticed after the conversion. I also have the carbon fiber props and I'm getting a lot of "wobble" when coming down or changing directions. Like it shakes side to side until it levels back out. Its really bad when descending. Has anyone had this issue?

I think you'll find that issue with descending on any quad. Especially if you are descending straight down as you are falling through a vortex of disturbed air. It also gets worse with extra weight! That said if it is oscillating then you migth want to tweak the gains a bit (to be honest that is worth doing anyway).

If you are looking for an upgrade path I would suggest the next step for you is to get some cw/ccw motors (even if it is just 2 x ccw ones) and then get some DJI blades. These are by far and away the best prop combination I've found on my 1.5 and I've tried plenty!

I think having a little flex in a blade sometimes help with descent wobble too. I've always found it more pronounced with CF rigid props than with more flexible ones like Graupner or DJI.

OI Photography said:
Ahh ok the 29/30 set look like they'll work with stock Phantom props too?

Any idea if the ones I linked will work with the E600 props? I'd love to get a set of those on my hex!

Yep 29/30 would work with stock P2 props. Not sure on the E600 yet OI. I am hoping the E600's run an M6 thread.... you need to find a trusted DJI dealer to ask the question too ;)

DeweyAXD said:
zmnypit said:

I think you'll find that issue with descending on any quad. Especially if you are descending straight down as you are falling through a vortex of disturbed air. It also gets worse with extra weight! That said if it is oscillating then you migth want to tweak the gains a bit (to be honest that is worth doing anyway).

If you are looking for an upgrade path I would suggest the next step for you is to get some cw/ccw motors (even if it is just 2 x ccw ones) and then get some DJI blades. These are by far and away the best prop combination I've found on my 1.5 and I've tried plenty!

I think having a little flex in a blade sometimes help with descent wobble too. I've always found it more pronounced with CF rigid props than with more flexible ones like Graupner or DJI.

This good as far as gains on for CF props? I found these in this thread

Attachments

• Гейны Ф2.jpg
    Гейны Ф2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 637

zmnypit said:

That'd be why she is twitchy then! 120 for the main gains isn't too bad if you are around the 1.4kg mark but 200% Atti gains is just way too high IMO.

Remember that attitude gains are basically how the Phantom will react to your inputs whereas the Basic gains are how it will react to auto correction inputs. 200% on the attitude gains means that if you cough the output of air from your mouth flowing over the control sticks will probably send the craft forward (ok that is maybe a bit extreme but you get what I'm saying).

This is where asking others for input comes a little tricky because it will depend how you want it to fly. Personally as I do camera work I tend to have the Attitude gains near the 100% or even lower sometimes.... this will make control response slow, even sluggish but because I am (shock) only on a H3-2D gimbal that makes footage smoother.

Personally I'd suggest you take the basic's down to 110% and the attitude to at least 150% but I'd between 100-150%.

If you have a non-stock TX then it is well worth doing the gains via X2 remote, one by one. It is boring as hell but you should be able to get a good set withing one P2 battery of flight. Even better/quicker if you have the Can-bus mod, BTU and an Iphone/Pad of course (which is how I do mine).

EDIT: Forgot to say that I tend to have the Basic 'Yaw' gains a little lower than the others (like 10-15%) as this is where you get the most 'twitch'.

Yeah I haven't actually adjusted them yet. They are still default at the moment. I'll check them when I get home but those are some I saved from this thread a few weeks ago. Im still running the stock TX so no adjustments there

Dewey, I'd like to try adjusting gains as you describe below but before I do... I have an iPad and BTU but I wonder if you are making gains adjustments in flight? Perhaps pull the quad in close, hover, adjust gains... then do a bit of maneuvering to test them? Or do you land in order to adjust gains?

DeweyAXD said:
zmnypit said:

That'd be why she is twitchy then! 120 for the main gains isn't too bad if you are around the 1.4kg mark but 200% Atti gains is just way too high IMO.

Remember that attitude gains are basically how the Phantom will react to your inputs whereas the Basic gains are how it will react to auto correction inputs. 200% on the attitude gains means that if you cough the output of air from your mouth flowing over the control sticks will probably send the craft forward (ok that is maybe a bit extreme but you get what I'm saying).

This is where asking others for input comes a little tricky because it will depend how you want it to fly. Personally as I do camera work I tend to have the Attitude gains near the 100% or even lower sometimes.... this will make control response slow, even sluggish but because I am (shock) only on a H3-2D gimbal that makes footage smoother.

Personally I'd suggest you take the basic's down to 110% and the attitude to at least 150% but I'd between 100-150%.

If you have a non-stock TX then it is well worth doing the gains via X2 remote, one by one. It is boring as hell but you should be able to get a good set withing one P2 battery of flight. Even better/quicker if you have the Can-bus mod, BTU and an Iphone/Pad of course (which is how I do mine).

EDIT: Forgot to say that I tend to have the Basic 'Yaw' gains a little lower than the others (like 10-15%) as this is where you get the most 'twitch'.

It really depends how your Phantom is reacting at first.

Mine was pretty solid on default gains so i changed the settings all during flight....

I have (well...had) a T8J (14sg now :D ) so what I did was to make the VR knob on it available on the X2 channel. Then while flying with the VR knob centred and the BTU connected to my iPhone I simply tap the 'X2' button on the Iphone against one of the gains:

f317f8d5-7d5d-41fa-b22c-d7dcb3a5133d.png

This then means I can move the number up and down with the VR knob (instead of typing a value). It means you can concentrate on the Phantom all the time. Simply adjust it up or down until it feels good for that axis. Then, when happy I simply tap the INH button on the iPhone (removing control from the VR knob) and move onto the next gain setting. All during the same flight.

Key thing is to get it above 5ft up to avoid ground effect throwing the thing around too much and have lots of space. She'll wander around while you do this a fair bit but it really is the best way to get it locked in and soooooo much easier than landing, plugging into a laptop etc etc.

You can of course do this with stock Phantom TX too if it has the gimbal lever installed.

Don't expect to get it all right in one 15-20 min flight and be prepared as when you over cook the gain you can get some pretty extreme oscillation (althoug due to the Phantoms excellent balance/CG it is never as bad as other frames!).

Excellent! Thanks, Dewey -- and as I use the T8J I'll be able to follow your instructions.

Here's something to ponder:

I got my MULTISTAR 5200mAh Battery in the mail today. It fits nicely in the P1.5 compartment.... However, after weighing my P1.5 with the included Battery, FatShark Transmitter, GoPro and GLB Gimbal and P2 Props, I weigh in at 1550gms... and I haven't even added my Garmin GU-10 yet...

Am I going to get off the ground???

We'll know in a few days, I guess, if the weather is good enough to fly...

PJA said:

:shock:

While I've seen fatter Phantoms than that fly, that weight is surprising because you're almost exactly 200g heavier than my 1.5 even with the battery, gimbal, gopro, iOSD mini, Immersion 600mW Tx...you hiding some buckshot in yours for ballast or something?

OI Photography said:
PJA said:

While I've seen fatter Phantoms than that fly, that weight is surprising because you're almost exactly 200g heavier than my 1.5 even with the battery, gimbal, gopro, iOSD mini, Immersion 600mW Tx...you hiding some buckshot in yours for ballast or something?
I do have a carbon fiber landing gear which is only 40 grams more than the original... and my GLB gimbal is maybe another 40 grams more than the Zenmuse... I don't have an iosd mini right now, so I don't know where the extra grams are coming from...

I did fly last week with my two Maddog 2700's (separately, of course). Both flights were fine... My P1.5 was very agile and peppy. The MultiStar comes in at 125grams more, so I guess I'll still be OK when I take to the air (I hope :eek: ).

Edit: Oh, by the way, I did weigh my Phantom with the Garmin already attached to it, I just didn't see it under the landing gear...

PJA said:
OI Photography said:
PJA said:

I do have a carbon fiber landing gear which is only 40 grams more than the original... and my GLB gimbal is maybe another 40 grams more than the Zenmuse... I don't have an iosd mini right now, so I don't know where the extra grams are coming from...

I did fly last week with my two Maddog 2700's (separately, of course). Both flights were fine... My P1.5 was very agile and peppy. The MultiStar comes in at 125grams more, so I guess I'll still be OK when I take to the air (I hope :eek: ).

Edit: Oh, by the way, I did weigh my Phantom with the Garmin already attached to it, I just didn't see it under the landing gear...

Ah yes, I forgot about the CF gear and I had no idea the GLB weighed more than the Zenmuse. I think my GTU-10 is 55g, so you still have a little fat somewhere (maybe 40g or so) but the difference makes more sense now. You can still fly at 1550g, my gut tells me that will probably cap your flight times at 14 min or so when using the multistar.

Also, if you land that batt at the Phantom's default level of 10.6v, you're still leaving a fair margin of flight time on it. You can probably fly it down to 10.5 or even 10.4v safely (I do), which could net you almost two more minutes of flight time with the way the multistar drags out each .1v of drain.

Welcome to Phantom Weight Watchers! You've actually managed to top my dear "Miss Piggy" by about 100 grams. I'm sure you'll get off the ground but be very careful when landing. I've snapped the extended landing gear a few times and now only do a hand catch.

PJA said:
Here's something to ponder:

I got my MULTISTAR 5200mAh Battery in the mail today. It fits nicely in the P1.5 compartment.... However, after weighing my P1.5 with the included Battery, FatShark Transmitter, GoPro and GLB Gimbal and P2 Props, I weigh in at 1550gms... and I haven't even added my Garmin GU-10 yet...

Am I going to get off the ground???

We'll know in a few days, I guess, if the weather is good enough to fly...

Thanks very much Dewey for a great instructive video. Where can I find the follow up video?
Thanks again!

aartsf said:
Thanks very much Dewey for a great instructive video. Where can I find the follow up video?
Thanks again!

No problem arrfsf.... glad to hear another person getting some help from them.

All the information on the conversion, can-bus mods, parts etc can be found on my blog(s) here (scroll down to find the Phantom ones!): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=499128

And all the videos of my crazy goings on are on my YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/d3weyTube

:D

Was able to completely finish my conversion last night. I now have a working P2 USB port thanks to Dewey's toggle switch method. Having the port in the front is so much easier when using the P2 battery. I mounted the switch in the extra landing gear hole so Its barely noticeable but yet easy to get to.

vyjNvT2.jpg

WGJE10U.jpg

Loving the location of that switch there zmnypit! Stealth... makes me wish I'd of thought of that (though I have wires coming out of every hole on mine!). Glad it is all up and running how you wanted it.

DeweyAXD said:
Loving the location of that switch there zmnypit! Stealth... makes me wish I'd of thought of that (though I have wires coming out of every hole on mine!). Glad it is all up and running how you wanted it.
Thanks guy! Took it for two test flights yesterday in almost perfect conditions with the only add ones being a GoPro hero 4, and Carbon Fiber vibration dampener. I started the camera at take off both times and only managed 14min and 15min with the P2 battery & P2 props. Am I missing something? I got 11min out of the stock 2200 battery. I just bought this battery from amazon last week. This was the first time it was used. In the Naza software it shows 12.67v after a full charge. I used the 10.70v Load and 10.60v no load that was posted a number of pages back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12