Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah that is a good point... and lets be honest there are more like 30 clubs on FB for every DJI product! :roll: - Our club has so much class it doesn't need advertising. Though a secret handshake could work. :lol:
If that's all it takes, I'm in... You guys would make a nice team... I'll help out if you need... :)

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster from Australia. I have just received a P2 body and have had a good look at the two. My question is why does the P2 body need to be rotated 180 degrees and have the internals installed? It look to me that the only change is the led mount which looks easy, so what if I am not going to use P2 batteries can I not have the battery door as the front of that bird same as P1? I am hoping there is some kinda technical reason.

Cheers
Tre

It's the convenience factor of the rear loading battery and wiring for it.

In regard to the idea of creating a forum or website specifically for the P1.5: absolutely!

Ironically, perhaps, the length and complexity of the discussion in this thread is also an excellent example of the weakness of the phantompilots forum software. I'm a frequent Google user for searches but finding a specific post here is really a challenge. This makes it very difficult to use the P1.5 thread as a handy reference resource if you're just beginning a conversion, or wish to doublecheck some specific procedure.

One possibility would be to create a P1.5 forum here with abundant use of stickies to create a step-by-step manual of basic procedures. That would be less dramatic than migrating to a separate site and probably more courteous to Adam.

But... I do think something needs to be done. This thread is more than the sum of its posts!

Reworking my Phantom 1.5 with the Fr Sky X4R-SB - 3/16 Channel Receiver, w/S-BUS...

15316369065_6057e1e3c6_b.jpg

Ready to Rock 'n' Roll with a test flight early this week...

Not sure when I'll get around to this project, but I'm starting to get parts in! $50 shipped from UAVproducts.com

IMG_6847_zps8b8e5be9.jpg

IMG_6848_zps1920c30d.jpg

Alright guys I received all my parts and I'm near completion. I have a question though, I also have the phantom 2 usb port I would like to use but the P1 led has a built in usb. Is there anyway I can keep the P1 led (since I already drilled holes and installed it) but yet run the P2 usb? I have plenty of room under the led for the P2 usb to mount in the factory location. The wiring is whats throwing me for a loop. I spliced the red, orange, orange, brown to the P1 led but my computer wouldn't recognize the P2 usb. I haven't tried it yet but Im thinking I can cut the end off the oem USB cable and splice it to the P2 usb board while leaving it plugged up to the P1 led/usb. Suggestions?

Also not sure its mentioned here but for those of you running a gimbal the P2 landing gear is roughly 1/2in taller than the P1.

Attachments

• 2014-09-22 18.40.22.jpg
    2014-09-22 18.40.22.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 494
  • 2014-09-22 18.40.34.jpg
    2014-09-22 18.40.34.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 475
  • 2014-09-22 18.41.32.jpg
    2014-09-22 18.41.32.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 2014-09-22 18.41.41.jpg
    2014-09-22 18.41.41.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 448

PJA said:
OI Photography said:
For any 1.5 owners in the US who have been thinking about the Multistar 5200, it looks like Hobby King is stocking them in the US now: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
Just ordered mine, but it wasn't in the US... ****!
I should get them by Christmas..... :cry:

The two I got from the "international warehouse" each took exactly 14 calendar days to get here....so you should have them in plenty of time to use with the Halloween costume you got for your Phantom :D

@zmnypit: are planning on having the battery opening be on the front of your 1.5, opposite of how P2's normally are? That's how you have your NAZA installed so I wanted to make sure that was your intention.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to use a P1 (or NAZA) LED while still using the P2 USB port, but I haven't done it myself so someone else will have to confirm that for you.

Yeah I rotated it 180*. I was just experimenting but ended up going the correct route. As far as the USB I've wired it a couple different ways but so far the only way to get my laptop to see the p2 USB is unhook the p1 led.

zmnypit said:
Yeah I rotated it 180*. I was just experimenting but ended up going the correct route. As far as the USB I've wired it a couple different ways but so far the only way to get my laptop to see the p2 USB is unhook the p1 led.

I had the same problem when wiring up both v1 LED and v2 LED. Basically two USB ports cannot be in the same circuit as they draw too much current (or something like that :? ).

The only way I got it working was to put a small switch inline on the postive (vcc) wire for the P1 LED cable. This allowed me to have 'flight mode' which makes both LED's flash correctly (but USB doesn't function). Then throw the switch and bingo USB mode works. A bit of hassle but very workable.

Vidoe and pictures of it are explained in on my post #12 of my blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084603 where you will also find my video on how i sorted it ;)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHfYdDh-oM[/youtube]

I've been trying to sell my waterproof QuadH2o at a firesale price but have had little serious interest. It occurs to me that I might be better off if I transplant the principal components from the H2o into a P2 shell. My reasons for doing this: get the most value from the QH2o and have a mate/backup for my P1.5, which I find suits my needs very well.

Or... should I transplant to another frame, preferably one that is compact or foldable?

My doubts about using another P2 shell for such a project hinge on 2 things: the H2o has 900 kv T-motors, and it uses 4s batteries (I have 9!).

Otherwise, it has the NAZA V2/GPS, iOSD Mark II, BTU, SimonK ESC's. (10x5 props)

What I'm looking for is the best way to use these components, plus the Ground Station (I have an extra), in a quad that will get at least 10 minutes flight time for photo mapping.

Can you please help me brainstorm this?

GearLoose said:
I've been trying to sell my waterproof QuadH2o at a firesale price but have had little serious interest. It occurs to me that I might be better off if I transplant the principal components from the H2o into a P2 shell. My reasons for doing this: get the most value from the QH2o and have a mate/backup for my P1.5, which I find suits my needs very well.

Or... should I transplant to another frame, preferably one that is compact or foldable?

My doubts about using another P2 shell for such a project hinge on 2 things: the H2o has 900 kv T-motors, and it uses 4s batteries (I have 9!).

Otherwise, it has the NAZA V2/GPS, iOSD Mark II, BTU, SimonK ESC's. (10x5 props)

What I'm looking for is the best way to use these components, plus the Ground Station (I have an extra), in a quad that will get at least 10 minutes flight time for photo mapping.

Can you please help me brainstorm this?

Definatley worth holding onto the internals IMO. Given all the constraints that were put on the NAZA in the P2 I think the NAZA v2 setup is something to hold onto forever!
If you are running 2216 900kvs you'd have no trouble fitting them in the P2 shell.

Personally I'd go for something new and different though ;-) I keep transporting my Naza v2 setup around all over the place... first to 450 then a XuGong then a hybrid of the two... and now an HK Alien 560 folding quad which so far is working out pretty good. I am runnng T-Motor 800kvs on it and 4S so 900's would be fine.

IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

Depends on what your budget is really. Of course the other options would be a TBS Discovery (just not foldable) or wait for the ImmersionRC XuGong Pro which is coming later this year.

Oh and don't get tempted with these T-motor 11x3 CF props... they fly like a turd! :oops:

DeweyAXD said:
Oh and don't get tempted with these T-motor 11x3 CF props... they fly like a turd! :oops:

Wow really? I'm still thinking about the 12x4's for my hex.

Maybe try some graup 11x5's on your quad? Or even some gemfan carbon-nylon blend 11x5's like I currently have (and love).

Yeah i mean they gorgeous items and very well made but i think the profile isn't very efficient unless you are running bigger 35+ motors and then 11's are a bit small. I am sure they have their place for certain applications but i still find the Graupner my favourite for t-motors. That said i'd have DJI self locking 12's any day if i could get the m6 prop 039 adapter in the uk anwhere!!

Kinda off topic there though i guess.

Well, Dewey, you definitely have me thinking... and by coincidence I just discovered that a friend is flying an Alien, so there's another "vote".

What kind of flight times do you get? My principal interest is photography with the Ground Station, so I'd be adding a gimbal and the "air end" GS hardware.

DeweyAXD said:
That said i'd have DJI self locking 12's any day if i could get the m6 prop 039 adapter in the uk anwhere!!

Kinda off topic there though i guess.

These? http://www.electricwingman.com/t-motor- ... tors-pa039

Those are the ones that are supposed to be used with their new beechwood props too, right?

Yeah they are like those but made for the 2216 MT series... seems I meant PA30 (and PA29) instead of PA39: http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/a ... 2/246.html
I've seen them out there somewhere but Electricwingman (which is where I tend to always shop for props) don't have them yet... of course I've not asked them to source them for me yet which I'm sure they could do... in time! I'm amazed though as the 2216 is so popular and these adapters make it an easy upgrade path for a Phantom.... though it might detratct from the Anti Gravitys hence why they are hush hush?!

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah they are like those but made for the 2216 MT series... seems I meant PA30 (and PA29) instead of PA39: http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/a ... 2/246.html
I've seen them out there somewhere but Electricwingman (which is where I tend to always shop for props) don't have them yet... of course I've not asked them to source them for me yet which I'm sure they could do... in time! I'm amazed though as the 2216 is so popular and these adapters make it an easy upgrade path for a Phantom.... though it might detratct from the Anti Gravitys hence why they are hush hush?!

Ahh ok the 29/30 set look like they'll work with stock Phantom props too?

Any idea if the ones I linked will work with the E600 props? I'd love to get a set of those on my hex!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor