Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Seedler said:
Managed to get 20 mins flight today with 2 x 4000 multistars. My rig is around 1400g. I reckon these two batteries will fit in the P2 shell with the rails cut out. I'm guessing I'd get well over half an hour with it stripped bare.

My question is, is all this weight bad for the motors? Should I upgrade them, or upgrade bearings?

Thanks,

Dee.

Unlikely the motors will grumble over 1400g - Don't forget the 2212's are actually the same motor as a F450 which can take 4s battery and about 2kg without many issues. The cavet to that is the 450 would/should be using 30amp ESC's rather than the 18amps that the Phantom has (hence why it is not a great idea to use a 4s in an un-modded Phantom).

Anyway long and the short... yes you'll be fine on stock but T-motors would be even better due to the ceramic Ezo bearings. If you are concerned then fly it for 5 mins, land it and immediatley feel the heat on each motor. They should be warm quite warm to the touch but not hot. If one is hotter than the others then the bearings are probably on the way out.

Also on a final not. In my opinion you are better off buying new motors than replacing bearings if you can possiblly afford it. Yes sometimes the bearinds simply pop out but I've never had a single motor yet where it was that easier and I've destroyed 2 in the process. Better to just keep them as emercancy spares and get some quality motors..... or better still buy a cheap X900 tric-copter frame, kk2 board and a Q-brain ESC and make yourself a second craft :lol:

Cheers DeweyAXD that eases my mind a bit :)

Sorry - but I'm unable to scroll through 89 pages here at work. Can someone quickly just tell me the run time advantage of doing this to my 1.1.1?

I have several stock batteries. Or would a p2 battery fit? And whats the run time on time on that?

Thanks for the answers.

Also, whats the other advantage for me to do this?

HoverMan said:
Sorry - but I'm unable to scroll through 89 pages here at work. Can someone quickly just tell me the run time advantage of doing this to my 1.1.1?

I have several stock batteries. Or would a p2 battery fit? And whats the run time on time on that?

Thanks for the answers.

You could use a P2 batt, or a standard lipo of the same capacity and size (e.g. the Multistar 5200mAh) for a lot less money. Having that choice is one of the main benefits of the conversion. You can get P2-grade flight times and payload capacity, without being forced to use a P2 batt or being subject to the other restrictions on flight etc that the P2 firmware has.

GearLoose said:
Now that I've flown my P1.5 for a few months it is time for a brief review update.

I love it!

At well over 1400 grams "Miss Piggy" is still quick enough on her feet to occasionally raise my pulse. The addition of the iPad Ground Station might have added weight but it also added real value to the 1.5 conversion. Today, for example, I flew seven missions for our local Land Trust -- they are overjoyed by the video and stills I'm able to give them. I've set up a charging station in my van, so with three P2 batteries and long coffee breaks I'm able to fly almost continuously.

Earlier I wrote that I was only getting a "safe" 8 or 9 minutes of flight, which I attributed to Miss Piggy's considerable weight. Well, I have to confess that I miscalculated -- I thought the P2 battery was 4200 mah. Battery error in my favor.... After recognizing the error I began extending flights and now regularly get 10, 11 and sometimes 12 minutes, depending on wind and flying style. This has been more than enough air time for the autonomous missions I was hoping to fly when I began the 1.5 conversion.

Thanks again to all of you who blazed the trail!

Great to hear that. I've just read the las half of this thread. It seems that you have exactly what I want.
I have the Tarot T2D and Phantom 1.
Could you list again what is your final build and tell if with the latest news/options the guys came up here with, you would had done anything different.

OI Photography said:
HoverMan said:

Thanks for the answers.

You could use a P2 batt, or a standard lipo of the same capacity and size (e.g. the Multistar 5200mAh) for a lot less money. Having that choice is one of the main benefits of the conversion. You can get P2-grade flight times and payload capacity, without being forced to use a P2 batt or being subject to the other restrictions on flight etc that the P2 firmware has.

OI, you're always answering my crazy questions! Thanks

I see the p2 typically gets 25min but I assume this mod yields around 20min given that we're arent running the same hardware.

HoverMan said:

I see the p2 typically gets 25min but I assume this mod yields around 20min given that we're arent running the same hardware.

That's because you're always asking ones I happen to know the answer to lol.

A P2 will only hit 25 min if it's flying pretty much naked, no camera/gimbal/fpv strapped on. But at any weight you can get the same or close to the same flight times with a 1.5 as a with a P2, when using the P2 batt or the Multistar I mentioned above (and P2 props).

OI Photography said:
HoverMan said:

That's because you're always asking ones I happen to know the answer to lol.

A P2 will only hit 25 min if it's flying pretty much naked, no camera/gimbal/fpv strapped on. But at any weight you can get the same or close to the same flight times with a 1.5 as a with a P2, when using the P2 batt or the Multistar I mentioned above (and P2 props).

Thanks. Well I've been researching this pretty hard. I watched the entire post #1 video by D3wey and I found this part:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1831734/ ... erialId=62

online. Says I can use a single XT60 5400mah battery for around $45. If I do the mod and have all that extra room the door gives me, whats the best bang for the buck in terms of batteries? I still have my moderately heavy Arris gimbal (still not working currently) and a hero2 to lug around. Hoping to hit the 20min mark. Oh, and where are you guys buying the p2 shells from?

Have you done this?

You can get a deeper door like that if you want an use the 5200mAh battery linked at the top of that Shapeways ad, but you don't have to, you can use this one instead (same manufacturer and capacity, just different casing), and it'll fit in the P2 bay completely: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

That's the one I've been using, here's what it looks like inside:
32kEobrl.jpg

And as a size reference:
swqIbc5l.jpg

Here's the 1st dealer I found with the P2 shell in stock: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... Arnj8P8HAQ

Many DJI dealers sell it but it seems a lot are out of stock at the moment.

As for the 20 min flight times, I don't know that you'll quite be able to reach that, it depends on your total weight. When loaded with a gimbal and FPV a regular P2 will only get to the 15-17 minute range, and with that 5200 mAh batt above I've hit 17 min on a loaded 1.5 (w/H3-3D, iOSD mini, FPV). My total flight weight was 1348g, so if you manage to get lighter than that you'll be able to milk more time out of it than I did.

Would it make sense to change the board of my Phantom 1 if I'm justo using a Tarot gimbal?

OI Photography said:
You can get a deeper door like that if you want an use the 5200mAh battery linked at the top of that Shapeways ad, but you don't have to, you can use this one instead (same manufacturer and capacity, just different casing), and it'll fit in the P2 bay completely: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

That's the one I've been using, here's what it looks like inside:

And as a size reference:

Here's the 1st dealer I found with the P2 shell in stock: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... Arnj8P8HAQ

Many DJI dealers sell it but it seems a lot are out of stock at the moment.

As for the 20 min flight times, I don't know that you'll quite be able to reach that, it depends on your total weight. When loaded with a gimbal and FPV a regular P2 will only get to the 15-17 minute range, and with that 5200 mAh batt above I've hit 17 min on a loaded 1.5 (w/H3-3D, iOSD mini, FPV). My total flight weight was 1348g, so if you manage to get lighter than that you'll be able to milk more time out of it than I did.

Thanks again. I checked and UAVProducts also has the shell for $50. Is this a good price? I know he's a good seller. I've bought props from there before.

Martiniarosa: My P1.5 is nothing special in terms of the mods: moving the guts of the P1.0 (already equipped with a Futaba radio tx and Tarot gimbal) into the P2 shell, I then added iOSD Mini, PMU, an external LED module (using Dewey's bracket), extended landing gear, a very small power switch for the gimbal, and an XT60 battery connector (in addition to the P2 battery connector). The "air end" of the Ground Station came later, Velcroed to the belly, just behind the gimbal.

I reversed the position of the NAZA so that the battery opening would be at the rear of the quad.

I also switched to P2 props, genuine DJI (after testing crappy knockoffs).

Considering that Miss Piggy is definitely a bit "chunky" at about 1450 grams, if I were to do this again on a second P1.0 (and I'm considering that) I'd follow at least some of the weight loss measures described in this thread -- removing the case from the iOSD Mini, stripping and shortening Canbus cables, using the upgrade board, etc.

But... those are measures that require more time, patience and skill than I was able to invest when I did the 1.5 mod.

In fact, for my purposes Miss Piggy does just fine "as is". Would another minute of flying time be worth the trouble and expense in paring her weight down? I'm not entirely convinced.

The main issue I've had so far is the weakness of the extended landing gear. I am a clumsy pilot and have broken the gear several times with rough landings. Fortunately it breaks near the base of the legs, so I just stick it together again with a slightly flexible marine glue -- works fine. But, I learned my lesson and always hand-catch now, carefully grasping the gear at the base of the leg. Many people argue that hand-catching is dangerous. I argue that using a chainsaw is even more dangerous. I have three.

The switch I installed for power to the gimbal didn't last long. I didn't replace it after it failed.

The most difficult part of the conversion was ponying up the $$ for three DJI P2 batteries. I will soon receive a pair of 2700 batteries, however, so if those work out I'll suggest that you forego the P2 battery option and stick with OI Photography's much more affordable recommendations.

The Phantom was my first introduction to RC. I knew how to solder but hadn't done much of that for decades. My eyes aren't good and my hands shake. Nonetheless, with the excellent support I got from the participants of this thread, I successfully did the conversion. A certain amount of cursing was involved, but that is par for the course, eh? :)

martinlarosa said:
Great to hear that. I've just read the las half of this thread. It seems that you have exactly what I want.
I have the Tarot T2D and Phantom 1.
Could you list again what is your final build and tell if with the latest news/options the guys came up here with, you would had done anything different.

Thanks very much GearLoose. I've been anxiously waiting for you answer since last night!
So thinking in having iOSD and GS, should I just go and buy the P2 board, guys? Is that the new standard. Even if I won't use the Zenmuse?
I'm thinking on keeping the original controller. Is that ok or should I get a 5.8 controller and use a 2.4 fPV transmitter?

HoverMan said:
Thanks again. I checked and UAVProducts also has the shell for $50. Is this a good price? I know he's a good seller. I've bought props from there before.

Yes! I had no idea anybody had them for that price! I trust that dealer too so I'd jump on that if I were you :)

OI Photography said:
HoverMan said:

Yes! I had no idea anybody had them for that price! I trust that dealer too so I'd jump on that if I were you :)

I didnt see them on the site but I sent an email and he told me. Maybe its a behind the counter thing!

Also, waiting to hear back from Arris about what to do with my gimbal. Then I may have to resort to adjusting the arms.

I'm not the best person to answer this question -- I didn't use the P2 board myself but I believe it will save you some weight and perhaps involve less soldering. I'll be interested myself in hearing what others suggest.

I just came in after doing 3 waypoint flights. Near perfect flying conditions and beautiful September light. I flew two missions from our cabin, following along the edge of our neighbor's pasture @ 200', looking for elk (none seen). Then another long flight over the wetlands to the SW of us, farther than I've ever gone before -- and spotted a very fine beaver lodge.

Flying here is very exciting, mainly because most of it is "sudden death" if things go really wrong. Serious forest and even more serious wetlands that would require a helicopter in order to retrieve a quad. But... who can resist, right? :)

I use a Futaba T8J and a diversity monitor with a BlueBeam and iBCrazy 3-turn helical, also Fatshark Attitude goggles with a BlueBeam. There are so many very tall trees here, however, that I rarely go beyond 200-500 meters before I lose reception entirely. That's one of the reasons I like the Ground Station so much as it allows me to go beyond visual range, inside tree lines I've otherwise have to fly well above, +200'.

martinlarosa said:
Thanks very much GearLoose. I've been anxiously waiting for you answer since last night!
So thinking in having iOSD and GS, should I just go and buy the P2 board, guys? Is that the new standard. Even if I won't use the Zenmuse?
I'm thinking on keeping the original controller. Is that ok or should I get a 5.8 controller and use a 2.4 fPV transmitter?

I forgot to mention one more very important mod that I added to the P1.5: painting the front half of the shell a glaring orange. I cannot distinguish orientation on an all-white Phantom if it is more than 50 meters from me. With the front half painted orange, however, I can now spot it reliably at quite a distance.

GearLoose said:
I forgot to mention one more very important mod that I added to the P1.5: painting the front half of the shell a glaring orange. I cannot distinguish orientation on an all-white Phantom if it is more than 50 meters from me. With the front half painted orange, however, I can now spot it reliably at quite a distance.

Care to post a picture of yours? I'm interested to see how the orange looks!

HoverMan said:
GearLoose said:

Care to post a picture of yours? I'm interested to see how the orange looks!

Correction: I used PlastiDip ....a ... paint that gives a plastic-like coating. Next time, however, I'll try a harder paint as this one scuffs easily and shows dirty fingerprints. I "masked" with ordinary clear tape -- won't do that again, either. It took longer to peel the tape off than to prepare and paint the Phantom. Still, I'm pleased with the effectiveness of the bright color for long distance orientation.

Attachments

• P1.5 painted.jpg
    P1.5 painted.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 414

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT