Video Editing

Reaction score
I am fairly new (3 weeks) to using a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ to capture aerial photography and video. I was wondering your thoughts on the best software to use for editing? I am particularly interested in video editing (i.e. improving the video/quality, transitions, adding sound). I am considering Apple's Final Cut Pro X, but I am open to suggestions.

I have good luck with iMovie and the advanced features. Can do most/all of what you listed below.

I'm a fan of Adobe After Effects myself. Photoshop CS6 is also fairly handy at doing edits in video.

I've been using iMovie and it's a usable program and "enhancing" does wonders on certain clips. I'm considering on trying out something else, but my '09 Macbook cannot handle 2.7k well.

I tried out Final Cut Pro X, and to be honest.. it's A LOT like iMovie with just a ton more fancy effects, IMO. :lol:

I highly recommend Premier Pro. Imovie is not a great option, as you are forced to render an entire video file before you can take a clip from it. Both Final Cut and Premiere allow you to pull from a video file and then render just the pieces that you took, when you save the final file. No matter what software you choose, I highly recommend signing up for a lynda.com account. The tutorials on there will cover any of these options and you will be an expert before long.

Premiere Pro. Fast workflow, lots of control and a ton of presets for output. I shoot mostly in 2.7k and PP offers a lot of control over cropping so you can take props out of your shot.

FCP X is a very powerful editing option that can do just about most things you can ask of it but as you are obviously on a Mac does iMovie not come with your machine? If you have it I would start with that and consider moving to FCP X if you need more.

FCP X will edit 4k if you have the right (non) vintage Mac. Older models will struggle. In fact the latest upgarde wont run on some machines pre 2009.

Now this is worth taking on board. All upgrades to FCP X have, so far, come free of charge. So if you started with the very first version a couple of years ago you could now be running the very latest without having to pay a penny extra - unless you need to upgrade you hardware!

sidebox said:
I highly recommend Premier Pro. Imovie is not a great option, as you are forced to render an entire video file before you can take a clip from it. Both Final Cut and Premiere allow you to pull from a video file and then render just the pieces that you took, when you save the final file. No matter what software you choose, I highly recommend signing up for a lynda.com account. The tutorials on there will cover any of these options and you will be an expert before long.

Agreed with regards to Lynda.com. It's a fantastic site with tutorials on anything and everything from creation to editing. Makes some of the more intimidating programmes from Adobe and the like far more enjoyable to use.

After Effects and Photoshop, although capable of editing video, are not designed for it. You'll find Premiere much easier if you go the Adobe route. Which is what I would recommend but then again you have stated you only want to do basic things (adding sound and transitions) which can be done in the software that comes with your computer (Windows Movie Maker / iMovie) unless of course you are on Linux.

As far as improving quality this could mean multiple things. Do you mean things like sharpening, lens correction, colour correction? These things would require a more advanced program. Lens correction presets for GoPro and Phantom Vision come with Adobe Premiere CC on windows and I am pretty sure they have ported it to mac too in the next update.

Colour grading can also be done in Premiere but you may want to look at adding the Magic Bullet plugin to further assist in grading. Furthermore if you wanna try your luck at even more advanced grading try installing Davinci Resolve Lite (free download).

Other options could be:

FCPX or even FCP7
Avid Media Composer
Sony Vegas

I have been using CyberLink PowerDirector for a couple years now and really like it, powerful and easy to use.

I noticed that my school's computers have Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6 and I'm going to edit my P2 GoPro videos. Which one do you recommend? I want to remove fisheye and use 2,35:1 or similar aspect ratio. Is there any lens profiles for GoPro Hero 3+ or do I have to do it manually? Adobe Speedgrade is also available.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl