Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

I would bet Neil would have a big hit on his hands if he could emulate what the P4 is doing. At any rate, I would like to test this out with a wake boarder behind a boat once it warms up in another 6 weeks in Florida. Neil, let me know if you want a beta tester for this. I would have no problems promoting the video of wakeboarders flying through the air if it works.

That would be excellent. I'm actually curious to see how VS would perform with Wakeboarders. I've noticed in the past that the wake causes some problems with tracking because of how unpredictable and foamy it is. Are you on Android ?

The way I see it, VS seems well ahead of DJI on the visual tracking technology. They just need to make some choices on how they interface that with craft controls, either through their SDK or through their own flight controller (AKA Autopilot style). For the time P4s becomes widespread and trouble-free, similar visual control modes will be ready from 3rd part developers and most of the features can be made compatible with the P3 (since they are not hardware-dependent). The challenge VS guys face is that while very powerful for some particular uses (and very sexy), visual tracking is just an autopilot tool that is always going to be very vulnerable and probably unsafe for everyday flying except in expert hands. In order to make sense commercially as an autonomous software solution it needs to be integrated with other tools (GPS and beacon-based). Right now this market is very well covered with comprehensive solutions such as Autopilot and Litchi, which are a couple of steps ahead. So the logical solution would be to merge VS technology with these leading automated flight control packages instead of the pain and trouble to develop new solutions by either of them to get all done from scratch, with the (comercial) pressure of DJI saying that they "already have it all"). By no way I have a deep knowledge of this particular technological market so these are just my 2 cents.

We've thought about this and we're considering offering an SDK for other app developers to build on our platform. The Safety aspect of VS comes from the fact that we don't do auto-follow and while that's limiting in some ways, it's a best possible solution given that P3 and Inspires don't have collision avoidance. That's also a huge risk for Autopilot and Litchi apps. The interesting thing is, once VS is developed to it's fully features state - at least with all the features we have planned for the future, it can be a powerful application even on the P4. I don't see VS as simply a tracking app and we're going to try to simplify the entire workflow of aerial filmmakers as much as possible. But of course we have a B2B segment of the business and I encourage anyone developing their own apps that need visual intelligence to reach out to us to figure out how we can work together. You can reach us at [email protected].

Cheers!
Neil

Reactions: Erroll
Dji uses the main camera to visually track the object as the front cameras don't have a big enough viewing angle. If VS can drive the phantom to follow the subject then my money is theirs. Neil. Is there an issue with with driving the phantom to follow the object like dji?

So two points here:
1. Why do you want the drone to follow a subject ? As a filmmaker, I personally don't like the fact that I have no control over my shot with auto-follow. But I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

2. Technologically speaking, the big problem with tracking with a single camera is figuring out scale. We have terrible depth perception with only one eye. In the same way, understanding how far something is, without knowing what the actual size of that thing should be, is tough with visual tracking. DJI uses a couple of tricks to solve this. 1. they track people and we know how big a person generally is. 2. They use "change in scale" to relatively approach something. but I'm not sure how robust this will be. They may be coupling it with the RC's GPS to have a vision + GPS based follow system - can anyone confirm ? We're going to look into enabling this on Vertical Studio as well but I want to stay away from a "feature matching" race and define Vertical Studio as a separate product with it's own capabilities :)

Last edited:
I just got back from testing Autoflight's Airspace peer-to-peer Follow Me function and am disappointed. I was cruising around a parking lot going 5mph on a hover board and it could hardly keep me in the frame. That was a bust!

This is exactly where visual tracking solution shines. The trouble with GPS is that it's so slow and inaccurate that it only really works if you're far from your drone and moving slowly. At that point you basically look like a little dot in the frame - not very cinematic. The movements are also discontinuous, if not jerky. Of course if your goal is to film a far off tracking shot over long distances - you should use GPS. But please be careful using auto-follow systems. There is no collision avoidance on these drones.

Last edited:
Is this just for the P3 Adv/ Pro? I have a Standard so I wonder if I am SOL on the app

Thanks for asking! We're working on this right now. Anyone in Toronto, Canada with a P3 standard who wants to test for us by any chance ? Let me know! Either way, it is coming and we'll let you know. Just add your email address to our mailing list to make it easier for me to reach out to you. Thanks :)

Subscribe – Vertical

Hi Neil, weather in the UK still poor but whilst grounded had a little play with the app and in particular the walls feature which I find very interesting. On large areas it seems easy to place the limit with a wall but for a small area having zoomed in the wall is as thick as your finger making it difficult to be exacting with the placement. Is there any adjustment to the wall dimension when necessary to zoom in? Thanks Ian .
Glad to know you like it! there's no way to reduce wall thickness right now and it's done for ultra high safety with walls. We're going to look into reducing the thickness of the wall in future updates :)

So two points here:
1. Why do you want the drone to follow a subject ? As a filmmaker, I personally don't like the fact that I have no control over my shot with auto-follow. But I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

2. Technologically speaking, the big problem with tracking with a single camera is figuring out scale. We have terrible depth perception with only one eye. In the same way, understanding how far something is, without knowing what the actual size of that thing should be, is tough with visual tracking. DJI uses a couple of tricks to solve this. 1. they track people and we know how big a person generally is. 2. They use "change in scale" to relatively approach something. but I'm not sure how robust this will be. They may be coupling it with the RC's GPS to have a vision + GPS based follow system - can anyone confirm ? We're going to look into enabling this on Vertical Studio as well but I want to stay away from a "feature matching" race and define Vertical Studio as a separate product with it's own capabilities :)

1. I agree, that is not a filmmaker requirement. But hey, most of us phantom users are closer to geeky weekend wannabe shooters than to true filmakers. It is a sexy feature with sales power. But I see your point and I agree 90%. The other 10%, whenever the technology will be ready to allow quick tracking of close subjects with crash avoidance, that is really going to rock. We are still far from that though.

2. This problem really fascinates me and I think that DJI's tricks are reasonable compromises with the current technology. I am really unaware of the challenges for programming this, but since I started testing VS I speculated with possible ways to implement some tracking, at least enough to keep overall distance and orientation, when the tracked subject changes scales. Sorry if I am too naive, but wouldn't it be possible to include a "calibration" wizzard when launching a tracking instance, let's say I want to track a horse and then I get a simple wizzard that asks me the current distance to the subject, and the approximate size in cms. From that information I suppose it is possible to interpret the size of the object in pixels in terms of real size and distances, and at least contribute to "some" aiding in the following. I suppose that is the strategy dfollowed by dji in the PS4, but with quite primitive and task-dedicated options. COmbined with some fancy predictive artificial intelligence algorithms this kind of solution could be the heart of a visual follow-up mode, wouldn't it?

Hi iOS folks!

WALLS is now available on iOS. Thanks for your patience and we hope you guys enjoy using it!

43d0714c13382be6a0a81f1dc88479fb44842843_1_690x388.PNG

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Hi Neil, I have the beta tester version on 2 Nexus 7 tablets. One is version 1.0.0 the other is 1.0.2. I have updated via the playstore app to 1.0.2 on the earlier version but this gives 2 icons and 2 versions. Can you say which is the latest version and also for future how I update to the latest. Hope this makes sense. Ian

That would be excellent. I'm actually curious to see how VS would perform with Wakeboarders. I've noticed in the past that the wake causes some problems with tracking because of how unpredictable and foamy it is. Are you on Android ?
I'm on iOS. Another cool idea would be to use Walls in conjunction with filming a wakeboarder. You could essentially draw walls along the borders of the water way, a creek in this case, thereby ensuring your drone doesn't get caught up in overhanging tree limbs by accident. I don't know if Walls is that precise enough yet, but it would be nice if it was so that you could also use Walls to line a street for example.

Reactions: Neil Mathew
I'm on iOS. Another cool idea would be to use Walls in conjunction with filming a wakeboarder. You could essentially draw walls along the borders of the water way, a creek in this case, thereby ensuring your drone doesn't get caught up in overhanging tree limbs by accident. I don't know if Walls is that precise enough yet, but it would be nice if it was so that you could also use Walls to line a street for example.
That's exactly what it's meant for :) Try it!

We are making a change in our pricing for Vertical Studio.

Hi guys,

We got clear feedback from a lot of you that new users would like to try the app before committing to the purchase. We agree. So starting today we are changing our pricing model to a “Try Free, Buy Later” model. Here’s how it will work.

People can download Vertical Studio for free and try all features in the app, indefinitely, except for recording video on the SD card. To enable SD card video recording, you can upgrade to Vertical Studio Pro for $19.99 USD (same as before). We think this will help everyone experience Vertical Studio in a better way and we hope you guys like this idea.

We’re going to try to make this transition as smooth as possible.

SWITCHING TO THE NEW PRICING MODEL

FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS:
If you have already purchased Vertical Studio, you of course get full access to the new Vertical Studio Pro.

On Android: We have released a new Vertical Studio app on the Play Store and deprecated the old app. The new app contains an in-app purchase to upgrade to Pro. Do not delete your current app. I will personally send you a promo code for the new app.

On iOS:
the existing app will directly update to the new pricing. You don't have to do anything except click "Restore Purchase" when prompted for a payment to record.

NOTE:
The new Android app is now active. Get it here: Downloads – Vertical
The iOS pricing update is still NOT active. It will go live in a few days and I'll let you know when it does.

A few of you mentioned that you know of various groups and forums where people have been asking to try the app before purchasing. Could you guys please let them know of the change as well ? I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks a lot!! And always, if you have any questions - reach out to us at [email protected] so that me or someone on my team can help you out.

- Neil

Here's a tutorial on the new payment method.

Last edited:
Hi Neil, I have the beta tester version on 2 Nexus 7 tablets. One is version 1.0.0 the other is 1.0.2. I have updated via the playstore app to 1.0.2 on the earlier version but this gives 2 icons and 2 versions. Can you say which is the latest version and also for future how I update to the latest. Hope this makes sense. Ian

Hope my previous post makes sense.

Wondering if this'll be released for the Phantom three 4K

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hope my previous post makes sense.
Hi Neil, now totally confused. I have what i though was the latest version 1.0.2 but now see on your download link it is 1.0.3. How will i know if there is an update as the playstore fails to place it in my apps and as such no updates are registered. Is this still the beta version or do i now have to pay to continue?

Hi Neil, now totally confused. I have what i though was the latest version 1.0.2 but now see on your download link it is 1.0.3. How will i know if there is an update as the playstore fails to place it in my apps and as such no updates are registered. Is this still the beta version or do i now have to pay to continue?
The short answer is don't do anything right now. If you've purchased the Android app, do not delete your current app. I will personally send you a promo code for the new app.

This changes nothing for the beta. You still have the beta and it will keep getting updates as usual.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor