Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

Agreed. Flying and filming are a head-screw. I guess if we'd be after a perfect world we'd have an Inspire 1 with dual controllers. (1 pilot and 1 cameraman)
I was more scared of loosing the P3P in the sea than getting good shots. VS took most of the filming control over and I could concentrate on not ducking it in the sea. Luckily not too many trees to worry about.
I'd love to see the result on faster moving objects. Not too many published videos out there at the moment.

I reckon following a MB would produce some pretty cool shots.
As I said, he was only doing laps in an open park, so no cool shots yet! Even then VS often lost tracking if my quad went low enough to have contrasting backgrounds behind the bike. I can understand why it loses tracking, but I believe it shouldn't then pick some random shadow or tree trunk to track instead! That causes the quad to spin about which then makes it difficult to re-acquire the subject to re-establish tracking.

Another problem I am encountering is if the subject goes out of frame completely then VS doesn't acquire a new subject but it also doesn't 'relinquish' control so that that I can yaw and find my subject again. I have to switch to 'P' and back to 'F' to regain control.

ETA: Here is a quick upload showing VS switching subjects with possible 'interesting ' consequences:

Last edited:
this looks cool

if only the drone could follow with a smaller remote transmitter
try finding room for current kit whilst on a mountain bike down hill
follow mode ;-)

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Hello, wishing all A Happy New Year 2016. I was flying VS yesterday, I have issue tracking the subject riding bicycle in a park. The video I recorded couldn't show when the VS stopped tracking. It will be nice if I can record the screenshots on my iPad mini 4. Any ideas anyone?

Hello, wishing all A Happy New Year 2016. I was flying VS yesterday, I have issue tracking the subject riding bicycle in a park. The video I recorded couldn't show when the VS stopped tracking. It will be nice if I can record the screenshots on my iPad mini 4. Any ideas anyone?
I would also like to record my Air 2's screen. The only software I can find needs another computer wired to one's iPad - not very practical for this application.

this looks cool

if only the drone could follow with a smaller remote transmitter
try finding room for current kit whilst on a mountain bike down hill
follow mode ;-)
If you use Litchi app you can do this. Litchi, which is a paid app, allows you tether to a mobile phone. You install Litchi as your main ground station app and then install the Litchi leach app on another mobile phone. You 'tether' them together using the app and the camera will then follow the tethered phone. Both need GPS and mobile data enabled. My reply is not really on topic to the vertical studio thread but Litchi is currently my default ground station app and VS coming up close behind.

Reactions: Wacker2611
When I start VS my IPad air 2 on ios 9.2 give a black screen. Then I close the app and restart the app. VS then starts up with their logo screen. It's not an incident. It happens repeatedly. Anyone else with this problem?

When I start VS my IPad air 2 on ios 9.2 give a black screen. Then I close the app and restart the app. VS then starts up with their logo screen. It's not an incident. It happens repeatedly. Anyone else with this problem?
Yes, I have exactly the same issue on an Air 2. I have reported it here and on Vertical.

Have you tried flying and keeping a moving object in focus whilst the quad is not locked in position (i.e you are flying it around). It's pretty easy if use follow me mode and you ARE the subject. But when you are not the subject of the frame then it's pretty hard. I was pretty pleased with the results of the final longer video.
I've been flying R/C heli's since 1985 (First heli was a MFA 500) and drones for the last three years so think I have a pretty good grasp of coordination of all the controls. Before VS I was restricted to follow me mode.
To be honest you could get these shots manually but I reckon it'll take 10 flights and lots of editing. I only had to cut the composition once, plus I had fish to catch ;-)

Thanks for that :) Couldn't have explained it better myself. That being said, @Erroll, there's definitely some limitations with VS tracking in some situations (based on the environment). Further, for an experienced pilot, the value proposition of VS is the strongest for aerial shots that are the most complex - for example flying around in an orbit, while throttling up and speeding up faster than a subject. These compound movements are a lot simpler when you have to think lesser about flying and can free up energy to focus on things like composition.

What we're looking for with the beta tests is to see how much further you guys are able to push your drone filming skills using VS. I would love to see you guys tackle tough shots with VS and tell me what you thought were the barriers to using VS easily - user interface? tracking performance ? Although tracking will never be 100% perfect, it would be awesome to find the sweet spot where tracking works well enough to film most complicated shots you want to film.

I only asked because I am also doing Beta for VS and I am trying understand the complexities. I have not had the opportunity to test it on anything other than my son doing laps on a mountain bike, and that was already fairly difficult to keep him in frame without flying into stuff.
I'd love to see some videos of the mountain biking you've filmed. Feel free to share :)

Do you mean you're never able to connect to the drone ? Or do you see the UI (buttons and all) but the video is always black ? Could you try making sure DJI GO is not running in the background ? Let me know if that helps. If not this is definitely a bug. I'll investigate and let you know as soon as I can.

As I said, he was only doing laps in an open park, so no cool shots yet! Even then VS often lost tracking if my quad went low enough to have contrasting backgrounds behind the bike. I can understand why it loses tracking, but I believe it shouldn't then pick some random shadow or tree trunk to track instead! That causes the quad to spin about which then makes it difficult to re-acquire the subject to re-establish tracking.

Another problem I am encountering is if the subject goes out of frame completely then VS doesn't acquire a new subject but it also doesn't 'relinquish' control so that that I can yaw and find my subject again. I have to switch to 'P' and back to 'F' to regain control.

ETA: Here is a quick upload showing VS switching subjects with possible 'interesting ' consequences:

Thanks for the video! We're actually building a tracking performance logging system that will help us collect some information from you guys everytime tracking breaks. The idea is to then use these little bits of information to build an ever improving machine learning data set so we can keep improving tracking performance over time.

Send me your email address and I can resolve this issue for you. You can reach me at [email protected]

I would also like to record my Air 2's screen. The only software I can find needs another computer wired to one's iPad - not very practical for this application.
I haven't found a good screen recording app for Apple yet, mainly because Apple does not allow screen recording on third party apps. But it seems like Litchi has screen recording ? What exactly are they recording ? The video as well ?

I haven't found a good screen recording app for Apple yet, mainly because Apple does not allow screen recording on third party apps. But it seems like Litchi has screen recording ? What exactly are they recording ? The video as well ?
I suspect Litchi only records on Android. I have not found the option on iOS yet.

Is the beta still open? I signed up a few days ago, no response yet (I realise it's Christmas, but I'll keen to play with this awesome app).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT