Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

Hi all,

Today we are announcing a brand new feature for VS beta (Android).

We heard from a lot of you guys that you'd like to see more automated flight control in Vertical Studio, to film interesting shots using the simplicity that visual tracking allows. One of the most common shots we've all done is the visual orbit, but flying a beautiful circle around a subject is far from straight forward.

The standard way to film an orbit in DJI GO, and other apps you're familiar with, is to open a satellite map view, pick a point of interest, a radius, altitude and speed before starting an orbit. We find this seriously tedious. So we’ve built a different version of orbit, leveraging the core tracking functionality that lets you select any subject in the camera view and touch a single button to orbit.

To find out more about the feature and release schedule check out the full post here:
New Feature Announcement (Visual Orbit)

iiSqDSz.png

Hi all,

We heard from a lot of you guys that you'd like to see more automated flight control in Vertical Studio, to film interesting shots using the simplicity that visual tracking allows. One of the most common shots we've all done is the visual orbit, but flying a beautiful circle around a subject is far from straight forward.

The standard way to film an orbit in DJI GO, and other apps you're familiar with, is to open a satellite map view, pick a point of interest, a radius, altitude and speed before starting an orbit. We find this seriously tedious. So we’ve built a different version of orbit, leveraging the core tracking functionality that lets you select any subject in the camera view and touch a single button to orbit.

To find out more about the feature and release schedule check out the full post here:

iiSqDSz.png
Looks really easy to use. Neil, is this also envisaged for iOS?

LOL amazing as usual. What software are you using for all the "cgi"?!
I used my mates laptop with Adobe After Effects. It's a pretty hefty price. From scratch it took me 5 hours to do 30 seconds of video. I was bored at work and needed a challenge for the day.

Ended up with about 30 layers of objects in the video. Pretty sure a pro would do it in 1/2 hour but I'm just learning. There's some great object tracking features in there. That's how I got the coins to stay still relative to the ground. The coin was just an animated gif I got off the interweb from a free gif site.

It costs $29 p/m to buy the product. They charge by the month not for it outright. Maybe I need to look for a cheaper solution as my mate needs his laptop back after xmas.

Untitled.png

Hi all,

iiSqDSz.png
Slight break in the weather today in the UK so would love to test this today. When is it going to get released Neil?

Hi Neil, is this new features operative yet? If not do I need to update the present app? Thanks Ian.

Hi Phantom Pilots,

We’re Vertical, a start-up in the Bay Area and we're looking for beta testers for our app Vertical Studio.

One of our biggest problems with aerial video was that filming landscapes and panoramas is easy, but filming close-up shots of stuff in action is ridiculously complicated. Only the most professional studios with large drones and camera crews seem to be able to film those sweet complex action shots.

So we've built Vertical Studio. An app for DJI Phantom and Inspire that lets you film all those difficult tracking shots with a simple touch interface. How do we do it ? Well, we use some nifty computer vision software we’ve been building for over a year and pack it all into your Android or iOS device so you can auto-track anything your drone sees - without any GPS or tracking beacons. Just click on stuff in your video feed and let Vertical Studio handle the rest.

The best way to explain Vertical Studio is probably with this video.

If you’re interested in beta testing, we’d love it if you could head over to our website (Vertical - EPIC Aerial Filming) and take a minute to sign-up for either the Android or iOS beta. It will help us better manage our beta tests. The Android beta is available now, but the iOS beta should be ready in a few days.

Vertical Studio is compatible with DJI Phantom 3 (Pro, Advanced) and DJI Inspire.

And if you have any questions or initial thoughts about Vertical Studio, do let us know in the forum or email us at [email protected].

Cheers!
Neil
www.vertical.ai
I just signed up looks very interesting

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Hi, I am still waiting for beta testing in iOS very excited, just wondering for how much do you expect to sell the app when it launches? I am trying to decide if I should wait for the app to launch for buying it or just invest in another app

Hi, I am still waiting for beta testing in iOS very excited, just wondering for how much do you expect to sell the app when it launches? I am trying to decide if I should wait for the app to launch for buying it or just invest in another app

The beta version is free! We haven't finalized pricing yet but tracking is going to be a free feature always. So you're welcome to sign up for the beta or the production version and try it out whenever you like.

Hi Neil, I am still on the .3 version and even though I have the app installed it is not showing in the Google play store to update from. How do I get the latest update on to my app? Thanks Ian

Hi all,

iiSqDSz.png
Hi Neil
You're right about the setting up being tedious for some apps. Litchi for instance let's you set things up ahead of time, which has its advantages - saves time and battery power in the field - and would seem to be a good idea if you want a very controlled flight. For me it has two major disadvantages, one being the paucity of clear and detailed instruction, resulting in a lot of trial and error, but the major disadvantage for me is that my phone is always out, to some degree, in terms of locating me accurately. As a result I'm not sure whether the flight plan I plot is going to be the one that's followed.
I would like a function that allows me to plot a course ahead of time - with simpler choices or good documentation - but in the field, if I see that there is a difference between where I want the copter to take off, say, and where it thinks I want it to take off, I want a simple way of offsetting that difference that will affect everything I've plotted. So if I've plotted a course and it's out by 10 metres (I often live in the car park next to my house, or occasionally in the neighbour's house, for instance) I want to be able to drag the locator to where I actually am, so the copter doesn't fly into trees it would otherwise avoid by 10 metres. Or is it just me?

Hi Neil, I am still on the .3 version and even though I have the app installed it is not showing in the Google play store to update from. How do I get the latest update on to my app? Thanks Ian
Hey Ian,

Can you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling using the email link I sent you ? I think it may be because you have that special apk I sent you for the video decoder debugging. Let me know if that works for you.
Cheers

Wouldn't it be nice if there was like a Gallery that displayed the top 10-15 different videos that showed this software in action?

Reactions: Neil Mathew

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164