Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

Hey guys,

I submitted my email but have not received anything back with a download link, Not sure if it was sent and my spam folder got it or if it just hasn't been sent out yet?

Just wondering, did you sign up for Android or iOS. iOS is still under review in the Apple app store and Android is ready. I might not have sent you a download link yet because we're just going down the list sending out download links in batches so we can manage any issues with the installation people have as they come up. DM me your email and I can check for you. Thanks!

I was using mi pad to test the VS app. It worked fine for a few minutes before the app crashed while my P3A was in the air, then I tried to restart it but just said connect your drone... Tried many times but never could enter the VS app again, but easily connected to Dji Go app

Reactions: Neil Mathew
I was using mi pad to test the VS app. It worked fine for a few minutes before the app crashed while my P3A was in the air, then I tried to restart it but just said connect your drone... Tried many times but never could enter the VS app again, but easily connected to Dji Go app
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've never tested on Xiaomi tablets so we'll get this one and test it right away. We'll keep you posted. The app has been known to work well on Samsung Galaxy S series, Tab series, Google nexus 5,6 so far.

Hi, I signed up but haven't received anything further. When can we expect to start testing this app?

Thank you.

Hi, I signed up but haven't received anything further. When can we expect to start testing this app?

Thank you.
Thanks for signing up! We're currently going through the list of Android signups and sending out download links. We're batching them to make sure we can give people individual attention. If you've signed up for iOS it was take a few more days for your download to be ready because we're waiting on the apple app store to approve the app :) If you DM me your email address I can check on your registration for you. Cheers!

Hi guys,

We've just sent out download links to the next batch of 100 Android users so do let us know if there are any issues with the installation.

I wanted to share something new we've been working on. I spoke earlier about being able to automatically detect a person or anything else (animal, object etc) without selecting them using a machine learning system. We've been working on some software for auto-detection without select a box. It doesn't run on a cell phone or tablet yet because it's computationally too heavy but still makes a pretty cool demo. Check it out :) ** video is not public. Just for the forum**

Any plans for support for Phantom 2v+ - I'm still a ways away from my budget to upgrade, but I'd offer to help with a p2v+ - I fly regularly.

Any plans for support for Phantom 2v+ - I'm still a ways away from my budget to upgrade, but I'd offer to help with a p2v+ - I fly regularly.

Unfortunately nope! Sorry! The new DJI SDK doesn't support P2V+ because there's no lightbridge integrated into the P2V+. You probably can't even use DJI GO right ? Maybe it's time for an upgrade :)

Hi guys,
We've just sent out download links to the next batch of 100 Android users so do let us know if there are any issues with the installation
Hi Neil
I'm guessing you're swamped with people eager to try this and your personalised approach is appreciated. Without wanting to be pushy, I received the invite and it says an "you'll get an update with the testing version shortly.. It can take a few hours for the update to arrive." It's been 16 hours and I'm patiently impatient.
Does this come via Google Play - ie do we simply keep checking that, or do you send an update out for manual installation?

Hi Neil
I'm guessing you're swamped with people eager to try this and your personalised approach is appreciated. Without wanting to be pushy, I received the invite and it says an "you'll get an update with the testing version shortly.. It can take a few hours for the update to arrive." It's been 16 hours and I'm patiently impatient.
Does this come via Google Play - ie do we simply keep checking that, or do you send an update out for manual installation?

Hi John. That's strange when you receive an email from us ? Today ? Actually could you DM me your email address and I can check the status of the beta link ?

Posting this from a conversation with @John Decker so everyone can refer to it.
If you click on your google play store link and see this page (below). It means you're already authorized as a tester. Then all you need to do, if you haven't downloaded the app yet is click "Download Vertical Studio app on Google Play" to get the app. I've annotated the page below.

mKSJQ3N.png

I'm living proof that some things aren't idiot proof, so..

If you have an error that refers to activation, an error code -1, and the app won't start:
try turning your firewall off!
I have Mobiwol, which is an excellent product but I keep forgetting to adjust the rules or to turn it off and the default setting blocks my apps from accessing anything - hence the error message - the app can't talk to the drone or the Internet.

Secondly, if you then get an error message (was it about the camera?) after the app connects, then close it down and go into Settings and Apps. Scroll down to DJI GO (and, to be safe, any other app that has connected to your drone, such as Litchi) and Force Stop them.

Now it should work. It did for me and I'm the ultimate idiot.

[edited to clarify]

One question: why are there two boxes, blue and green? And a line between them?

Trying it out tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:
I'm living proof that some things aren't idiot proof, so..

If you have an error that refers to activation and an error code -1 the app won't start. Try turning your firewall off!
I have Mobiwol,which is an excellent product but I keep forgetting to adjust the rules or turn it off and the default is to block me apps from accessing anything - hence the error message.

Secondly, if you then get an error message (was it about the camera?) after the connects then close it down and go into Settings and Apps. Scroll down to DJI GO (and, to be safe, any other app that has connected to your drone, such as Litchi) and Force Stop them.

Now it should work. It did for me and I'm the ultimate idiot.

One question: why are there two boxes, blue and cream? And a line between them?

Trying it out tomorrow hopefully.

Ahh. Thanks for clarifying !! I get it now. The issue with DJI GO and other apps blocking video streams to each other is an Android issue i think because Android hasn't yet perfected the USB accessory software for apps. Unlike regular apps the DJI apps access hardware and this is like a whole new thing for Android. The Activation error -1 issue is actually because the first time you open the app it needs to be connected to the internet so it can register with DJI's server as a valid app. This is mandated by DJI and built into their SDK unfortunately. We have no choice :(

Ok now that we're past these irksome installation issues, I can explain what the boxes are. Basically the blue box is where you want to camera to point. That is what you initially select and your intended lock position in the frame. (a.k.a the center). The green box is where your subject actually is right now ...and the line between them is the path your camera is going to take to close the gap between the two boxes. That means your drone will always work to minimize the length of that line and overlay the blue and green boxes. You may notice that the green box changes size and becomes either bigger or smaller than the blue one. This is because the software tries to figure out the change in size of your tracking subject as you get closer and further from the drone.

If this is a little confusing (and i know it is...sorry :( ) try this - once you select a subject and you see both blue and green boxes. Touch the blue box and try dragging it. There's an easter egg in the app that we never revealed. Once you center a subject, you can actually drag it around and lock it at any area in the frame! Let me know how that goes.

My P3P and nvidia shield work great so far. Thanks for adding an amazing new feature to my drone. Big thumbs up!

Just me messing about . Can't really go anywhere at the moment as every where's flooded, so this really is the worlds most boring video. App works a treat, have yet to let it really flex its muscles but it does seem to track pretty well. About 1.30 in I was trying to yaw it out of tracking but it snapped back....Very impressive.
Anyway, this is scratching the surface with this app , it's fantastic. Sorry about the quality, poor conversion onto Vimeo.

My P3P and nvidia shield work great so far. Thanks for adding an amazing new feature to my drone. Big thumbs up!

Awesome!! Glad to hear things are working well for you. pheeww! haha. Feel free to share any videos you've filmed with VS. I especially curious to see how it performs in some of the harder shots you would normally do like chasing a subject or some sort of compound maneuver around a target.

Just me messing about . Can't really go anywhere at the moment as every where's flooded, so this really is the worlds most boring video. App works a treat, have yet to let it really flex its muscles but it does seem to track pretty well. About 1.30 in I was trying to yaw it out of tracking but it snapped back....Very impressive.
Anyway, this is scratching the surface with this app , it's fantastic. Sorry about the quality, poor conversion onto Vimeo.

Sweet! That looks like it tracked quite well ! I noticed you kept trying that direct pass under shot. Where you fly the P3 straight above you and then let it rotate as it flies over you to keep you in the frame. That came out really cool - we never explicitly programmed that behavior in but somehow the controller works. Pleasant surprise! I think what we'll do is optimize the control response to make sure that shot aways works well if it's something you expect to do often. Let me know! Thanks for the sharing the video :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT