Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

This is incredible, exactly what I needed!. Just signed in. Hope so much I can help you developing by testing this app by giving feedback. Enthousiast greetings from Amsterdam, the Netherlands!

PS Dec30 I will start a 7 weeks journey to South-Africa (Capetown) | New-Zealand south island | Sydney Australia | Bali | Bangkok. Would be great to have the app by then (IOS). Surfers, paragliding, trail biking, you name it.
If you need any ideas for NZ send me a message.

Oh sweet! Another computer vision nerd like us :) We should chat more. Yeah TLD is notoriously slow and so we've had to write out own proprietary, light weight, track-learn-detect framework that can run better on most mobile devices out there. The most processor intensive thing on the app, believe it or not, is DJI's video decoding. From our tests, it's run decently well on most phones - but I can't say for sure. Let's see how all the beta users find the performance on their phones.
Sorry for the late reply, Nice so you developed your own tracker... Impressive!!.
Didn't know that about the vid decoding, but.. I've received the beta version of the app and immediately I have a question :). Using a nexus 7, litchi and dji go installed, powered the controller and drone, received the question which app would connect...
In the status screen I've got the batt percentage, cam control and a couple of buttons but unfortunately no video feed..
Both dji go and litchi no problem.
Did start it with two methods: let the controller start it and manually starting the app. Connecting to the phantom fine but no vid..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

This looks awesome and i cannot wait to try it on my Snowboarding trip this Winter! I just signed up for Both OS can't wait to test it out and give some feedback. I also couldn't help but notice how this software could also potentially help with collision avoidance in the future by tracking objects and taking appropriate vertical or horizontal measures.
Awesome thanks for signing up! expect an email with a download link Android soon. You might have to be a little patient though because we're going through the list helping each person with their installation issues as they come up :) Thanks!!

Yes, the DJI GO app ALWAYS runs in the background unless you disable it manually.
(Can we turn this into a middle-aged rant about Facebook?)
haha. I guess facebook was a bad idea. Oh well. things you learn :) Why does the GO app keep running in the background? I'm not sure what to do about that but give DJI a call and ask them how to get around it. We'll keep you posted about that.

This is incredible, exactly what I needed!. Just signed in. Hope so much I can help you developing by testing this app by giving feedback. Enthousiast greetings from Amsterdam, the Netherlands!

PS Dec30 I will start a 7 weeks journey to South-Africa (Capetown) | New-Zealand south island | Sydney Australia | Bali | Bangkok. Would be great to have the app by then (IOS). Surfers, paragliding, trail biking, you name it.
Thanks for signing up and joining the conversation here! That trip sounds incredible and we'll try our best to get you the app before your travels. Please do share the videos you film with us as well :)

Can I ask you - What kinds of shots do you think you would find Vertical Studio most useful with ?

Reactions: Marlijn Franken
Sorry for the late reply, Nice so you developed your own tracker... Impressive!!.
Didn't know that about the vid decoding, but.. I've received the beta version of the app and immediately I have a question :). Using a nexus 7, litchi and dji go installed, powered the controller and drone, received the question which app would connect...
In the status screen I've got the batt percentage, cam control and a couple of buttons but unfortunately no video feed..
Both dji go and litchi no problem.
Did start it with two methods: let the controller start it and manually starting the app. Connecting to the phantom fine but no vid..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

That is strange. I'll have to look into this one for you. I wish we had all the android devices so we could try it out. unfortunately because, unlike any of the other apps, we're decoding the video ourselves and processing it - there might be some video issues on different android devices. (Cross platform woes). Can you try to make sure none of the other apps you mentioned are running in the background ? Also which Phantom 3 do you have ?

Joebar's problem might be related to the Go app running in the background (Litchi may be as well) but you can easily turn off running apps in settings.

Here's something cool we've been working on. In order to track a subject better, it's important to get Vertical Studio to understand how close or far a subject is from the drone. While it's difficult to get an accurate measurement of scale from a 2D image (the video) we can make estimates or relative changes in scale. This lets us keep the right size of box selected around a subject. Incidentally it also means we could potentially auto-focus or meter the exposure to perfectly expose your subject of interest. What do you guys think of that feature ? Would you prefer average metering or spot metering on the tracking target ?

Here's an example.

Reactions: ropate
Here's something cool we've been working on. In order to track a subject better, it's important to get Vertical Studio to understand how close or far a subject is from the drone. While it's difficult to get an accurate measurement of scale from a 2D image (the video) we can make estimates or relative changes in scale. This lets us keep the right size of box selected around a subject. Incidentally it also means we could potentially auto-focus or meter the exposure to perfectly expose your subject of interest. What do you guys think of that feature ? Would you prefer average metering or spot metering on the tracking target ?

Here's an example.
Will this mean you can in future get the drone to follow the object. i.e if the object is getting smaller the drone will move to follow it. BTW I prefer average metering for smaller objects such as in this example.

Reactions: Neil Mathew

Here's an example.

Auto focus based upon distance will be an advantage for the X5 and future cameras.

Generally, any form of auto exposure metering is ok for general use, but usually a problem for serious cinematography. If the exposure is set to auto adjust to the subject (spot metered) and the subject goes in and out of lighter and darker areas quickly, the video will be a mess. So long as it is user selectable, then great.

Reactions: DownUnder
All signed up. Would love to use this to film my sons MX racing, SuperCup car racing, and 1/5-scale R/C truck races. Would really help to keep better eyes on the flying instead of either hovering a lot, or getting out of frame all the time focusing on the safe flight aspects. It'll be a game changer for sure!!!

Will this mean you can in future get the drone to follow the object. i.e if the object is getting smaller the drone will move to follow it. BTW I prefer average metering for smaller objects such as in this example.

That's the idea yep. It's still tough to get an accurate enough measurement to do a full vision based follow for totally arbitrary subjects. But there are ways around it. For example, if you know you're following a person you can estimate scale based on a known model of what a person generally looks like and how large you expect him/her to be (a.k.a the machine learning / training data based approach). The one problem there is that phones still don't have enough juice to run some of the traditional heavy machine learning algorithms. We're working to make these lighter.

Auto focus based upon distance will be an advantage for the X5 and future cameras.

Generally, any form of auto exposure metering is ok for general use, but usually a problem for serious cinematography. If the exposure is set to auto adjust to the subject (spot metered) and the subject goes in and out of lighter and darker areas quickly, the video will be a mess. So long as it is user selectable, then great.
Ok that makes sense. So what I'm hearing is you want a certain amount of predictability to the exposure metering. Either make it a predictable spot metering for pro cinematography or average metering works well enough for most people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All signed up. Would love to use this to film my sons MX racing, SuperCup car racing, and 1/5-scale R/C truck races. Would really help to keep better eyes on the flying instead of either hovering a lot, or getting out of frame all the time focusing on the safe flight aspects. It'll be a game changer for sure!!!

Hah. That sounds awesome! Do you have any videos of those races you've filmed earlier ? I'd love to check them out to gauge how well VS would perform in that scenario. Thanks!

Ok that makes sense. So what I'm hearing is you want a certain amount of predictability to the exposure metering. Either make it a predictable spot metering for pro cinematography or average metering works well enough for most people. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure. Just like photography in general. If the user just wants to film and play it back with as little intervention (time in post) as possible, then auto adjusting exposure based upon the subject makes good sense.

Serious photographers will select the exposure settings they want based upon the situation and their strategy. Intermittent under or over exposed subject can be cut or worked on in post. But having the over all clip lighten or darken based solely on the subject is usually a non-starter.

That is not to say that the pro won't use point and shoot mode sometimes too ! ;)

BTW, I'm by no means a pro photographer. But I've listened to a lot of them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart