Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Uses other than photography?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RussA, Apr 4, 2014.

1. RussA

I've ordered a camera for my phantom and intend to enjoy taking pictures, but I was wondering if anyone has found a regular use for them besides photography? I thought originally there would be a chance they could be used for geocaching, e.g. maybe dropping a microcache onto an island in a lake (from the shore) or up a tall tree but my initial practice runs have not made that look feasible. Are there any kinds of contests, challenges, or other recreational uses? So far I have not met anyone in my area who has one but if nothing else I think they could serve as a good uniter for a club of some sort.

2. hook3m

Anyone play Ingress? I attached my phone to it and collected a bunch of XM. :D

3. WeaponsHot

It makes really good blended mud slides if you use a big enough bowl and turn it up side down. :lol: Just teasing. I'm looking at mounting a thermal camera to it.

4. Big Ben

If you could control Ingress on your phone remotely through another one you could use it to reach inaccessible portals. :D

5. syotr

I have seen video of Phantoms used to herd sheep and chase geese from a golf course.

6. Howzit

Yea, flying them. :p

7. iversens

My wife wants me to rig my Phantom with a gripper so she can send it to her friend's house to borrow a cup of sugar.

Now that the Ground Station works with the P2 I just need to build/buy a servo controlled gripper.

8. iversens

Since I bought my first P1 and even now with my P2Z I still feel an itch to challenge myself.

How about starting a thread dedicated to different challenges.

The trick is keeping them safe and legal to ensure the longevity of our hobby.

One idea is to post video/pics of an amazing/difficult spot you've been able to fly and/or land your Phantom.

I've been looking for large rocks nearby to fly my P2Z around. Maybe I'll find a cave in a cliff to explore?

Ideas?

9. OI Photography

10. RussA

Just as I thought - a bunch of wise guys, but I'm still having fun even though I don't have any livestock to thermal image in my back yard.

11. Mandrake

You could try bomb runs using the gimbal as a bomb release..closest to target wins..different heights for differing degrees of difficulty...Mandrake

Sent from the thing that does everything.

12. 4wd

4wd

I've used mine to chase geese off grazing land, it occurred to me you could use it to lift a mobile phone higher in a poor signal area, if you wanted to check SMS or email.

13. RussA

Someone, probably here in Silicon Valley, will come up with the "killer app" for these things. The commercial uses mentioned are all good. No derogation intended, but I bought mine for fun and photography seems to be the only real entertainment use besides just flying it around that I've seen so far. I'm not into models and modding. I can't even put a decal on straight.

14. joeflyer

How about using it to see if the gutters on your house need cleaning.

15. npalen

Now that's thinking outside the box! I'm going to use mine to sweep the patio. :)

16. acoll123

I did something similar to this a back in January. Noticed a leak around my chimney. We have a small pocket where two roofs and the chimney meet. Sometimes leaves get stuck up in there and cause rainwater to back-up and over some flashing. Sure enough that was the case I saw when flying my phantom up there. So I got up on the roof and cleaned it out. It would be nice if the phantom could clean that out for me - maybe the Phantom 3 . . .

17. mtbin2

Messing with Sasquatch!

18. RussA

That's actually quite imaginative. I just cleaned out the gutters last month - for the last time until this fall - but it would be more fun to look with the Phantom than moving the ladder all around.

19. joeflyer

I had my chimney rebuilt late last year. So one of the first things I did when I got the Phantom was to fly around the chimney to check out what kind of a job they did.

20. Hiway

Doomsday Prepper Propaganda Runs.... like they did in Vietnam with the leaflets.

Fast manual mode fly by at night in fpv mode with a release bay and little post it notes saying "We are watching you ~NSA" scattered all over the front lawn over the bunker in the morning.

(disengage LED's!)