Upgraded from Parrot 2.0 to DJI Phantom 3 standard

Reaction score
Not sure if I should called it an upgrade from my Parrot but this DJI 3 is alot of fun. Any tips are welcome or what accessories ya recommend! Bought a couple of things for it already.
dee4ae2b9e6e776f604cfb1d5685a118.jpg
e87c7027e7124cdac2d22b1f3282b90f.jpg
44ef3829de4af85d73a88dbbe6eee517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I left parrot 7 months ago and never looked back. My bebop would always disconnect and it never ended good for the six bebops I went through[emoji23]. Just make sure you calibrate it. If you find a good firmware that's works good for you stick with it. Load the map when you have internet if your tablet doesn't have paid service out in the field. get familiar with the return to home settings and how it works and what it will do when activated very important!!!! As for gear get a range booster all different types I just use the one that slips over the antenna uv filter if you into filming and photos, carry case or backpack it's a lot bigger obviously them the parrot Bebop which is the only thing that I actually do miss about the parrot Bebop good luck hope this helps and enjoy flying

Sent from my 831C using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know there's a ton of controversy around this but I'm a HUGE fan of the Litchi app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm anticipating receiving my very first drone ever and am a bit nervous about crashing first thing, but have been assured by following proper instructions etc. that these drones are fairly user friendly concerning flight. I have two devises to operate, an iPad mini and a Galaxy 7. Loaded my iPad with Litchi and the Galaxy with the phantom 3s recommended DJI GO. Hoping that I'm not jumping the gun, but feel satisfied after reading other posts on these controller apps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

First let me say I'm a wet-behind-the-ears newbie who has only flown toy copters and quads until the last three weeks.

I bought a Bebop (NOT the Bebop 2) about 3 weeks ago and loved it (compared to RC toy quads). Eons more advanced that the toys I'd been flying. I almost lost it at dusk, in the mountains outside Gatlinburg, TN, but managed to navigate home safely without putting the RTH to the test. Then took it for a very brief swim when a flight plan turned south. Apparently it's a hearty machine... I dried it out and it flew just fine. Loved the stability, the GPS/altitude hold, the [theoretical... never tested) RTH, and the video/photo quality. I knew immediately that toy drones were a thing of the past for me, and was convinced, momentarily, that the Bebop would serve my needs for the foreseeable future... which proved to be extremely short, as it turned out.

Several days after buying (and feeling right proud of it) my Parrot Bebop, I flew with a friend who has a 3DR Solo,

Big mistake.

It didn't take long for me to convince myself that I 'needed' more than the Bebop could offer. I had decided on the Parrot (budgetary concerns), but had already narrowed my 'if-I-could-afford-it-next-level' choices to the 3DR Solo, the Xiro Xplorer V, and the Phantom 3 Standard. (I even considered the Hubsan X4 501S and the soon-to-be-out 501A). My priorities were range, battery life, GPS/RTH, and IOC functions. I also didn't want to have to pay extra for a decent camera and a 3 axis gimbal.

Less than 2 weeks after buying (and flying several times daily) the Parrot, I pulled the trigger on the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I need it like I need a hole in my head, but I'd been reading and watching videos about drones for the last 6 months, and had decided that it had all the main features I wanted without going over $500. I really like the 3DR Solo, but I was gonna have to drop additional cash for a GoPro Hero, so I ruled it out and got the DJI P3S.

After flying it all of 5 times (and taking the Parrot out each time, as well), I am ready to give up my Parrot.

I'm amazed at the difference in stability/position hold, responsiveness, range, uninterrupted flight time, and other features (over the Bebop). It's significant. Very significant.

I'm glad that I got the Parrot and had a chance to fly it a dozen times or so. I learned a some good lessons without a huge cost outlay/risk (Walmart had it new on rollback for $200).

Although the Bebop is good training, the Phantom is in an entirely different class. I flew them both today and my confidence level was far greater with the P3S. It does what it is told to do. Period.

If I had $300-$400 more available, I'd have opted for one with Lightbridge, but I am hugely satisfied with the Phantom 3 Standard!

(Anybody want to buy a Parrot?)

Cabokalz, I just got my P3A a couple of weeks ago also. Practiced in my backyard for a week just to get a handle on the controls. Don't think I flew higher than 8'. Last weekend went out for the first time in a big open field. Just did some big loops but was nice not to have to worry about crashing into anything.
I'm using the DJI go app on an android tablet.
If you take your time with the drone, it's pretty easy to operate.

Only other drone experience was a used Parrot Bebop 1 I bought about 2 months ago. Read a quick start guide and tried it out one night in my driveway. In about 5 minutes I had hit my garage, a tree and my neighbors house.

Took it much slower with the Phantom.

First let me say I'm a wet-behind-the-ears newbie who has only flown toy copters and quads until the last three weeks.

I bought a Bebop (NOT the Bebop 2) about 3 weeks ago and loved it (compared to RC toy quads). Eons more advanced that the toys I'd been flying. I almost lost it at dusk, in the mountains outside Gatlinburg, TN, but managed to navigate home safely without putting the RTH to the test. Then took it for a very brief swim when a flight plan turned south. Apparently it's a hearty machine... I dried it out and it flew just fine. Loved the stability, the GPS/altitude hold, the [theoretical... never tested) RTH, and the video/photo quality. I knew immediately that toy drones were a thing of the past for me, and was convinced, momentarily, that the Bebop would serve my needs for the foreseeable future... which proved to be extremely short, as it turned out.

Several days after buying (and feeling right proud of it) my Parrot Bebop, I flew with a friend who has a 3DR Solo,

Big mistake.

It didn't take long for me to convince myself that I 'needed' more than the Bebop could offer. I had decided on the Parrot (budgetary concerns), but had already narrowed my 'if-I-could-afford-it-next-level' choices to the 3DR Solo, the Xiro Xplorer V, and the Phantom 3 Standard. (I even considered the Hubsan X4 501S and the soon-to-be-out 501A). My priorities were range, battery life, GPS/RTH, and IOC functions. I also didn't want to have to pay extra for a decent camera and a 3 axis gimbal.

Less than 2 weeks after buying (and flying several times daily) the Parrot, I pulled the trigger on the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I need it like I need a hole in my head, but I'd been reading and watching videos about drones for the last 6 months, and had decided that it had all the main features I wanted without going over $500. I really like the 3DR Solo, but I was gonna have to drop additional cash for a GoPro Hero, so I ruled it out and got the DJI P3S.

After flying it all of 5 times (and taking the Parrot out each time, as well), I am ready to give up my Parrot.

I'm amazed at the difference in stability/position hold, responsiveness, range, uninterrupted flight time, and other features (over the Bebop). It's significant. Very significant.

I'm glad that I got the Parrot and had a chance to fly it a dozen times or so. I learned a some good lessons without a huge cost outlay/risk (Walmart had it new on rollback for $200).

Although the Bebop is good training, the Phantom is in an entirely different class. I flew them both today and my confidence level was far greater with the P3S. It does what it is told to do. Period.

If I had $300-$400 more available, I'd have opted for one with Lightbridge, but I am hugely satisfied with the Phantom 3 Standard!

(Anybody want to buy a Parrot?)

I have made some modifications to this.

As I had mentioned, the tablet holder I bought sat in the ball joint, and did not allow sufficient clearance for manipulating the left stick. However, after much thought and experimentation, I found a stupidly simple solution.

I used super glue to attach the back of the tablet holder to the flat side of the stock phone clip and turned it into a great tablet holder! It sits up and away from the controller. I can even use the unused ball connector on the back of the tablet holder to secure my homemade sun shade!

20170312_224423.jpg
20170312_224449.jpg
20170312_224504.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna