Upgrade to 3.0? Fin Foil Hat?

Reaction score
I am concerned about the upgrade to 3.0 that has the flight limitations for airports. I do not fly near airports, so upgrading is not an issue in that regard.

Here is my concern, and perhaps I need to get my tin foil hat out. But, once I upgrade to 3.0, is there anything that would prevent DJI, sometime in the future, from expanding the zones and put on height restrictions that could effectively limit the height of flight nationwide. While I rarely fly over 200 feet and have only gone to 400 feet once, I am still concerned they they could limit up to say, 75 feet everywhere.

Is this a possibility? If I do not upgrade, would I be safe from this type of action?

I am normally not a "sky is falling" guy, but I see nothing but increased restrictions in unmanned flying.

I'd imagine that any future changes to these restrictions would come in the form of additional firmware updates...

Not sure if there's really any other way that such things could be restricted, though I suppose that they could implement something in their smartphone apps to disable FPV capabilities if they wanted to. But that would also likely require updates to the app. In short, my best guess is that if you don't upgrade anything further you're probably OK. There are also ways to downgrade all the way back to 1.08 if you want.

I am nearly certain that this is just the thin end of the wedge but as CRankin pointed out any further restrictions will need another software update so if the airport restrictions do not effect you then maybe you could update. Quite what the future holds is anyone's guess but overall altitude limits could come. The really scary bit would be if DJI could figure out a way to apply updates in a stealthy manner ......

pault said:
I am nearly certain that this is just the thin end of the wedge but as CRankin pointed out any further restrictions will need another software update so if the airport restrictions do not effect you then maybe you could update. Quite what the future holds is anyone's guess but overall altitude limits could come. The really scary bit would be if DJI could figure out a way to apply updates in a stealthy manner ......

It would be easy. The app is on a device with internet access... The app collects an update file... And passes it to the PV when it's connected. Would be easy.
I'm certain the current firmware does not support this -- but it could in the future.

Back to the original question, with any software update on any product, read the release notes. Only do it if it contains something you want, or a fix to a problem you have. If you are happy with how it's working don't update...

pault said:

The flight safety restrictions can affect you wether or not you're flying near an airport. Such as if you fly in an area where you don't have or loose GPS reception then regardless of location you will be limited to 394 foot altitude. Also you don't have to be next to an airport to be affected but within 5 miles of said airport. This has a bad affect on people who live in areas like NYC. Between JFK and LaGuardia airports that covers large patches of Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx. To fly long range in many of these areas you have to fly at least 400 to 600 feet high to retain line of sight. You're basically crippled if you live in NYC and own a Vision Plus or upgraded your Vision to the new firmware. Such a bad move on DJIs part releasing a "feature" like this without having an "off" switch to disable said feature.

DJI are probably worried about any future legislation regarding flying drones so will willingly do anything to keep in with the authorities. As there are so many countries involved it is possible that they go with the lowest (or should that be highest) common denominator.

I truly believe that v3 heralds the end of unrestricted drone flying * as far as DJI are concerned. As they seem to be market leaders then maybe others will follow ......

I do not want to sound too melodramatic but maybe now is the time we as pilots, get organised to ensure that we do not get walked all over.

* Stupid comment - it is the end.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3