Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

UK drone law- within 50m rule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dylan1273, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dylan1273

Hi all sorry to drag this up when there are a few similar threads But I am new to drones and trying to get to grips with the legal requirements but could someone clarify a point, the caa rules state you cannot fly: over or within 150 metres of a congested area, But only state you cannot fly: within 50m of a person or structure or vessel.

Now does the fact that the caa have omitted the "over" from the wording of 50m of a person structure or vessel mean that I can fly say 60m over a person, vehicle or structure and that's ok? Just not sure why they omitted the "over" or is it a case of I am not allowed within 50m irrespective of height?

2. teccer

within 50m of a person=================

the full sentence is======= unless landing or taking off when it's 30 mts, that's the rule I read

3. rockydog

It's a 50m radius irrespective of height.

4. Dylan1273

Thanks, a bit worrying really because that would apply to structures as well and what constitutes structures? I know bridges do but where is the line drawn? Looks like a totally empty remote field with no public footpaths is the only sure safe bet

5. ELHEAPO

You have to use common sense I dont fly over populated aways but there are times im not exactly 50 m over or away from a person i try to keep an eye on the app but its impossible all the time I do a lot of coastal shooting and sometimes i want to get close to shore and there might be the odd person walking their dog that isnt 50 m away but so long as im a good distance and im not endangering them i carry on you have to you your judgement I know some dudley do rights will disagree with me but lets face it have many people stay constantly within the speed limit whilst driving their cars!!

6. teccer

sorry but========

The aircraft must not be flown:

• over or within 150 metres of any congested area
    • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
    • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
    • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.
    another rule==========
    In a nutshell, these are the main UK drone laws that you should be aware of…

Firstly, the drone should not be flown within 50 metres of a person once it has taken off and begun its flight.

#6 teccer, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. Dylan1273

Thanks have seen them but can't figure out why they have omitted "over or" at the beginning of the 50m parts