UK CAA just renewed the FPV exemption for another year

Reaction score
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1168.pdf

The CAA renewed the exemption for FPV for SUSA (small unmanned surveillance aircraft) meaning for another year at least, as long as you have a competent spotter, you can fly up to an altitude of 1000'
FPV by definition means the aircraft has a camera that shows the pilots point of view from the aircraft with a near realtime view from the aircraft on a screen or via a headset.

Whoop!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is good news right? However, having an observer isn't always possible in my situations

yeah its good news as long as you have a competent observer. if not then the standard rules, 400' altitude limit applies. There isnt much call for flying at that altitude to be honest. mostly good for photographing extremely large areas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It has always been that way because the phantoms have a camera that allows the pilot to see realtime First Person View as though they were in the aircraft themselves. However, you follow the rules of the exemption, basically, max altitude is 1000ft (300m approx) and you have to have a competent observer to monitor for other air traffic using sight and sound while you fly. In the case of other air traffic you have to descend to 120m or lower.

I have been told there are no actual legal limits for flight just Visible line of sight to avoid a crash with another aircraft. But if you have a crash beyond the recommendations (500m 400ft) you would have a job proving that you were flying safely.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl