UAV Flying in National Parkss

deer1.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like his color grading.
Indeed, but the vast majority of the comments posted here are about the stellar video, the full appreciation of which is muddied by the artificial color changes of the footage done post. If you saw the original footage, without the unfortunate color grading, I am sure you would agree. :cool:

Indeed, but the vast majority of the comments posted here are about the stellar video, the full appreciation of which is muddied by the artificial color changes of the footage done post. If you saw the original footage, without the unfortunate color grading, I am sure you would agree. :cool:
To Each His Own.

I shoot in 4k, son used both 4k and 1080 on inspire, I edit on 40" HD monitor(soon to get 42" 4k monitor) but when played back on iPad or iPhone appears over saturated, and end up going back and forth a lot. I'm fixing to re-edit to shorten most clips, video is too long, but will try a no correction version to baseline for final post color work.
Back to the post, we almost shot the grand canyon before Red Rock, but I knew it was a National Park and not to fly but was Xmas day with few folks around, and I mentioned to park ranger I almost decided to go for it and his response was their concern was besides public safety the concern if drone is lost that's just more trash or damage to the park. But due to low crowd he said he would just have asked us to cease drone activities. He did say he would have loved to see it if we had done so.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hey I like all comments, if it weren’t for this forum and Max Seigal, id be on my 100th drone and still filming just my neighborhood

I'd stick with the original edited footage, without the color grading, which seriously detracts from the epic footage captured. It's well worth re-editing! :cool:
If you don’t mind me asking, what device did you watch the video on

If you don’t mind me asking, what device did you watch the video on
iPad Mini 4, which is pretty accurate (as in natively color calibrated) for most video viewing. Keep at it. The stellar original footage is well worth the effort! :cool:

Photo I took last year at Devil's Tower National Monument, WY (administered by National Park Service), -- takeoff and landing outside park boundaries, after carefully consulting a map. Devil's Tower boundaries are pretty compact, so it all worked out well. No problems at all from NPS or public.

View attachment 95533
Beautiful shot!

Photo I took last year at Devil's Tower National Monument, WY (administered by National Park Service), -- takeoff and landing outside park boundaries, after carefully consulting a map. Devil's Tower boundaries are pretty compact, so it all worked out well. No problems at all from NPS or public.

View attachment 95533
I rarely take photos with mine, I see I’m missing something special, beautiful shot. What settings did you use?

I rarely take photos with mine, I see I’m missing something special, beautiful shot. What settings did you use?

This is a "high dynamic range" composite photo. Three RAW shots while hovering at +2, 0, -2 exposures, then developed in Photoshop and composited with Aurora (Windows). But the most important aspect of the photo was just picking the time and place, and getting a bit lucky with the behavior of the sunset.

This is a "high dynamic range" composite photo. Three RAW shots while hovering at +2, 0, -2 exposures, then developed in Photoshop and composited with Aurora (Windows). But the most important aspect of the photo was just picking the time and place, and getting a bit lucky with the behavior of the sunset.
90% of success is just showing up, at the right place, at the right time! Well done! :cool:

Really nice content and sync with music; color balance somewhat unnatural. But back to the question at hand ... flying in NP’s is totally illegal. Personally, I can see why those who visit NP’s don’t want noisy drones to interfere with their enjoyment of the solitude nature brings in our NP’s. BUT ... I do think we all pay taxes to contribute to our parks so maybe the NP Service should consider openning the NP’s one day a week for drones.

I agree. For the most part I agree with the NPS policy. Visitors who come to beautiful places like Yosemite and Yellowstone should not have to see drones buzzing overhead. However, I think having designated days for drones and/or locations to fly drones would be a great compromise.

Reactions: BigAl07
I agree. For the most part I agree with the NPS policy. Visitors who come to beautiful places like Yosemite and Yellowstone should not have to see drones buzzing overhead. However, I think having designated days for drones and/or locations to fly drones would be a great compromise.
I've been told that in UT, you can buy a daily permit to fly your drone in their state parks. If true, that's a good start.

Reactions: THECaptainKirk
I've been told that in UT, you can buy a daily permit to fly your drone in their state parks. If true, that's a good start.
That's only true at one UT State Park that I know of -- Dead Horse Point, and only in the low season. Each park makes their own policy and some, like Antelope Island, have a 24/7 prohibition, don't even ask. At many smaller lightly-staffed parks the policy is if a park employee is around, ask for an OK, and if not, fly according to FAA guidlines.

Last edited:
With regards to the fantasy day for drones: never going to happen. The NPS here in the States is dealing with the problem now if too many visitors and are currently testing reservations to curb the flow. Unless... winter.

The thing is honestly and it’s just me, I don’t want my park experience disrupted by drones and the noise. It’s bad enough with the throngs of people, but adding the high pitched sounds of a UAVs just can be grating.

As far as the people who love to be absolute about launching outside the park and then flying in are missing the point of the law. They don’t want drones in the Park for multitudes of reasons and there you are flying in the park with a loophole which still violates the spirit of the law... you’re just being selfish.

If you don’t like the law change it. Don’t bend it to your selfish needs.

Besides LEOs have absolute judgement at the time of the incident. You will lose. You may win later in court but really? Do you really want to upend your life to make a point?

Reactions: BigAl07
That's only true at one UT State Park that I know of -- Dead Horse Point, and only in the low season. Each park makes their own policy and some, like Antelope Island, have a 24/7 prohibition, don't even ask. At many smaller lightly-staffed parks the policy is if a park employee is around, ask for an OK, and if not, fly according to FAA guidlines.
Thanks for the clarification! :cool:

With regards to the fantasy day for drones: never going to happen. The NPS here in the States is dealing with the problem now if too many visitors and are currently testing reservations to curb the flow. Unless... winter.

The thing is honestly and it’s just me, I don’t want my park experience disrupted by drones and the noise. It’s bad enough with the throngs of people, but adding the high pitched sounds of a UAVs just can be grating.

As far as the people who love to be absolute about launching outside the park and then flying in are missing the point of the law. They don’t want drones in the Park for multitudes of reasons and there you are flying in the park with a loophole which still violates the spirit of the law... you’re just being selfish.

If you don’t like the law change it. Don’t bend it to your selfish needs.

Besides LEOs have absolute judgement at the time of the incident. You will lose. You may win later in court but really? Do you really want to upend your life to make a point?

Well said and I agree completely.

Reactions: ravedog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka