UAS over Schools, Prisons, and churches

Reaction score
First of all, I know my state NC has specific rules regarding flying near prisons.

I'm a private Pilot and part 107 UAS pilot, and I don't remember any specific limitation regarding flying over schools and churches. However, many of the airspace warning apps seem to point out every single school and church, pretty much everywhere that I go.

Are there specific regulation regarding schools and churches from and FAA standpoint. I realize there are PRIVACY issues involved, but I'm talking about a closed facility with no people. I'm NOT talking about flying over a football game, but perhaps launching from a school parking lot to film a nearby landmark.

Thank you

Check your state laws. Texas is not very friendly with drone pilots doing things against people's will, so it entirely depends on your location.

I should have mentioned that, I have an NC UAS Permit also, and don't remember seeing it on the test or the study materials. As I stated the intent isn't to spy on people, but schools and churches around here generally welcome community usage. I'm looking for any FAA Rulings

Thank you, there are sooooo many schools and churches here in the "Bible Belt" that it really creates more trouble than it's worth.

The FAA doesn't go down to the level of "schools & churches". You'll just want to think about privacy and trespassing issues for those locations.

What's ironic is that "school yards" is where many of us learned to fly R/C airplanes back in the day. Now "Drones" are such a buzz word that many schools are now posting "No Drones allowed" signs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl