travel case or backpack for wider/exteded legs???

I'm just preparing to add the wider taller slightly curved legs to one of my Phantoms. I have a Go Professional case and I just purchased a TradeCraft - ToughCase X2. I figured worst case, if the new legs don't fit, I can cut out some of the foam to make it fit.

These are the legs that I purchased and plan to install.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGR ... UTF8&psc=1

The aftermarket tall landing gear will cause more problems then they're worth. 1- they're brittle 2- they don't have the proper compass mounting area. Learn to hand catch. And if you're seeing the gear in the shot, you're gimbal is not setup correctly. I've been shooting for 4 months with the P2 I've never had gear or props in the shot.

AerialCinemaGuy said:
The aftermarket tall landing gear will cause more problems then they're worth. 1- they're brittle 2- they don't have the proper compass mounting area. Learn to hand catch. And if you're seeing the gear in the shot, you're gimbal is not setup correctly. I've been shooting for 4 months with the P2 I've never had gear or props in the shot.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Since I only gave about $8 for the new legs, I'm not out that much. Too bad. I was going to mount the compass in the exact same place & distance from the bottom of the Phantom but it sounds like you have a real life experience which is valuable. I looked at the new legs and I thought they were made of the exact same material as the original one were but I guess not.

Incidentally I don't like the foam in the Tradecraft case nearly as much as the first Go Professional one. I wish now I would have paid the extra money and purchased another Go Professional case. The Tradecraft case itself seems to be as good as the Go Professional.

AerialCinemaGuy said:

I have to disagree. I installed the aftermarket taller/wider landing gear a few months ago when I upgraded from the H3-2D to the H3-3D Gimbal (which sits lower). I don't find them brittle and I had no problem mounting the compass. I have had no issues with the new landing gear except that my P2 will no longer fit in the my old case. So I'm looking for a new, larger case but I'm in no rush. A case is not mandatory for me. With the new landing gear I have no more worries about the H3-3D hitting the ground when it powers up and goes through it's start-up "wiggle", and I no longer see the left landing gear in my video's. :)

Im the same as you. Ive used the taller, wider landing gear for a while and have actually found them to be much more stable for landings as the bird is less likely to tip sideways. It also mitigates the gimbal hitting the ground on the start-up jiggle or when landing on uneven surfaces. I don't to hand landings, I've seen a couple of videos where people have slipped and opened themselves up quite nicely plus I actually like the challenge of landing, its all part of the experience. The taller gear is not as robust as the factory gear though and does tend to 'shatter' if impacted. It would be great if DJI made this gear and used the same grade of plastic as they factory landing gear then they would also probably make the compass mounting point correctly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom