Transmission range

Are you implying it does a better job at 5.8 than 2.4? Thanks
I've had several folks tell me to take it off auto and select 5.8 to improve my range.
I know the FCC widened the range of 5 Ghz and allow more power so maybe that has something to do with it.

Are you implying it does a better job at 5.8 than 2.4? Thanks
Yes, 5.8 works better for me for more range. Here's my theory why:
1. 5.8Ghz inherently can handle more data with the higher frequency, so it doesn't have to slow down the bit rate as much to get the range. As you know with P4 we would always slow down the video transmission bit rate speed to extend the range. However, when the auto setting with 5.8Ghz does automatically decrease the bit rate, it does this farther away, because it inherently works better handling higher data rates, extending the range.
2. 5.8Ghz inherently doesn't penetrate as well as 2.4Ghz. So WiFi signals from homes and businesses do not escaped to the outside as easy where we fly, hence less interference to compete with in the outdoors. This is especially helpful in urban areas with thousands of wifi access points.
3. The signal strength of the GL300F in 5.8Ghz mode is slightly higher (according to the FCC filing) than 2.4Ghz, which helps a little with range.
4. If you accidentally leave your wifi enabled on your phone or iPad, it will hunt every wifi channel for an access point, non stop, until it connects to an access point. This hunting will interfere and mess up the Lightbridge video feed when flying on 2.4 Ghz. The symptom is green screen breakup of video in the app view. For some reason when flying on 5.8Ghz the wifi hunting from iPad or cellphone doesn't interfere, implying that phones and iPads don't hunt for an access point on 5.8Ghz in the same way they do on 2.4Ghz. It's best to make sure all nearby wifi devices have the wifi disabled when flying.

Last edited:
4. If you accidentally leave your wifi enabled on your phone or iPad, it will hunt every wifi channel for an access point, non stop, until it connects to an access point. This hunting will interfere and mess up the Lightbridge video feed when flying on 2.4 Ghz. The symptom is green screen breakup of video in the app view. For some reason when flying on 5.8Ghz the wifi hunting from iPad or cellphone doesn't interfere, implying that phones and iPads don't hunt for an access point on 5.8Ghz in the same way they do on 2.4Ghz. It's best to make sure all nearby wifi devices have the wifi disabled when flying.

This would explain why the manual says to disable your devices when flying. I don't think this is specified in the Mavic which is curious...

I think Ocu-sync is DJIs future. It seems to work best, likely more immune to Wi-Fi, more consistent signal integrity when you're out a couple miles. I expect P5 to have Ocu-sync so it's compatible with DJI goggles, wireless, like Mavic.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72