Tilt control: upgrade needed in Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I searched the forum but didn't find anything directly related. Please excuse me if this has already been covered.

I'm planning to purchase a Phantom (not the 2/Vision) and a third-party brushless gimbal (not Zenmuse). Assuming I get the tilt knob kit for the transmitter, will I still need to upgrade the Naza and/or mainboard for the tilt function to work? Are newer Phantoms not delivered with more recent Naza units that circumvent the need to upgrade?

On a related note, do all third-party brushless gimbals allow for tilting or should I look for specific brands/models? i.e, are there budget gimbals that won't tilt at all that I should avoid if I need tilting?

Thanks,
Bruno

Bruno,
On reg Phantom in assistant software the gimbal function just needs to be activated for tilt.

And most 2 axis gimbals allow for tilt function

You will need to install a tilt lever in the back of the transmitter, or pull out the tiny potentiometer in the transmitter and wire in one to the case, there's YouTube vids to help on this. I'm no electro geek so I bought a tilt lever off ebay and tried it. Didn't work at all. So I followed the YouTube directions, awkwardly but managed to solder in a nice control on the front of my tx which gives me full tilt control; level, slight tilt below props, 45 degrees or straight down. Pretty sweet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 1,152
I think he is asking if the main be comes pre upgraded or if he needs to install the upgrade board in order to get the zenmuse h3-2d to work on an original phantom. I don't own a zenmuse so I can't say for sure, but I think you'll still need to buy and install the board post-purchase.

justsomeguy said:
Driffill said:
if he needs to install the upgrade board in order to get the zenmuse h3-2d to work on an original phantom. I don't own a zenmuse so I can't say for sure, but I think you'll still need to buy and install the board post-purchase.

No, he does not need to buy any board.

From the OP:
"and a third-party brushless gimbal (not Zenmuse)."

As noted above all he needs to do is enable gimbal control in Assistant, properly connect his gimbal to the Naza and install a tilt lever to his TX.

Ah, yeah. I missed that!

It's what I get for speed reading the thread lol

Hi, I Have a Phantom Vision, I removed the original camera and placed a Zenmuse H3-2D, on tha mainboard it has a connector that says "zemnuse", I suppose it doesnt need the GCU as the connector goes straight from the gimbal to the mainboard. Everything looks fine, gimbal is stabilized. But Tilt Control does not work at all... Has anybody done this upgrade before?

Radikaltech said:
Hi, I Have a Phantom Vision, I removed the original camera and placed a Zenmuse H3-2D, on tha mainboard it has a connector that says "zemnuse", I suppose it doesnt need the GCU as the connector goes straight from the gimbal to the mainboard. Everything looks fine, gimbal is stabilized. But Tilt Control does not work at all... Has anybody done this upgrade before?

I can only hope the Phantom 2 will have the option of tilt.

The Phantom 2 should have the option to tilt. On the Vision, it is disabled in software, with the X1 channel not available in the Assistant Software.

As for the board, there should be no need to upgrade and will have a Zenmuse port directly on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl