Thoughts on improving Video downlink

I have never read anything on the forum about the ceramic patch antennas, especially what orientation they are.

Considering household wifi is our main enemy with interference and mostly vertical polarised you would think if you positioned them horizontally interference would be reduced.

Some ceramic patches are circular polarised which would make sense for video transmission. I could not identify what type they have put in the Phantom. Someone else may know what they are.

I did find a small antenna I thought might fit inside the AC. Most of them have little or no gain other than they are directional. These are listed as 5dbi gain. WLP.2450.25.4.A.02 Taoglas Limited | RF/IF and RFID | DigiKey

The problem with those ceramic patches is is that they simply face the wrong way. If one was on the front and one pointed rear, it would be completely different. Some guys have moved them with good lock.

The best solution, IMO for the standard is to use OEM P3P antennas.

Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

If you guys ever followed any of my threads, you'll see that I tried many different kinds.

Matt, I liked your idea with the pro antennas. Have been reading your threads with interest.
They are about $50 here in Au. Those listed on 3bay US the freight kills us.

Matt, I liked your idea with the pro antennas. Have been reading your threads with interest.
They are about $50 here in Au. Those listed on 3bay US the freight kills us.

Ouch. I found the pictures of what I was talking about. About moving the OEM antennas.

This would be a good "low money" solution, but would be the most labor intense:

DBS Mods … itelite Phantom Menace ... mods and tips

Another alternative, which still works pretty well would be to acquire some u.fl to rp-sma cables, 6" long.

ewbv61.asp

And the some 2Dbi 2.4ghz router antennas.

81Zi1HpH79L._SY450_.jpg

I would think that those would be readily available to you in AUS. Right?

Then install like this:

hqdefault.jpg

I've had that set-up work for over 6000 feet in my neighborhood, which is very saturated with wifi.

ive already shifted the antennas front to back. It does help, but at 7000m once you yaw left right you loose signal with is annoying. I was going to try a tplink 5dbi omi

TL-ANT2405CL-tek.jpg

ive already shifted the antennas front to back. It does help, but at 7000m once you yaw left right you loose signal with is annoying. I was going to try a tplink 5dbi omi

TL-ANT2405CL-tek.jpg

Order a set a 2dbi too, they only cost a few dollars. Try a back to back. The 5dbi ones are also about an inch too long, so when you put them on, they have to sit at like a 30 degree angle, which isn't optimal. You want them straight up and down. I suppose you could hover and reposition them, then again when you land. Might get frustrating though. The reason it's important on high gain antennas is because of the radiation pattern.

9-dbi-7dbi-6dbi-2-dbi-range.jpg

William had similar results as me. He broke one of his 2dbi dipoles and threw a 5dbi router antenna on there just so he could stay flying. It shortened his range a few thousand feet.

Order a set a 2dbi too, they only cost a few dollars. Try a back to back. The 5dbi ones are also about an inch too long, so when you put them on, they have to sit at like a 30 degree angle, which isn't optimal. You want them straight up and down. I suppose you could hover and reposition them, then again when you land. Might get frustrating though. The reason it's important on high gain antennas is because of the radiation pattern.

9-dbi-7dbi-6dbi-2-dbi-range.jpg

William had similar results as me. He broke one of his 2dbi dipoles and threw a 5dbi router antenna on there just so he could stay flying. It shortened his range a few thousand feet.

length isnt an issue, its modified to hell already lol. Im going to play with different combinations. antenna and drone side.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164