There's an App for that? ;)

Reaction score
You know how when a passenger jet crashes, there is an emergency beacon that is triggered to help people find what's left?
How difficult would it be to have a similar thing for our drones? We can look at our screens and locate the crash site by following to the gps marker or pin on the map.

If there is such a thing for drones, cool, but if not; why not? ;)

There are GPS tracking devices you can attach to your drone that use cell signal to communicate with the internet.
The AC has GPS of course but the only outbound communications it has is to your remote. I suppose you could go to last known location before losing signal where you probably can pick back up the AC's signal and get it's current location, assuming it still has power.
But then if you lost signal, RTH should kick in unless you set fail-safe to Hover or Land.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You know how when a passenger jet crashes, there is an emergency beacon that is triggered to help people find what's left?
How difficult would it be to have a similar thing for our drones? We can look at our screens and locate the crash site by following to the gps marker or pin on the map.

If there is such a thing for drones, cool, but if not; why not? ;)
Look up Trackmo, Marko Polo, etc. there are several lost bird tracking devices suitable for phantoms out there. Pros and cons of all have been extensively discussed on in threads on the forum.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I've been looking and the only one that makes sense for my area because of low cell coverage in the mountains and bad GPS down in gullies is the Marko Polo. Even that device won't work all the time.

Not all Jets with their multiple beacons work, MH370 still missing, Air France 447 took two years to find etc. Jet land crashes are easy to find because they make a big mess but drones have a very small foot print and you can't always rely on a beacon.

I'm still undecided if a MP is worth the money and may just take my chances.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl