The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

image.png

Just with a MaxxUAV IteLite DBS Antenna, unboosted, got a butt pucker at 60% and turned around. Good thing that I did though, with the wind aloft I was able to make it back and land with 8%.

3.89 miles

Company only advertises 3.1 miles max distance

MaxxUAV "Clean Install" Installation Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: REL57
Mine was 7.2mi r/t with only Inspire "C" RC no boosted, no problems, turned around for battery reasons also. Have posted the picture here also.

View attachment 53860

Just with a MaxxUAV IteLite DBS Antenna, unboosted, got a butt pucker at 60% and turned around. Good thing that I did though, with the wind aloft I was able to make it back and land with 8%.

3.89 miles

Company only advertises 3.1 miles max distance

MaxxUAV "Clean Install" Installation Guide

I am getting 10,000 feet each way with my P3 stock out of the box not even windsurfers. About to get a P4 so what can I expect stock?

I am getting 10,000 feet each way with my P3 stock out of the box not even windsurfers. About to get a P4 so what can I expect stock?
It is so unpredictable. One thing I can confirm. If you're flying with no obstructions or huge 2.4ghz interferences, you can definitely fly advertised 3.1 miles stock.

I flew 3.89 miles with just an antenna mod and had full bars for remote and HD link the whole time. The only thing that limited me from going farther is battery life.

Then there are places that I can't even break 1.5 miles with boosters and everything, stock antenna would get me like 2000 feet in those places, must be some kind of massive interference in that area.

I made it 3000 ft today before weak signal hit. Woohoo! Tomorrow I'm going to wrap myself in tin foil and see if I can make it 3100 feet.

I think the suggestions are pretty set, if you want to do one that will not void your RC warranty - windsurfer, if you want to get fancy then FPVLR or DBS (both require RC modification).
RC modification will not void your warranty. Just don't send the RC in when you send the aircraft in for warranty repair. They don't require your RC. They have plenty! :D

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Got 16000 feet with my P4 with windsurfers full lines, but I still orderd MaxxUAV IteLite DBS Antenna, this will diminish the pucker factor.

RC modification will not void your warranty. Just don't send the RC in when you send the aircraft in for warranty repair. They don't require your RC. They have plenty! :D
My apologies, I was referring to the RC warranty.

I think it's near impossible to remove and reinstall stock antennas without any kind of markings on it.

Got 16000 feet with my P4 with windsurfers full lines, but I still orderd MaxxUAV IteLite DBS Antenna, this will diminish the pucker factor.
Then you'll pucker as you're returning and hit the wind aloft while realizing the battery is running low. :)

Reactions: arcaine25
Could happen Ramphex, but I always go out far against the wind. I go up about 100 feet switch to atti and look at my drift and head into it. That day could only fly 17mph in p mode turned around at 54% and got home at 30% in atti. Dji go shows I hit 74mph coming back but healthy drone shows in the 50's. Big diff in stats using the same log?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My apologies, I was referring to the RC warranty.

I think it's near impossible to remove and reinstall stock antennas without any kind of markings on it.
No problem. What you state is very true. However replacement transmitters are easily found for under $200 from people who drowned or crashed their P3P's, and want out. The takeaway is you can mod your RC all you want and still preserve your aircraft warranty in case of nonpilot error crashes. The RC's don't crash!:cool:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
It is so unpredictable. One thing I can confirm. If you're flying with no obstructions or huge 2.4ghz interferences, you can definitely fly advertised 3.1 miles stock.

I flew 3.89 miles with just an antenna mod and had full bars for remote and HD link the whole time. The only thing that limited me from going farther is battery life.

Then there are places that I can't even break 1.5 miles with boosters and everything, stock antenna would get me like 2000 feet in those places, must be some kind of massive interference in that area.

Yes it is unpredictable ... there is no way most can know that there will be a little or a lot of 2.4 Ghz interference and I would not say anything is definite with the Phantom 4 range !!

That being said, for most who like to cruise around a bit the Ae mod is a step in the right direction ... I use DBS Mods myself

One thing I quickly found out ... this new Phantom 4 range truly sucks compared to the Phantom 3 Pro and that may change as they get firmware bugs sorted ...

I’m a newbie to all this and don’t know all the lingo yet so be patient please. I just bought the P4 to look at deer on our ranch. I flew to our pins which was about 7650 feet from the bunk house. Bunk house is highest point on ranch. I found the deer and hovered above them at about 75 feet and they didn’t even look up. When I started going a little lower I stated to loose signal so I went back up and it was fine. My son-in-law has a P3 and swears that if I get the DBS it sees through trees and I won’t have that problem. Before I void the warranty I just wanted some feed back. He swears by it and says I can get a used controller on ebay if I have problems… Your thought please

Last edited:
Hey there
yes there are two similar Ae (antenna) mods that most will get if they go down that road, I can only speak to the DBS mods and it basically does what they say ... google it for yourself. I think that would do it for ya given the distance you are talking about but just so you know ... if you want even more power you can opt for the "boosted mod" which uses an extra battery to power two small 2.4Ghz RF amps.

Again, I think you would be fine with the standard DBS mod and if looking at a used controller look for the GL300A which is said to put out about 25% more power than your standard P4 controller ... this was on the first gen P3 Pro's and has a slightly different config inside wrt the video cct.

While I have your ear ... please take it from someone who had to learn the hard way ... when you fly up high ( 300 - 400 +) try to fly against the wind if possible ... that way coming home will be easy and as planned ... to test wind take the AC up to your flying alt ... switch to atti mode in hover and see which way the wind is pushing from.

Have fun !!!

Reactions: jsposito
I’m a newbie to all this and don’t know all the lingo yet se be patient please. I just bought the P4 to look a deer at the ranch. I flew to our pins which was about 7650 feet from the bunk house. Bunk house is highest point on ranch. I found the deer and hovered above them at about 75 feet and they didn’t even look up. When I started going a little lower I stated to loose signal so I went back up and it was fine. My son-in-law has a P3 and swears that if I get the DBS it sees through trees and I won’t have that problem. Before I void the warranty I just wanted some feed back. He swears by it and says I can get a used controller on ebay… Your thought please

Hey there
yes there are two similar Ae (antenna) mods that most will get if they go down that road, I can only speak to the DBS mods and it basically does what they say ... google it for yourself. I think that would do it for ya given the distance you are talking about but just so you know ... if you want even more power you can opt for the "boosted mod" which uses an extra battery to power two small 2.4Ghz RF amps.

Again, I think you would be fine with the standard DBS mod and if looking at a used controller look for the GL300A which is said to put out about 25% more power than your standard P4 controller ... this was on the first gen P3 Pro's and has a slightly different config inside wrt the video cct.

While I have your ear ... please take it from someone who had to learn the hard way ... when you fly up high ( 300 - 400 +) try to fly against the wind if possible ... that way coming home will be easy and as planned ... to test wind take the AC up to your flying alt ... switch to atti mode in hover and see which way the wind is pushing from.

Have fun !!!
Thanks so much

Anytime ... glad to have helped

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures