Terrible lens flaring when drone is facing suns general direction? I mean like unusable terrible

I doubt that.
Perspex is much too prone to scratching to be used as a protective filter.
It sounds like glass when tapped.
Take it out and see. I was changing mine out for a Polar PL and the DJI filter dropped out of its holder and bounced on my tile floor. Mine is definitely not glass. Very thin perspex:(

Take it out and see. I was changing mine out for a Polar PL and the DJI filter dropped out of its holder and bounced on my tile floor. Mine is definitely not glass. Very thin perspex:(
My stock DJI UV filters on all my birds are definitely not glass either. Some form of plastic. I have had them loose, outside the threaded ring. Just push from the outer side of the threaded ring on the P3 series, when off the lens, and they pop right out. However, on the P4, they seem to be glued in.

Last edited:
Do they sell lens hoods for the P4P?
I was going to suggest a lens hood, but I don't know if they work with filters. Agree with the comments about the Polar Pro Cinema filter, I'm using the "Vivid" series, but not entirely happy with the results.

I was going to suggest a lens hood, but I don't know if they work with filters. Agree with the comments about the Polar Pro Cinema filter, I'm using the "Vivid" series, but not entirely happy with the results.
Because the GND and PL filters have a rotating ring that extends beyond the front of the screw on component, they act as defacto lens hoods of a sort. :cool:

Because the GND and PL filters have a rotating ring that extends beyond the front of the screw on component, they act as defacto lens hoods of a sort. :cool:
yeah....but I still could use a lens hood :/

View the image grabs below..

Anytime the drone faces the direction of the sun at all there are these massive rose pedal like flares that make teh image a complete potatoe.

This is after running into the App crashing issue on the + remote that so many others have had as well.

Been a very frustrating introduction to DJI drones.

I have a Yuneec q500 which on paper is inferior in every way yet, I would much rather use that for my shots than this turd image. I am hoping its just a lemon and am getting a replacement sent

Anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to cameras, sorry you had to find out this way.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Turn your Phantom around and use the sun rather than fighting it.

Exactly - I remember as a kid being told over n over again "face the direction of the sun when you are the object of a photo" - and - "keep the sun to your back when your the photographer"!

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
yeah....but I still could use a lens hood :/
Me, too! If you find a good one that works, let us know! Part of the problem with a protruding lens hood on a drone camera is that it catches the wind, which can stress the gimbal. At full speed, that can be a potential problem.

Reactions: Steve G
Exactly - I remember as a kid being told over n over again "face the direction of the sun when you are the object of a photo" - and - "keep the sun to your back when your the photographer"!

Except when the sun is part of the objects you actually want to film

Except when the sun is part of the objects you actually want to film

Or you need to fly in the direction of the sun, to get to your primary destination, at sunset, and want to record something interesting along the way...:cool:

Hogwash..
8658673201_b964dbecda_b.jpg
8965421366_ddd55bfc39_b.jpg

This is just Lens flare & light bloom, find the right combination filter for your lens to get the best result that you like, this is just simple photography & every lens handles direct light down the barrel differently, it is certainly NOT a fault just a common problem when shooting directly into a light source especially the sun as it is one of the strongest source of light there is. Many things will make the flares (or when I charge more for it - Highlights) look better, the height of the UAV, the distance of the sun from the horizon, the position of the sun in frame left right or centre, the shutter setting, the frame rate, the ISO setting, the exposure, the humidity, the filter combination or all, so just work out what makes it acceptable for you as it really is also just personal choice some people love that long colourful light ray effect or as said don't shoot into the sun.

This is just Lens flare & light bloom, find the right combination filter for your lens to get the best result that you like, this is just simple photography & every lens handles direct light down the barrel differently, it is certainly NOT a fault just a common problem when shooting directly into a light source especially the sun as it is one of the strongest source of light there is. Many things will make the flares (or when I charge more for it - Highlights) look better, the height of the UAV, the distance of the sun from the horizon, the position of the sun in frame left right or centre, the shutter setting, the frame rate, the ISO setting, the exposure, the humidity, the filter combination or all, so just work out what makes it acceptable for you as it really is also just personal choice some people love that long colourful light ray effect or as said don't shoot into the sun.
Every other camera lens comes with a lens hood. The P3P, P4, P4P, and Mavic do not. Makes a big difference! :cool:

Reactions: Shaun Flaherty
Every other camera lens comes with a lens hood. The P3P, P4, P4P, and Mavic do not. Makes a big difference! :cool:

Only problem is that they are ZERO help (when shooting ate the sun), I also have the Inspire Pro with an X5 camera, its lenses have lens hoods but they are completely useless when shooting at the sun OK is shooting towards but just under but if the sun or light source is in shot they are useless.

Only problem is that they are ZERO help (when shooting ate the sun), I also have the Inspire Pro with an X5 camera, its lenses have lens hoods but they are completely useless when shooting at the sun OK is shooting towards but just under but if the sun or light source is in shot they are useless.
Understood. However lens shades are for off axis shoting relative to the sun, to avoid lens flare. When shooting directly into the sun, you are on your own. All you can do is stack ND filters, until the sun is minimized.

Understood. However lens shades are for off axis shoting relative to the sun, to avoid lens flare. When shooting directly into the sun, you are on your own. All you can do is stack ND filters, until the sun is minimized.

You got it exactly correct, this is just a camera/lens inherent problem that all photographers have, more so with UAV's as the user is likely to be a lesser experienced photographer & the chance of shooting into the sun with a UAV is greater. It's also just a personal choice as some poeple love the flare effect in their shots while other try to eliminate all traces of it.

SUNRISE

uav-drone-100_orig.jpg

JUST MOMENTS EARLIER
uav-drone-073_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Hogwash..

LOL - "hogwash" - after looking at your photos - I would agree "hogwash" is a good response to my post!

I have found learning to fly these is the easy part - photography is a lot tougher to master or at least be decent at.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart