Terrible lens flaring when drone is facing suns general direction? I mean like unusable terrible

Forget looking for a replacement and try shooting with the sun instead of against it.
Any lens will flare when you stare into the sun - just to different degrees and with different patterns.
Many very expensive Nikon and Canon lenses have terrible flare under the same circumstances.
Turn your Phantom around and use the sun rather than fighting it.

Its a big difference between a terrible flare and a nice flare, most expensive lenses have a nice flare, the flares on this one is more of light bleeding all over due to optical distortions and imperfections.
A nice flare is very often used intenionally, so i have to disagree that you should never shoot against the sun, in this case yes, but for creative purposes, no, theres a reason you can even buy lens flare plugins :)

There is only so much DJI can do with the weight limitations. No way the P4P lens could ever perform like a 1-lb 10+ element piece of glass as you might find in a good SLR.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Do they sell lens hoods for the P4P?

My friend, lenshoods will do nothing if you are shooting directly into the sun. Since the beginning of photography, shooting into the sun always proves troublesome. As I understand it, the elements in the P4P lens are plastic, not glass and probably not multicoated (which helps with lens flare). But that not withstanding, everything I was taught (45 years ago when I was just starting out), advised the photographer to avoid shooting directly into the sun, as it always produces unpredictable results. Cheers-
zeldon50

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Its a big difference between a terrible flare and a nice flare, most expensive lenses have a nice flare, the flares on this one is more of light bleeding all over due to optical distortions and imperfections.
A nice flare is very often used intenionally, so i have to disagree that you should never shoot against the sun, in this case yes, but for creative purposes, no, theres a reason you can even buy lens flare plugins :)
Totally agree if those are the kinda shots you like I wouldn't bail on shooting into the sun instead I'd just learn the ropes of doing so cause it's very possible

View the image grabs below..

Anytime the drone faces the direction of the sun at all there are these massive rose pedal like flares that make the image a complete potato.

The front filter of the P4P camera is perspex, not glass. Perspex is not great at handling direct light, it will flare. ND's do not stop flare, they are as the name says, just neutral density, but if they are made of good glass, they will be much better then the perspex original. The only way to shoot directly into the sun, with any lens, is to have good glass and in the P4P's case, a good front glass filter. Filter also needs to be very clean. So best to change out the stock filter to any good glass type, either clear, ND or PL.

Another possibility is a degree of 'misting' can appear on a lens that has come from a cold environment (air con) to a warm moist environment. This could also be if the P4P has spent time at a higher, colder altitude, descending suddenly to a lower, moister, warmer altitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Am I the only one believing that no filter can change lens flare?

It s caused by light entering the lens and hitting one of the elements which causes flares.
Filters will - if anything - introduce additional flare.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I keep an nd16 on most of the time - it comes off post sunset and when flying at night. Unless it's really dark out, the won't be any adverse effects to using a heavier density filter. Most of my pictures are sunset pictures - literally 10's of GB of sunset pictures alone, and I get no flaring (or very little). I usually shoot with the sun directly in the center of the frame.

i have a very similar pic. i flew off pier A in hoboken. where are you?
That was off of 2nd St. in Jersey City, When I first got my P4P I had a little mishap flying from the same spot to 14 st. Hoboken and I lost feed and it went into RTH but the height wasn't set high enough , Steven's Tech was slightly in the way..:oops:
Enjoy..

That was off of 2nd St. in Jersey City, When I first got my P4P I had a little mishap flying from the same spot to 14 st. Hoboken and I lost feed and it went into RTH but the height wasn't set high enough , Steven's Tech was slightly in the way..:oops:
Enjoy..
OMG. thats a nightmare come to life, let me know if you ever want to fly together. would be cool getting a shot of the other drone getting a shot of NYC skyline

I shot this into the sun. PolarPro ND16. I think the flare is reasonable.
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.48.08 PM.png

OMG. thats a nightmare come to life, let me know if you ever want to fly together. would be cool getting a shot of the other drone getting a shot of NYC skyline
Your a brave man for wanting to be anywhere near me after seeing that:D
Yeah I sure once the weather warms up a bit we can link on a weekend ....

I remember that thread. Did you ever find out why object avoidance didn't work for you? Was it turned on?

Forget looking for a replacement and try shooting with the sun instead of against it.
Any lens will flare when you stare into the sun - just to different degrees and with different patterns.
Many very expensive Nikon and Canon lenses have terrible flare under the same circumstances.
Turn your Phantom around and use the sun rather than fighting it.
Also consider using a GND filter. I recently started using one, and it really helps! The front of the GND8 also extends beyond the original UV filter, also acting as a lens hood of sorts, minimizing lens flare from the side. :cool:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka