Taking the Curve out of a photo

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the curvature from a still photo? I have the P2V and am taking aerials of our property and want to straighten the image. Thanks! (I do not have Adobe software…)

JimKosinski said:
Not sure how you would do this without some type of image editing program. Elements is good and relatively inexpensive and I have read good things (I'm a PC) about a program called Pixelmator, also affordable.

Pull_up has this in his signature block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7FK79Z ... e=youtu.be

how to remove fisheye effect

WeaponsHot said:
JimKosinski said:
Not sure how you would do this without some type of image editing program. Elements is good and relatively inexpensive and I have read good things (I'm a PC) about a program called Pixelmator, also affordable.

Pull_up has this in his signature block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7FK79Z ... e=youtu.be

how to remove fisheye effect
I use Gimp as well. It's free and it works pretty well.

Another vote here for GIMP as an easy and FREE way to do a very decent job of removing curvature in P2 Vision pictures.

I learned the method by watching the video that member Pull_Up (Simon Newton) has on YouTube.

C-Mac13 said:
Couldn't you just use GoPro Studio? It's free, easy to use, and has that capability.
http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-stu ... t-software
GoPro Studio only works for video, not stills as the OP is asking about. It's one of the things that annoys me most about gopro. Since the camera takes both videos and photos, seems like it should be able to process both. :x

I tried GIMP and a few others to correct the fish eye effect and found that the "best" way was to go into Adobe Photoshop, pull down Lens Correction, and then use either the correction for the Vision camera, or for Nikon's f.2 (or f.5) fish eye lens.

skyelf said:
What is the best way to remove the curvature from a still photo? I have the P2V and am taking aerials of our property and want to straighten the image. Thanks! (I do not have Adobe software…)
The best way, to the best of my knowledge, is to get Adobe. (PhotoShop? Lightroom?). As others have stated, there is built-in ability to apply lens-specific correction for the Phantom Vision camera.

Does your statement that you do not have Adobe software mean that you do not intend to get Adobe software? If so, please rephrase your question to keep us from having different interpretations of your intent. :D

Great Pumpkin said:
I tried GIMP and a few others to correct the fish eye effect and found that the "best" way was to go into Adobe Photoshop

We can expect even better results when Adobe will release FC200 profile for DNG images.

Start by adjusting the FOV (field of vision) setting on the PV2 camera settings to the narrowest. After that I use the Lens Correction in Photoshop Lightroom 5.

Meled63 said:
Start by adjusting the FOV (field of vision) setting on the PV2 camera settings to the narrowest. After that I use the Lens Correction in Photoshop Lightroom 5.

FOV setting has no effect in still photos. And the Adobe FC200 (JPG) profile is for 140 deg. FOV.

Thanks for all the input, pilots!

I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Elements and that helps…GIMP crashed, so will have to try it again. We use Final Cut Pro for our production work, and simply haven't gotten the Adobe software - yet.

Appreciate all the advice & suggestions!

:)

xplorer said:
I use the free GML Undistorter.
It can batch-process an entire directory of images and save the results in a sub-folder.
Get it here:
http://graphics.cs.msu.su/en/node/898
Enjoy!
Thanks for that link! That's a much smaller program than GIMP, but does the one thing that I use GIMP for, and has batch processing as well, saving a lot of time. Much appreciated!

Here's a before and after using Lightroom 5.4 lens profile correction for FC200 camera.

CCE-UNcorrected-119-L.jpg

After correction:

CCE_CORRECTED-119-L.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl