Tablet suggestions

Reaction score
My cell phone is just too small so I want to buy a tablet. I'm going to stick with an android because they are so familiar to me. I'm looking for suggestions in the $100 price range that work well with my P3P. There are plenty of 10" tablets in that range, but hopefully someone has first hand experience. Just as good would be what ones not to buy.
Thanks

Staying with Android I can't help. I use an iPad mini2. Refurbished run about $200 or pickup a used one. It works great for me. Phones are too small and an normal IPad is too big and too heavy in my opinion.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I'm not as young as I used to be and need something I can see....lol. The bigger the better.

The Nividia Shield has proven to be a great android workhorse of a tablet, but, they are around 200 + .
I;ve used the shield since day 1 for my P3A without any issues.
Partnered with my Mavic pro I have the Acer Iconia one, which also works with no lag, no dropouts, no problems at all. The Acer I bought at Canada Computers for 90 odd dollars, refurbished units are anywhere from 65 to 88 dollars. It seems , you have to get the Acer iconia with the MedTek processor I think its # 770-or 780,
I can post the exact model # for you or go over to Mavic posts & look up "Android tablets that work with the DJI go 4 apps".
Couple weeks ago, I'd left the shield at home & did hook up the Acer to the Phantom, I flew a waypoint mission using the Litchi app, 3 -4 flights with no issues at all.

The Nividia Shield has proven to be a great android workhorse of a tablet, but, they are around 200 + .
I;ve used the shield since day 1 for my P3A without any issues.
Partnered with my Mavic pro I have the Acer Iconia one, which also works with no lag, no dropouts, no problems at all. The Acer I bought at Canada Computers for 90 odd dollars, refurbished units are anywhere from 65 to 88 dollars. It seems , you have to get the Acer iconia with the MedTek processor I think its # 770-or 780,
I can post the exact model # for you or go over to Mavic posts & look up "Android tablets that work with the DJI go 4 apps".
Couple weeks ago, I'd left the shield at home & did hook up the Acer to the Phantom, I flew a waypoint mission using the Litchi app, 3 -4 flights with no issues at all.

Another vote for the Nvidia Shield.

The perfect size, with more than enough power for what you want it to do.

Another vote for the Nvidia Shield.

The perfect size, with more than enough power for what you want it to do.

I've always heard good things about the Nvidia Shield --- and it's the only tablet with an HDMI output, right? That would make it an ideal companion for my Headplay goggles, since I could see the full GO app display in the goggles instead of the limited telemetry you get with the HDMI output module.

I've always heard good things about the Nvidia Shield --- and it's the only tablet with an HDMI output, right? That would make it an ideal companion for my Headplay goggles, since I could see the full GO app display in the goggles instead of the limited telemetry you get with the HDMI output module.

I'm not sure if it's the only tablet with an hdmi port anymore, but 2 years ago when I last flew it was.

You can find them used for $150-$200 and it's unbeatable in my opinion.

I'm not sure if it's the only tablet with an hdmi port anymore, but 2 years ago when I last flew it was.
You can find them used for $150-$200 and it's unbeatable in my opinion.

Yeah I would think by now there has to be more than just one model of tablet with an HDMI out port. I know for sure iPad will never have one!

Although I must admit --- the DJI Goggles and it's wireless connection to the Mavic Pro is the proper way to use goggles for FPV. Having a cable tethered from goggles to a tablet will always be awkward and clumsy.

Yeah I would think by now there has to be more than just one model of tablet with an HDMI out port. I know for sure iPad will never have one!

Although I must admit --- the DJI Goggles and it's wireless connection to the Mavic Pro is the proper way to use goggles for FPV. Having a cable tethered from goggles to a tablet will always be awkward and clumsy.

I feel you on that. With my old FPV goggles and my FPVLR mods, I had wires and batteries and stuff all over!

Took a good 12 minutes each time I wanted to fly, just to set stuff up.

I bought a galaxy tab 4 and would not recommend it.
It does not run very smoothly (lots of lag) and does not compare to using my galaxy S7 phone.
I like the bigger screen, but the tablet is not stable enough for me to trust it. I've never actually used it to fly, I now just use it for adjusting settings, updating, or creating litchi waypoint missions (it's almost worthless to me really).

I found that the processor speed and RAM on my galaxy S7 is much better than the galaxy tab 4 (7" model).

I have been flying with the nVidia shield K1 for a while now. Its a great match to the phantom and now my I1 and I will be getting a 2nd one for the 2nd controller for the I1.

It will run any of the apps and run them very very well. Its built for speed. Its built for graphics (games). Doing streaming video isn't much of a challenge for it. I have flown in fairly hot weather and not experienced the shutdowns that many Apple products do. And it has built in screen casting, recording and screenshots. No extra app needed.

Its not in your $100 range unfortunately. Its pushing toward $200 in most cases. But, unfortunately, most of anything in a $100 range is going to be woefully under powered or not even capable (ie missing GPS or some other critical thing). When looking for a tablet, it MUST have a USB port. And it MUST have GPS or the GO app will list it as incompatible. You can force install without GPS but without a USB port, you can't connect it to the RC.

If you go with the K1, which I would suggest you do, grab an anti-glare screen protector for it. These are the ones I got and use:
3X SuperShieldz Anti Glare Matte Screen Protector For NVIDIA Shield Tablet / K1 | eBay
They do lower the brightness somewhat but they kill reflections so the gain is more than the loss IMHO.

I have tried loads but the IPAD Mini 2 is the by far the best for the money. There is no lag, you can have cellular function if you want, and works seamlessly. The only con is it does not like 90 degree plus heat on hot sunny days, which is no issue in the UK![emoji3]

Just curious Macoman.... does that tablet have GPS? I didn't see that in the specs.

Whatever you get, consider battery life. I have used some tablets and the battery life iwas terrible. I now use an iPad 3 which has good battery life.

Just curious Macoman.... does that tablet have GPS? I didn't see that in the specs.
It has GPS plus slot to put sim card if you have service with a wireless company. It has all the features of a premium tablet with cellular service at a cheaper cost and it is fast.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor