sUAS Drone Rights - Who is representing our rights?

Reaction score
To All,

I live in the bay area, it seems like almost every area is becoming a no fly zone...who in government is protecting and representing our rights to fly as a hobby? Having to pass a test to sell my drone photographs really seems like excessive government intervention. Flying responsibly without excessive government regulations is my interest. Let me know if we are all being relegated to fly in basically non-populated areas.

Regards

GM

Looks to me that the government is trying hard to restricted our hobby. Fortunately I live in Philadelphia and there is not too much regulations locally besides the normal thing, not flying around federal buildings, jails, city hall, etc.
I usually go to public parks, rivers, remote places where we have more freedom.

Reactions: skeptic49
To All,

I live in the bay area, it seems like almost every area is becoming a no fly zone...who in government is protecting and representing our rights to fly as a hobby? Having to pass a test to sell my drone photographs really seems like excessive government intervention. Flying responsibly without excessive government regulations is my interest. Let me know if we are all being relegated to fly in basically non-populated areas.

Regards

GM

The term 'responsibly' seems to vary amongst many.

Can you cite the specific Right you are referring to?

Currently the AMA represents many hobby model aircraft operators.

Have you read their guidelines?

Where are these places which meet those guidelines that you are being denied flight?

The APP No Fly Zone has perhaps 90+% of the East Bay and SF downtown areas designated as no fly zones. I am a photographer and would like the right to fly perhaps 15- 75 feet high in some areas for aerial photographs, the no fly zones make this illegal from my understanding of the FAA regulations (within 5 miles of airports, heliports, helicopter pads, etc.). I wish to fly according to the law, but I also would like to have the freedom to take photo's while being responsible not to endanger people, animals or property. I believe we are being excessively regulated by the FAA and local governments being anti-drone.

Having to pass a test to sell my drone photographs really seems like excessive government intervention. Flying responsibly without excessive government regulations is my interest.
I hear you and don't disagree. It makes a little more sense when you realized that (in the US) the FAA controls _all_ aircraft in the skies... even _any_ type of RC models. However, Congress has limited their control over RC models when they are used for hobby use. So the existing laws have been relaxed for hobby us (not increased for commercial use).

Reactions: N017RW
mingga, I also hear you and also don't disagree. Unfortunately you live in an area that has very mixed political views with regards to technology, privacy and freedom of speech. I feel the image of sUAS operations will be forever tarnished thanks to the actions of a few morons who got their 60 seconds of fame. I think it's going to be a hard road to convince government (especially in the Bay Area) to reverse some of the restrictions they've come up with.

When I lived in SoCal during the 1970s, the saying was "Skateboarding is not a crime." Amazing where we have come in 40 years!

Last edited:
To All, Thanks for your input and opinions. I just want the right to be able to fly responsibly, take my pictures/video's and take the pictures of this great land without excessive listings of no fly zones where I really do not impede the flight of aircrafts. I watched the other day a small aircraft fly underneath the golden gate bridge, then return over the top of the bridge, obviously done for someone's pleasure and enjoyment, give us some rights to fly responsibly ( I would have liked to fly over the beach overlooking the golden gate bridge...another no fly zone).

GM

To All, Thanks for your input and opinions. I just want the right to be able to fly responsibly, take my pictures/video's and take the pictures of this great land without excessive listings of no fly zones where I really do not impede the flight of aircrafts. I watched the other day a small aircraft fly underneath the golden gate bridge, then return over the top of the bridge, obviously done for someone's pleasure and enjoyment, give us some rights to fly responsibly ( I would have liked to fly over the beach overlooking the golden gate bridge...another no fly zone).

GM
If perspective was not playing tricks on you, and you actually witnessed someone flying under the bridge, rest assured they will be getting a notice from the FAA to show cause why they believe their pilot certificate should not be suspended or revoked.

To All,

Regards

GM
You did not have to pass a test to sell your photographs. You had to pass a pathetically inadequate test to allow you the privilege of operating in the NAS, while performing commercial operations.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
May I draw attention to this marvelous piece of footage and then ponder why SF is so restricted.

It certainly is pretty.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT