Strong wireless interference

The wind warnings I get are always when the phantom is at a good height, so never quite sure whether they are genuine, and indeed, what the threshold is?
If you could hack into the parameter settings of the P4, you'll find the wind warning is set to "6", presumably meters per second, which is about 13mph. This estimation is done with craft angle, measured with the IMU, which isn't an accurate way to measure wind speed, hence the annoying warnings. The most accurate way to check wind speed at altitude is to flip the craft into ATTI, give no stick input, and watch it drift with the wind. Watch the MPH speed in Go increase. When it stops increasing, there's your actual wind speed. Usually it takes about 20-30 seconds of drifting to determine actual wind speed.

If you could hack into the parameter settings of the P4, you'll find the wind warning is set to "6", presumably meters per second, which is about 13mph.

That's interesting, thanks John. So it must be a measure of inclination but compensated for ground speed I guess?

It would be useful to adjust it, or even better might be to damp the response to gusts. How do you access the setting? .

That's interesting, thanks John. So it must be a measure of inclination but compensated for ground speed I guess?

It would be useful to adjust it, or even better might be to damp the response to gusts. How do you access the setting? .
That subject can't be discussed here, but you need craft firmware 1.3.509 or earlier to do it. This is why I don't upgrade, so I can adjust my craft flight "parameters". I'm free as a bird. I even got rid of the REV REV at startup and reduced idle speed 50%.

Reactions: Droneboondocker
That subject can't be discussed here, but you need craft firmware 1.3.509 or earlier to do it. This is why I don't upgrade, so I can adjust my craft flight "parameters". I'm free as a bird. I even got rid of the REV REV at startup and reduced idle speed 50%.
Pity!
Still, I know more about the wind levels actually hitting the Phantom than before, so that's useful. You'd think with all that info available it could give you data about gust levels, which would be much more useful in many situations than just "strong wind" warnings. In Wales (UK) we can seen the basic wind by watching all the rain clouds steaming past!

Reactions: a31burgervan
Pity!
Still, I know more about the wind levels actually hitting the Phantom than before, so that's useful. You'd think with all that info available it could give you data about gust levels, which would be much more useful in many situations than just "strong wind" warnings. In Wales (UK) we can seen the basic wind by watching all the rain clouds steaming past!
Some believe the wind warning is a ruse. It appeared in the P4P software shortly after people were complaining about the gimbal flip. The flips occur with wind and high speed. So some believe the wind warnings were to deter people from flying in the least amount of wind to mitigate the gimbal flip problem. If you complained about gimbal flips, DJI would request the flight log from the flight. When they see the wind warning logged onto your flight, DJI would say, "well, did you know you were flying in high winds? You shouldn't do that." Given the warnings happen at such low wind threshold, I tend to agree the warnings are a ruse, a patch for a flawed gimbal. I certainly ignored them when I saw them, but not any more, I was able to turn them off!

The good news it that it appears DJI figured out the problem and fixed it in the P4PO. Reports are saying the gimbal flip is gone.

Some believe the wind warning is a ruse
I see your point - suppose covering your back is human nature! I've been untouched by most of the niggles that beset some people with their gimbals, so no complaints there. I probably don't fly quickly enough.

Good info John,taken aboard,I had flip flop issues with cam on p4s,I even posted it,with no wind,,yip easy to get upset when cam don't play fair,these are after all flying cameras, unusable footage just suxs when you think you got something good,,my issue came good on latest update,no more flip flop even in the wind,hope me drone just had a cold

I see your point - suppose covering your back is human nature! I've been untouched by most of the niggles that beset some people with their gimbals, so no complaints there. I probably don't fly quickly enough.
If you leave OA enabled this limits your speed to about 30 mph. Going that speed with no wind mitigates the gimbal flip problem quite well. You will rarely see the problem at that speed. The 30 mph max speed is also helpful to optimize flight time and keeping the props out of the view. Basically avoiding S mode while recording is a good work around to the gimbal flip issue, if you're seeing it. If you always fly with OA enabled you won't see the problem, unless there's wind.

,I had flip flop issues with cam on p4s,I even posted it,with no wind,,
Thats odd for the P4. I had never heard a complaint or experienced any flip issues with the P4 gimbal and camera. I've only heard complaints and experienced it with P4P. I always presumed this was due to the larger and heavier 1"sensor camera of the P4P was used with the original P4 gimbal design, and it couldn't sufficiently handle the added weight in all scenarios, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
We fly the Pro Plus controller and we are always getting that Wi Fi interference signal and to turn it off, I turn off the Wi Fi on my Iphone which I almost always have with me and still . what is maddening about this is when I start flying it goes away but than
after I start to fly over the Lake Erie ti come back . Annoying at best.

One other thing we noticed was that when we used to fly near the power poles we did use to get the Magnetic Interference an that completely went away with that last firmware update . So this to may just be another update coming.

Not sure if the problem was addressed by DJI, but I’m downloading litchi and also experience with vr glasses.

If you could hack into the parameter settings of the P4, you'll find the wind warning is set to "6", presumably meters per second, which is about 13mph. This estimation is done with craft angle, measured with the IMU, which isn't an accurate way to measure wind speed, hence the annoying warnings. The most accurate way to check wind speed at altitude is to flip the craft into ATTI, give no stick input, and watch it drift with the wind. Watch the MPH speed in Go increase. When it stops increasing, there's your actual wind speed. Usually it takes about 20-30 seconds of drifting to determine actual wind speed.

Hey John we learn a lot from your posts and this one is brilliant, the reason why this is so great is a lot of times we think there is no wind because it not whipping trees.
So by dropping into atty mode it will give us a better feel for the wind than my great great grandma's indian blood guesses that I tend to make, . Great Post.

hi all. New here. I'm constantly getting this message, "strong wireless interference" from my controller whether the quad is turned on or off. I do have a wireless system in my home but I can't shut that down without taking my computers off the web.

How dangerous is this? I do have a "fly with caution" tagged onto that too.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Russ

Honestly I don't think it matters I always get it and even 16,000+ ft out I still have almost perfect signal with this message popping up.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Yes I have to agree , That message pops up all the time and I just ignore it now, a few months back its was magnetic interference , I have not see that pop up in a long time so this must be another fix to come soon. Good call

I also get the wireless interference at my house and it will make me lose contact with my drone. I just turn my router off and that takes care of it.

Yip in app under "HD"you can change channel by clicking custom instead of it being on auto,this let's you change channel

Ok, figured that out, and probably my problem. I can fly about 10 feet before losing connection. I can't imagine my wifi signal is the issue, nor my satellite dishes, and I'm over 200 yards from the power lines on the edge of my property. However, every radio channel is either very slightly green, showing strong red (unstable) or nothing at all. I switched to 20, which had a short, green bar, but that wasn't much better. I don't understand what's causing this. Do I have a messed up controller?

Last edited:
Ok, figured that out, and probably my problem. I can fly about 10 feet before losing connection. I can't imagine my wifi signal is the issue, nor my satellite dishes, and I'm over 200 yards from the power lines on the edge of my property. However, every radio channel is either very slightly green, showing strong red (unstable) or nothing at all. I switched to 20, which had a short, green bar, but that wasn't much better. I don't understand what's causing this. Do I have a messed up controller?
Have you tried another usb cord,could be bad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl