Stress Cracks with New Motors

Are the new motors and upgrade for the phantom or are they coming equipped when you purchase one now?

I just got my p3a Tuesday this week from Amazon prime and it has the old motors on it. To

Not an upgrade.... You would have to replace all ESCs and Motors.

Stock from DJI California last week!

The dealers probably still have some of the older ones in stock-- so you got the older motors-- You may have to order from DJI direct to get the new motors.

Correct! Ordered form DJI and it shipped from California.

Correct! Ordered form DJI and it shipped from California.
If these motor upgrades were put out to fix the shell cracking, they should recall all old stock from dealers and replace with the new motor P3's-- so everyone ordering now would receive the newer motors. But that is not happening, we know that.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Yea I have another one coming to me today but it's not got the new motors on, I have been told tho that they have changed the shells. You can't tell by looking but they are different now.

Is there a way to tell which motors I have without taking it all apart?
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443856601.167841.jpg

There is a little spanner for the original motors, fits into the arms.
You don't need that spanner, finger tight is sufficient-- they are advertised as "self tightening.

You don't need that spanner, finger tight is sufficient-- they are advertised as "self tightening.

And how do you get them off when you have an accidental bump which causes the props to get stuck?

And how do you get them off when you have an accidental bump which causes the props to get stuck?
I have a small pair of pliers and with a piece of cloth on the jaws, it would be easy to hold the motor to spin the prop off-- those spanner wrenches originated with the P1 and P2 when the prop hubs were metal -- they work ok on the P3 with the older motors if you need to hold the motor, but I haven't used mine but about twice since I learned that the P3 props did not have to be tightened using that wrench. The literally only have to be finger tight.

what's the difference between both types of motors regarding the function ??
the outer hub is different, the back is flat, -- and they have about 50 grams more power according to a previous post.

Yea I have another one coming to me today but it's not got the new motors on, I have been told tho that they have changed the shells. You can't tell by looking but they are different now.

How can you tell the shell is different? My P3P is coming tomorrow. Hopefully it's reinforced now.

IMO that crack looks more like user damage... Bending the arm while putting it in the case or something similar.

(Not accusing OP, just commenting on the nature of the crack)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl