Strange behaviour from phantom 3 std RC

Reaction score
Hi All, newbie here!
Having very strange behaviour with my phantom 3 standard and RC, it's very similar to a few threads I've read but just can't seem to nail this one (usually I'll find an answer here without posting, superb forum by the way!)
Anyway, after a mild crash - part of gimbal slightly bent, repaired damage and fitted new ribbon cable, booted up drone and had no video feed or any other feedback from app, immediately thought it was new cable (opted for cheaper version), so ordered new, more expensive cable from DJI, fitted new cable, booted up drone and same thing, no feedback whatsoever from app? the RC LED is staying red although the drone's (connection) LED goes green straight away. Tried re-linking RC to drone but times out every time.
I tried to manually update to the latest firmware (several times) but gimbal goes solid red after around 20 seconds (with constant beep), can't do it through app because of the no feedback issue, but here's the strange thing, the drone will go through all the usual rear light sequence, and eventually end up with slow blinking green lights, I have total control over the drone from RC, despite the red LED light, I can move gimbal (slightly) left & right, fully up & down and even start the blades and fly, albeit without satellites, but still get no feedback at all from app, no video, battery life of drone, battery life of RC, nothing! Tried uninstalling and reinstalling app several times!
At a complete loss and hoping for some expert advice!
Cheers

Wow! over a week and 80 views but no answer, now I'm getting worried!
I've tried various things but still no green LED from RC and no feedback from app (phone screen), when trying to manually update firmware through SD card, I can now get the normal - update in progress - beeping noise before it goes solid beeeeeeeeeeeeep and solid red light on gimbal, so there is some improvement there, I think, but still no feedback from app. One thing I noticed was when using DJI app on samsung s3 2017 phone, the main screen had 'weak remote control signal' scrolling in red at top of screen but with the iphone SE there was no warning of weak signal, although the screen was still blank???

Running out of brain cells here guys!!!

You're right this is a tough one. I have no idea what the solution is or even how to go about solving it. However the first thought I had would be to contact DJI. I know results from this course of action can be variable however it appears your don't have many options open at this stage.

Hopefully my response prompts others to respond.

Cheers

Thanks Stevo0596. yeah I'm thinking this would be the last resort - contacting DJI

I have been trying to retrace my steps to see if I have missed something and just remembered that when I first realised that there was no feedback from app (after the DJI ribbon cable was fitted), I tried to update the firmware through the SD card, during this I interrupted the process thinking there was a problem but when I tried again I got the very loud beeping noise.
After some more desperate googling I found advice on how to fix this (basically let it continue updating and loud beeping will stop), after the loud beeping stopped, update continued as normal for around 10 mins then stopped with the full red light and constant beeping (quieter beeping), this is where I am now!!

Think I will contact DJI and take it from there, I'll post fix once I eventually get one.

@pek54
Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry nobody has helped you out, these threads get buried pretty quick if there not kept active.

Not sure if you know or I'm 100% correct, but the signals that are sent to the remote (video and telemetry) come from the gimbal and amplified with a WiFi type board. The telemetry and video are sent on two different channels of WiFi frequencies which goes to the antenna on the Phantom, remote picks it up and then is sent WiFi to your mobile.

So what I do know is no gimbal, no information, you can fly without a gimbal, but you never be able to re link to another remote. If the gimbal works but the camera doesn't, I'm sure you could re link and you would have telemetry.

Anybody else got something to add or subtract?

Rod

A new camera or send it in for repair may be your best bet. The cameras though are around 250 bucks. Keep the broken one for repairs, learning.

Thanks Rod
I think I understand what you're saying (although starting to go over my head!).
No gimbal means no feedback whatsoever, video or telemetry but still able to fly drone, no camera means (to me anyway), you can still fly drone but you have no video feedback at all but surely you should still have basic feedback such as compass readings, aircraft battery levels etc.? or am I on wrong foot here?

Hi stuka75, yeah buying new camera has crossed my mind but regarding my point above, if it was only camera faulty, should I not be getting other feedback through app (not video related), £250 is a lot to chance o_O (me being Scottish an all :))

Thanks Rod
I think I understand what you're saying (although starting to go over my head!).
No gimbal means no feedback whatsoever, video or telemetry but still able to fly drone, no camera means (to me anyway), you can still fly drone but you have no video feedback at all but surely you should still have basic feedback such as compass readings, aircraft battery levels etc.? or am I on wrong foot here?

Hi stuka75, yeah buying new camera has crossed my mind but regarding my point above, if it was only camera faulty, should I not be getting other feedback through app (not video related), £250 is a lot to chance o_O (me being Scottish an all :))
All your telemetry data comes thru the camera I believe. I had a p3s without a camera, and no data/telemetry was available. In fact I couldn't link a controller with the ac unless it had a camera.
And, Im Scottish descent as well with the same financial reluctance:)

Reactions: RodPad
Anybody else?

Rod

Thanks guys, do you think the camera can just pack in like that, I mean it wasn't hit in the crash (I think!) because drone was moving very slow and when watching the footage, you still see the video from drone when it's lying on the ground (after crash).
My theory is this, after repairing damage, when I interrupted the firmware upgrade and ended up with the VERY loud beeping stage, then waiting through this until loud beeping stopped, the firmware upgrade continued for around 15 mins then stopped with the dreaded continuous beep, I think the drone has updated and the RC hasn't, meaning we now have different versions of firmware, is this possible or am I now clutching at straws here!
Greig

If the gimbal is working correctly, I still think that you would get telemetry from the gimbal without a camera, from my memory. :rolleyes:
You got so many variables going on. ;)
I'm confused on how you would do a firmware update if the camera was bad, I guess a failed firmware could of caused your current problem?
So have you looked at the files on the SD card?
There will be a file that would be a standard text file that shows how the update went.

Rod

Hi Rod
The text file on SD card is just the usual 'Update failed reboot aircraft and try again' message.
Although (and this is weird ), when I put SD card into camera - with SD card formatted and new firmware installed - and start drone, the update lasts around 30 secs before the beep of death, but if I connect drone to laptop via USB port, then insert SD card and boot up drone the update goes through the 'green - red light' sequence and beep update for around 2 minutes before failing :(
It's just you start to try anything and in any order to see if something will work, Ha!

You have two places you can hook the USB cable to.
Which one are you using?

Rod

I'm using the USB on the actual drone not the one on the gimbal, never really noticed the other one, might give that one a try?

Quick update, when plugging in the USB on the gimbal laptop says 'USB not recognised' and drone just does a very slow beep.......beep, and that's with SD card in camera, it doesn't try to update firmware at all (I think)
Greig

I'm using the USB on the actual drone not the one on the gimbal, never really noticed the other one, might give that one a try?
I use that one all the time to download the pics and vids, it will show up as external drive. I hate messing with those tiny cards.
You should be able to see everything on the card, if you turn on view hidden files.

I think hooking your computer to the Phantom itself, it is probably ignoring what is on the SD card. (Why it goes green).

I was going to tell you to try to format the card, leave it blank, Turn on the Phantom and remote, start the motors, shut down. Then look at the card, they create files on the card to store the pictures, etc. I think all flights are recorded, whether you get in the air or not.

What protocol are formatting the card at, and size of card?

Rod

Quick update, when plugging in the USB on the gimbal laptop says 'USB not recognised' and drone just does a very slow beep.......beep, and that's with SD card in camera, it doesn't try to update firmware at all (I think)
Greig
I'm and work, and my standard has been grounded for a few months. :rolleyes:
The card goes in the camera, not the gimbal?
You hook the USB to the gimbal not the camera?

Rod

Sorry I wasn't clear on last post.
Card is in camera and usb was plugged into top of gimbal, that's where I got the 'USB not recognised' notice.
I know usb can't plug into camera,just never tried the usb on gimbal, always used the usb on drone itself.

I'll play around with it for a bit and post back any developments, cheers for the help though Rob
don't work too hard :p

I was just making sure I was correct in wording because P3A the USB and Card is on the gimbal.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT